HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ahoy, Mateys!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:07 am

'Tis Sept. 19th, International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

So set to and hoist a noggin of rum, ye bilge-flooded scallywags!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:22 am

Did pirates really say Arrr! or Arrrgh!?................Probably not!

But just the same in the tradition of Hollywood...........Arrrgh!!!!!!

By the way, Johnny Depp can't hold a candle to Errol Flynn!!!

The origin of Hollywood's high-seas slang.
By Christopher Bonanos

Johnny Depp took home the best performance award at Sunday's MTV Movie Awards, for his role as Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (The third installment of the series topped the weekend box-office tallies again this past weekend, pulling in $43.2 million.) Depp's character famously speaks in a dissolute London mumble inspired by Keith Richards. But virtually all his crewmen hew to the classic movie-pirate patois, full of growled consonants and shiver-me-timbers slang. Wait, did pirates really say "arrrrr"?

Probably not. Both that phrase and the accent that goes with it are strictly Hollywood. The pirate phrase "Arrrgh" appeared in film as early as 1934; a character also uses the phrase in a 1940 novel by Jeffrey Farnol. But the phrase and accent were popularized by Robert Newton, the actor who played Long John Silver in the movies and on TV through much of the 1950s. Newton was from Dorset, in southwest England,* and the regional accent he brought to the movies included a rolled "r." Though Dorset may well have produced its share of sailors, they were hardly the only pirates out there; many seamen*—and especially the outlaws on pirate vessels—were people who struck out from oppressed nations, like Scotland and Ireland, to start over on the high seas.

So, was there a typical pirate accent at all? Among British outlaws, yes: The onboard speech was most likely underclass British sailor with extra curse words, augmented with a polyglot slang of French, Italian, Spanish, and Dutch picked up around the trade routes. "Arrrrr" is mostly fiction, as are a number of the other affiliated signifiers: People very rarely walked the plank*, and nobody has ever discovered an actual pirate treasure map. On the myth-confirming side, pirates were known to dress in loose clothing, guzzle rum and smash the empty bottles, and chase busty wenches through Caribbean ports.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:24 am

Be a good day to pop this one in the dvd player

puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Avast ye scurvy dogs.. batten down the hatches and fill ye pipes with Pirate Cake.. Terror of the 7 seas, arggg look smart me matey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:33 pm

A pirate walks into a tavern with a ships wheel attached to the front of his pants, the barmaid says "whatcha doin with the ships wheel on yer trousers?",,,the pirate replied " I dunno, but it's drivin me nuts",,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:09 pm

A young lad dressed as a pirate on Halloween night knocks on an elderly lady's door and says "Trick or Treat".

The lady opens the door and says "My oh my, a pirate from the high seas. Where are your buccaneers?

The lad replies "Under my bucking hat!"

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Tonight after the ball game I'm going to relax and watch a good movie...

hopefully it's rated Arrrrrrgh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Ahoy, Mateys!   Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:53 pm

mark wrote:
A pirate walks into a tavern with a ships wheel attached to the front of his pants, the barmaid says "whatcha doin with the ships wheel on yer trousers?",,,the pirate replied " I dunno, but it's drivin me nuts",,,

My wife came home from work about a month or 2 ago and tried to tell me this joke. Now she can not tell a joke but she does try her best to tell them. Her punch line was " steering me balls" About 2 days later she told me it was "driving me nuts"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ahoy, Mateys!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1