HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Good morning, Brothers... I have noticed something in my smoking habits: I most definitely would rather sit and smoke, maybe with a book, but always with a drink, usually industrial strength coffee, sometimes sparkling water. I find I get a much better experience with something to wet the palate. With that being said, I have a difficult time enjoying a pipe while working/walking/doing things. Just last weekend I tried to enjoy a pipe while floating down a river in my friend's boat. I was fishing and trying to smoke at the same time -- definitely did not work out favorably. I did not have enough focus to properly enjoy the smoke, and I found myself wanting water to wash down between puffs. I now only smoke when I can sit down and properly enjoy it. What about you guys? I find that even going for a walk in the park with my dog and pipe to be difficult at best. Just curious about others' experience...

TB
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:08 pm

I will smoke a pipe while walking and such, but i think it's counterproductive to pipe smoking. What makes us pipe smokers as opposed to cigarette or cigar smokers, is that we actually stop and enjoy life instead of trying to fit smoking in as the world spins faster.

Pipe smoking is more ritualistic, allows time for reflection. I actually have never smoked a pipe while fishing if you can believe that, but I may take a cob with me next time I get out on the resaca.
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:00 pm

I do smoke while doing other things, but I donīt enjoy it as much. It just has a "perfunctory" feel to it. Besides, my jaw doesnīt like clenching for long periods of time Mad . My last fishing smoke was on the East River near Gunnison CO. Caught several nice Browns, who I believe were partial to my blend at that time- as well as size 14 Stimulators!! One funny memory of that trip, one of my old Dunhills still has stains on the bowl where I got floatant on it!! Whenever I smoke that pipe now there is still an oily spot which shows as it heats up. It always brings back the memory of that day...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:23 am

MisterE wrote:
I do smoke while doing other things, but I donīt enjoy it as much. It just has a "perfunctory" feel to it. Besides, my jaw doesnīt like clenching for long periods of time Mad . My last fishing smoke was on the East River near Gunnison CO. Caught several nice Browns, who I believe were partial to my blend at that time- as well as size 14 Stimulators!! One funny memory of that trip, one of my old Dunhills still has stains on the bowl where I got floatant on it!! Whenever I smoke that pipe now there is still an oily spot which shows as it heats up. It always brings back the memory of that day...

NO WAY!! I just moved to Alaska from Gunnison, and know the East River like the back of my hand. In my opinion, the Gunnison Valley has some of the finest trout fishing in the country. Ever fish the Lake Fork... Soap Creek, or the Cochetopa? Great spots! How did you stumble onto the East, coming from Mexico -- I would bet there is a story there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:05 am

Sometimes I'll smoke an old Dr. Grabows (it's lightweight and already dinged up) while out doing stuff, working firewood, working on the tractor, Unless the wind is kicking up. I guess it's what most would call their yard pipe. I also enjoy walking with the family and smoking. I havent tried smoking and fishing while wading, I usually will stop for a break then pull out my pipe. My favorite is to sit on the porch of my workshop smoking and sipping a beverage.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 am

I love thoughtful smoking while doing nothing else, but I also realy enjoy careless smoking. Especially when the warm weather allows, I like to have a pipe going when I'm out-and-about, walking, gardening, grilling, playing some bocce with friends. It's one of life's great pleasures to stuff an everday pipe full of something uncomplicated and go about my business. And if I couldn't smoke while grading students' papers, I'd very likely go crazy.

Careless smoking is a great part of the heritage... It wasn't so long ago that a real chap would be bubbling with dottle at all times. Think of all the portraits of men posed with their pipes; it wouldn't be right to be remembered without a briar, any more than it would be right to shave off an ever-present moustache or remove one's spectacles if that's how the world saw you.

Perhaps there is a different sort of pleasure to smoking on-the-go, but for me, it's well worth it. More than this, in our era, I feel obliged to be seen with a pipe, not so much out of defiance but rather envangelism. I want people on the street to be curious about the pipe, because I want to see more pipe smokers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am

NO WAY!! I just moved to Alaska from Gunnison, and know the East River like the back of my hand. In my opinion, the Gunnison Valley has some of the finest trout fishing in the country. Ever fish the Lake Fork... Soap Creek, or the Cochetopa? Great spots! How did you stumble onto the East, coming from Mexico -- I would bet there is a story there!

Hey. My dad was a physician at the Rocky Mtn Biological Laboratory (actually just outside Crested Butte and Gothic) for over 20 yrs. I would join him up there on vacation and got to know all the rivers and creeks in the area. I caught my largest Brown ever in the Meanders of the E. River a few years back! My final year I did a float trip down the Gunnison and was witness to some serious trophy Rainbows but, alas, nothing of note for me. Unfortunately my dad is now retired and my yearly trips up there are no more. I would love to get up to the Dolores again one of these summers coming up.

There is some awesome coastal fishing here in Mexico, especially on the Yucatan Penninsula, if you have the money for a guided trip. I, myself have never had the pleasure. As for trout, there are some, but mostly in reservoir settings with bait and spinnig gear which I dont really enjoy so much. The rivers here are so polluted that river run trout are virtually non-existent. Itīs a conservationistīs nightmare for sure.

Tell me about Alaska! My dad was up there about 5 years back and had nothing but great things to say about the experience. How did you end up moving there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I do smoke a pipe both when fishing and golfing. My fishing is not real active fishing, though. We sometimes describe it more accurately as drowning worms. Getting out on my little aluminum fishing boat early in the morning and watching the sun come up as my line lays limp in the water and the smoke wafts gently away is a speccial summer time pleasure. When golfing I usually walk the course and enjoy a few bowls of PA as I I do. I even have one of those 'cigar minder' clips on my golf bag to attach my pipe when I am actually striking the ball or otherwise not smoking. One of my golfing partners actually strikes the ball - not too well - with a cob clenched in his mouth. I'll occassionally putt while smoking but only late in a losing round when I need some pleasure that the golf is not providing that day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Interesting to read the replies to this thread... the thoughtful, reflective smoking sesh is kind of what I lean towards... put the fly rod down, sit down, spark up, and listen to the river while enjoying a tasty smoke... but I see that there are those who can enjoy it in other ways as well. Thanks to all whom have replied!

MisterE -- I am a Trout Bum, but the bumming originates from my earlier days as a ski bum. I know the Butte well, and have mountain biked and fished up around Gothic many times. (including the "meanders") Do you know the fly shop Dragonfly Anglers in Crested Butte, right on Elk Ave? I worked there for the last two years... great place, great folks, learned a lot of subtle nuances to the pursuit of trout by getting to fish with some unbelievable fishermen who had studied the endeavor to a degree approaching the absurd. At any rate, I was pretty much getting ready to guide regularly there in the valley, when WHAM! my girlfriend announced a bun in the oven...
I am born and raised, as is she, here in Alaska, and we decided that with our connections up here, along with all of the family support, that it would be in our best interest to move back up here. If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be in the Gunnison Valley (Ohio Creek Valley, if you want to get specific), but it is virtually impossible to make a living there. I am also a Western State grad and already miss the sunny weather and all the great people that make the valley such a special place.
But, if I have to leave Gunnison, Alaska is not so bad, I suppose. In fact, it's pretty sweet. The one thing Alaska lacks is ACCESS. There is virtually none, as in roads, trails, etc, while in Colorado, it is unlimited and incredible. The trout fishing there is so good it keeps me up at night just thinking about it. In Alaska, of course, we have world class salmon fishing (I laugh at the Kokanee run that comes out of Blue Mesa, but how else do you expect an Alaskan to react to land locked, stocked salmon?), but that is a different style entirely. They are easy to catch, and, more or less, you are fishing to put high quality meat in your freezer. (Coho on the fly is pretty cool though, especially with an ultra light set up) What is really weird though, Alaska by far being the largest state, is that we just don't have any roads. In CO, you drive out of CB towards Montrose, you pass a zillion miles of fishable waters, with little roads that go up into the mountains all over the place... mountain passes too... At any rate, I love Alaska, but would choose to live on the Western Slope of Colorado if given my druthers.

Just to prove how bad things are up here, check out this nice little troutie from last weekend (note the dead salmon carcass in the background -- the river was littered with them, along with moose and bears and eagles and hungry rainbows):

Last edited by Trout Bum on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:49 pm

I'd ALMOST be content to sit stream side, smoking my pipe and watch you catch fish like that all day TB ... ALMOST Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:12 pm

I love to smoke my pipe while walking in the woods, especially in the autumn. There's something about the fall air and the smell of the pipe tobacco that transports me to a better place. Of course, I also love to sit and read while smoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Quote :
....in our era, I feel obliged to be seen with a pipe, not so much out of defiance but envangelism. I want people on the street to be curious about the pipe, because I want to see more pipe smokers.

That's exactly the way I feel, and so I smoke outside where I sometimes notice young folk eyeing my pipe with curiosity. Also, walking with a pipe forces me to walk slowly, to strawl in a civilised way and smell the daisies. Sometimes I just stand in the middle of the street and puff. Very restful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:24 pm

I enjoy a bowl while walking my little Peke in the park behind my house.I like to
load an aromatic and treat the proletarians to a whiff of the good stuff.Between the
dog and the pipe I enjoy many conversations with strange women,if I wasn't married
I would ........................ Rolling Eyes

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Like TB and Doc, I most enjoy sitting outside with a drink (coffee in the AM and libation in the PM) and just thinking, looking, enjoying nature. I do occasionally walk around the woods with my pipe, or puff on it as I walk up to the road to the mail box, but 90 % of my puffing is definite down time. Even grading exams or reading student papers where I have to make comments, correct, etc. tends to distract a bit from my pipe. Guess multitasking is beyond me.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:08 pm

Winslow wrote:
I enjoy a bowl while walking my little Peke in the park behind my house.I like to
load an aromatic and treat the proletarians to a whiff of the good stuff.Between the
dog and the pipe I enjoy many conversations with strange women,if I wasn't married

Winslow sunny

You should come to Oak Ridge. We have lots of strange women! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 pm

I smoke while working in the yard, walking the dogs, strolling thru the woods, etc. While I certainly enjoy the "pensive" times spent smoking, I wouldn't restrict my pipes to just that. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Centurian 803 wrote:
Winslow wrote:
load an aromatic and treat the proletarians to a whiff of the good stuff.Between the dog and the pipe I enjoy many conversations with strange women,if I wasn't married I would ........................ Rolling Eyes

Winslow sunny

You should come to Oak Ridge. We have lots of strange women! affraid

As in "glow in the dark"?

Back to the topic...when I'm outside hunting, fishing, exercising the dogs or what ever I almost always have a pipe in my mouth. It may not be lit, but it's there unless I've knocked it out from a fish strike or spit it out on a grouse flush. I've been doing it so long it just seems natural.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 am

Winslow wrote:
Between the

Winslow sunny

Winslow, your a bad bad boy! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:16 am

I'm kind of like Ol Dawg in this, as pipe smoking is such a part of my routine that I'm comfortable smoking my pipe just about anywhere. I really enjoy a pipe while on a long drive and will sometimes pre-load several pipes for that purpose.

I also enjoy Copenhagen original (fine cut) dipping snuff, which I often use while working outside or fishing/hunting where my hands are too busy for pipe smoking.

That said, NOTHING beats curling up with a pipe and a good book by the fire in the evening with a fire roaring in the fireplace with winter howling outside ... sometimes I'll stretch this out to well past 'bedtime' Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:04 pm

"Chap" magazine interviewed Stephen Fry,the last recipient of the
"Pipe Smoker of the Year" award,when asked if he worked around the
house while smoking his pipe he replied; "I prefer to watch someone
else do the work while I smoke my pipe."A man after my own heart. Laughing

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

My best smokes seem to be very early in the morning whether on the weekends or driving to work or before leaving on the week days. I am a very early morning person 7 days a week. A cup of coffee with a pipe................priceless!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey JP, I used to always have a morning smoke as well, but somewhere along the line, I have more and more trouble waking up on time. that along with the purchase of a new truck curtailed my mornin smoke.
Back to top Go down
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm with you TB! I much rather just kicking back and enjoying a smoke in my den.

The only caveat is when I go to outdoor flea markets. I almost always have one in my mouth then. It's become my trademark. In doing so I've been shown many old pipes by vendors that I might not otherwise have seen. I usually get: "Hey. You're a pipe-smoker. Well, I've got a few in a box in my truck".....

It's worked out well! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?   Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:

The only caveat is when I go to outdoor flea markets. I almost always have one in my mouth then. It's become my trademark. In doing so I've been shown many old pipes by vendors that I might not otherwise have seen. I usually get: "Hey. You're a pipe-smoker. Well, I've got a few in a box in my truck".....

It's worked out well! Laughing

I've had the same experience at flea markets so I usually smoke while walking around the market. One guy called out to me and had an awesome collection of older Kaywoodies tucked away but unfortunately he had cut all of the stingers off of them with a pair of wire cutters. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

Do you enjoy a smoke while walking/working/doing things?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1