HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Strange sound and taste from new pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Strange sound and taste from new pipe   Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:10 pm

I got the Savinelli Sandblast Churchwarden on Friday and smoked 1/2 a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Aro as my break in tobacco since the pipe is for aromatics. The Pipe came pre-carbonized and I didn't remove it. Last night, after 2 days of rest, I smoked a full bowl. It was great. I was smoking slow and the bowl wasn't hot and if It became uncomfortable, I would put it down. I passed the halfway point and when I lit the pipe I heard a sizzling, crackling noise that I've never heard before from any blend or pipe. I run cleaners through regularly to keep the moisture out. The sound disappeared, but then for a couple of puffs, the smoke tasted...funny, not quite like tobacco. I put the pipe down and stirred the remaining tobacco, which didn't seem to be that wet but was dark. I emptied the bowl and started to look inside to see if there was anything "unusual" I mean is it even possible to burnout a new pre-carbonized pipe on the second smoke?

I looked and there wasn't anything that seemed alarming but I am somewhat concerned. Should I remove the pre-carbon layer and see if anything's wrong?

PS I use a butane lighter and am prone to frequent relights
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Strange sound and taste from new pipe   Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 pm

bentbulldog wrote:
I got the Savinelli Sandblast Churchwarden on Friday and smoked 1/2 a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh Aro as my break in tobacco since the pipe is for aromatics. The Pipe came pre-carbonized and I didn't remove it. Last night, after 2 days of rest, I smoked a full bowl. It was great. I was smoking slow and the bowl wasn't hot and if It became uncomfortable, I would put it down. I passed the halfway point and when I lit the pipe I heard a sizzling, crackling noise that I've never heard before from any blend or pipe. I run cleaners through regularly to keep the moisture out. The sound disappeared, but then for a couple of puffs, the smoke tasted...funny, not quite like tobacco. I put the pipe down and stirred the remaining tobacco, which didn't seem to be that wet but was dark. I emptied the bowl and started to look inside to see if there was anything "unusual" I mean is it even possible to burnout a new pre-carbonized pipe on the second smoke?

I looked and there wasn't anything that seemed alarming but I am somewhat concerned. Should I remove the pre-carbon layer and see if anything's wrong?

PS I use a butane lighter and am prone to frequent relights

I've been eyeing those Sav. Churchwardens as well (maybe Xmas).
I know occasionally I get sizzling, crackling noises at relights, I always felt it was excess moisture buring off. Sounds like you're being careful to not overheat so I don't think it's anything to worry about.
I have another Sav that I removed the pre-carb (tasted nasty to me) from and I think it smokes very good, It's one of my dedicated Aro pipes.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Strange sound and taste from new pipe   Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:28 pm

If your holding the lighter right over the tobacco its probably mini-explosions on flint when it hits the heat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Strange sound and taste from new pipe   Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:07 pm

I have found stuff in tobacco (both tinned and bulk) that didn't belong there. Some string, netting, and other unidentified materials. It sounds like you've just encountered some, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Strange sound and taste from new pipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1