HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Favorite Bourbons?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 2:18 pm

EJinVA wrote:
Well I tried the Old Crow, got a bottle for watching the election coverage drunken . I thought it was everybit as good as Jim Beam, and at $9.00 for a 750ml bottle, it's very affordable. I may have found a new bourbon.

I told you. It is good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Winslow

Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:19 am

But Jim Beam has a square bottle that won't roll away from you when you
pass out in the easychair! Laughing

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rick

rick

Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: From cheap to pricey ....   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 5:03 am

Old GrandDad
Evan Williams
Jim Beam Black
Wild Turkey 101
Buffalo Trace
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Ive had more costly booze but these are the ones I like best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 9:39 am

I purchased a bottle of Buffalo Trace when I was in NY a few weeks ago and I didn't much care for it. That didn't stop me from drinking the whole bottle though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Winslow wrote:
But Jim Beam has a square bottle that won't roll away from you when you
pass out in the easychair! Laughing

Winslow sunny

lol!
scratch drunken Sleep
lol!
Back to top Go down
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 12:24 pm

Anyone want to give their list of bourbons to stay away from? It seems even the low rent bourbons are pretty good (based on what I am reading here). Are there any I should be sure to avoid, as I explore this new world?

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Well,you asked..........

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/08_05/0805_rotgut_man.htm

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Actually there isn't a bourbon that I don't like lol! But sometimes I enjoy Basil Hayden (the wimpy bourbon) or Bulleit. The Old Frontier Whisky. And the old fall back on bourbon is Jim Beam Green label. I feel a bit parched, must go pour a wee bit. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Got a bottle of WT101, very smooth. But double the cost of the Old Crow, I'm not sure it's worth it, The Old Crow is pretty smooth too, less Alcohol content though pale .
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:25 pm

EJinVA wrote:
Got a bottle of WT101, very smooth. But double the cost of the Old Crow, I'm not sure it's worth it, The Old Crow is pretty smooth too, less Alcohol content though pale .

It is hard to find a cheaper alternative to WT with the same alcohol volume. Ezra Brooks comes close at 90 proof but not quite as smooth as Old Crow. Not bad though at $10.95 a fifth here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Got a pretty nice bonus this past friday so to celebrate I stopped off and picked up a bottle of Makers Mark, It seems many here are partial too it. It was good and smooth, but maybe it's just my deadened taste buds, it just didnt seem any better than any other higher end Bourbon, don't get me wrong it was good but I guess I just had the expectation of saying WOW! THIS IS GREAT! and it just didnt deliver that kind of reaction. Anyone out there suggest something that says WOW! THIS IS GREAT! something different than the ususal. Maybe I need to try a Scotch or something else alltogether?
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm still a big fan of Maker's Mark, but as I try more good whisky, I've come to realize it's blended for smoothness rather than complexity. Consequently, they use a very low percentage of rye in their malt mixture. Good stuff, easy to sip, but not very interesting. Dollar for dollar, for me, Scotch and even Rye have more "WOW." (There must be a dust storm in my granfather's urn to hear me say that!)

I will say: Blanton's bourbon is wonderful and complex, but the price is a slap in the face--I've had exactly one bottle, given as a Christmas gift. Besides that, I don't know much... until recently, it was Beam on on the cheap, or Maker's when I was flush.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Blanton's...
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Give me a good rye anyday!

EJ, I have about a shot left of the WT Rye. I just can't seem to stay out of it! Very Happy Laughing drunken What a treat!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 am

Justpipes wrote:
Give me a good rye anyday!

EJ, I have about a shot left of the WT Rye. I just can't seem to stay out of it! Very Happy Laughing drunken What a treat!

I must say the WT rye is a bit more complex (flavorful?) than the Makers Mark. So far it's got my vote too.
Back to top Go down
Bent Stem

Bent Stem

Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Got a half gallon of Old Crow today and drinking some now. Pretty good! Alot like Jim Beam, which I really like, and a whole lot cheaper!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CPT/VSG

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 am

For an everyday Bourbon available to me: Woodford Reserve. Close second: Blanton's. Favorite overall: Pappy Van Winkle--but it's not distributed in my state.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.treneff.com
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 12:26 pm

I have several bottles of whiskeys open at any one time. I move back and forth. Usually, a couple of bourbons, a tennessee (Dickel), and a rye or two--right now Sazarec and Old Potrero. I have recently settled on Weller Antique as my "daily" sipper. Terrific taste at a reasonable price. I don't believe any of those Beam small batch blends are better--and they all cost more. For special occasions, I now use George Stagg--absolutely fantastic! It will knock your socks off--both with its terrific flavor and its power--141.8 proof. Parker's is another high-end that is a wonderful drink. I have a bottle--waiting for an occasion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 12:30 pm

thedeep wrote:
I have several bottles of whiskeys open at any one time. I move back and forth. Usually, a couple of bourbons, a tennessee (Dickel), and a rye or two--right now Sazarec and Old Potrero. I have recently settled on Weller Antique as my "daily" sipper. Terrific taste at a reasonable price. I don't believe any of those Beam small batch blends are better--and they all cost more. For special occasions, I now use George Stagg--absolutely fantastic! It will knock your socks off--both with its terrific flavor and its power--141.8 proof. Parker's is another high-end that is a wonderful drink. I have a bottle--waiting for an occasion.

I'm going to Deep's house for New Year's!!! Shocked Very Happy

lol!
Back to top Go down
Bent Stem

Bent Stem

Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 12:05 am

A couple bowls and a few glasses of Old Crow tonight. Happy New Year folks! Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 98591 drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 6:39 pm

I just saw this thread...Interesting choices have been mentioned. But i have to say I really do like Jack Daniel. And, I'm just finishing up a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 (the neat thing was it came in a special gift pack with two glasses!)

I also enjoy Makers Mark, but again...JD is my first choice.

I saw mention on here of Wild Turkey rye...I saw some in the store, and having never drunk a rye whiskey, I almost bought it. But since I wasn't sure if I'd like it, I opted for the 101 (and the glasses!)

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 7:58 pm

gospelman wrote:

I saw mention on here of Wild Turkey rye...I saw some in the store, and having never drunk a rye whiskey, I almost bought it. But since I wasn't sure if I'd like it, I opted for the 101 (and the glasses!)

Mike

You should have opted for the WT Rye! Wish I could get it here!
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Went by the local communist run ABC store today to pick up a half gal. of Old Crow and they had lowered the price of Old Charter by $2 so for a change of pace I picked up a half gal. of that instead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 pm

It's about time for another ABC store run as I've finished off the WT Rye, the Makers Mark and am down to half a bottle of Old Crow. I might have to try a Scotch this time; any suggestions for a basic grade one?
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Bourbons?   Favorite Bourbons? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Blended Scotch.....Dewars, Famous Grouse, Grant's (my fav), Pinch. I prefer these with a splash of soda (ice optional!)

Single Malts.....The Macallan (Original, not the Fine Oak version), Aberlour, Glendronach, Craggenmore (excellent before dinner), The Balvenie (especially the 12 year Doublewood), and Longmorn.

Not sure what's in your ABC store, but the above are few of the ones I enjoy! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Favorite Bourbons?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next