HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Traveling and Pipe Smoking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 pm

I don't travel that much, but when I do I have a pouch with 4 pipes and a couple of tobacco pouches. I know that it's best to let a pipe rest, with stem up, and in open air after it's smoked. Sometimes however, like say during trips on a tour bus, that option isn't available till I get to a hotel and that could be for many hours.

Is it good for the pipe to keep it in the pouch directly after it's been smoked and keep it there for hours? If not then what are some alternatives?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:56 am

I would say as long as you dump the dottle out of the pipe and run a cleaner through it before putting it back in the pouch it will be fine for a while. I usually carry two pipes on a daily basis and do that until I get home and put them back in the rack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Morning Bent...

The longer you enjoy the hobby the more you will realize just how nonsensical MOST of what people tell you are 'pipe laws' are.

The truth is we baby our pipes far more than needed.. It is a good thing but it sometimes causes stress instead of enjoyment...

I used to travel with at least 8 pipes and enough pipegear to fill a big tupperware bowl... For the past couple year I have carried 2-3 pipes, some tobacco, and 2 packs of cleaners for a weeks work....

Dump the ash, run a cleaner or two through the stem, if your real anal twist up a napkin and 'swab' out the bowl..stuff it back in the bag.. Forget about it until next smoke...

The pipe really doesn't mind. Which direction it sits.. Pipe bags aren't airtight so that's not really an issue either..

Enjoy it, that's why ya spent the dough...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:42 pm

I usually just carry one pipe, and 2 oz of tobacco for every 2-3 nights away. I travel a fair amount for work, and I work my pipes hard. Castellos, Dunhills, etc -- I don't baby them, and they've yet to disappoint from the "stress" of a heavy work load.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:32 pm

I like to take my meers,preloaded in those hard cases for day trips.I've got a bunch of
medium sized standard shapes which are very convenient.No erotic ones either. Mad

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:19 am

As pipe smokers we tend to worry too much. Empty it. Put a pipe cleaner in it to soak up some moisture. And put it in the pouch.

I do this all the time. Pipes are fine. Do this with cheapies as well as 4 star Tinskys.
Back to top Go down
Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Better for a pipe not to air out properly (you can always do that at the end of your trip) than for it to get lost! After I smoke any pipe away from home, I make sure to put it away, where it won't be lost. I've lost several.

I always take them around separated from the stem. After they are smoked, I wait for them to cool, then separate them.

And I NEVER take a Meerschaum out of the house! Not since I dropped one onto the cement sidewalk in the middle of Fifth Avenue—I was about 22 and thought I looked soooo cool...—whereupon it broke into three pieces!

I felt as though I had been stabbed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Traveling and Pipe Smoking   Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 pm

I have a leather 5-pipe carrying case for traveling. Depending on where I am when I'm smoking, I try to prop the pipestem up for drying. If I'm not able, no big deal. Just pop it into the bag and off I go. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Traveling and Pipe Smoking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1