HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:40 am

Cruising down I-71 in Ohio...
Got a truck in front of me, one behind me.. I am what's called 'In the Rocking Chair'. I'm daydreaming..aint gotta worry 'bout 'bears' (cops)..
We are scootin along, and swoosh an Escalade goes by..about 3-4 seconds out he slams his brakes..swerves onto the shoulder, back out on the road, (by now We are right with him)..he dives back onto the shoulder with fiberglass going everywhere and his hood is peeled back like a banana...

I had swerved left to miss him, saw a body laying in the road swerved back right.. Finally get stopped... Mofo has hit a blackbear & a deer.. Wow!

Not even sure how that worked out.. Maybe the bear was eating the deer or something... Didn't even think Ohio had bears but I guess considering Kentucky and Michigan does and Ohio sits between them logic disctates they have them....

We are back rolling but I promise we are looking for both kinda bear now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 am

Brother, you sure lead an interesting life. Glad you missed, well, everything that you could have hit. Think I'll just say an extra little prayer for you. Remember, don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:55 am

We were only doing about 4-5 over...
But Ohio has only been 65 for trucks since july.. Everyone is still trying to feel each other out... We are trying to figure out how far we can push it and they are trying to show us...lol...

On the bright side Ohio Cops have to have their headlights on to use the ole radar...and people will let you know where they are... You kinda deserve a ticket if you get one up there.... And a Buckeye bear may be tough but he's fair..very few ever get warning tickets, but at the same time if your sitting on the side they'll stop and check on you...

I broke down in Piqua OH in the winter time several years back....I had two seperate bears stop and let me sit in their cars to warm up for a bit while I waited on the mechanic...
Stuff like that goes alongway in my book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:24 am

WOW! Glad you didn't get hurt and I hope the folk that hit the bear and deer are ok. That is nasty! I've hit a deer before but a bear........much less both at the same time!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 am

The best thing I ever ran over was a squirrel. Sad

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:00 am

I once killed 3 mallards with a Lincoln Town car. They were delicious. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 am

I shoulda put this in the story...

They were fine.. Scared but fine.. Unfortunatly the bear and the deer didn't make it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 am

Sounds like everyone was lucky (except for the deer and bear of course). When traveling in Norther California on my way to Oregon for the fire season I witnessed a pickup truck with a cab over camper hit an elk on the freeway. Went up and over the hood, took at the cab of the truck and half of the camper. Unfortunately no one survived that mess. Glad everyone concerned came out ok on this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:46 pm

Glad you're all OK. We have lots of deer hits in Arkansas. This reminds me of an old friend that died in an animal collision about this time of year a while back.

Bart was from Watersmeet MI (up in the UP, hey) and was a premier paddle maker. His custom racing paddles were used by many Olympic paddlers. His company went by his nick name, Black Bart's Paddles. One beautiful fall day, with the color change we could only get in the UP, he was cruising down a back road on his Harley, hit a black bear, and they both died.

I didn't know him that well, but he was a wild spirit and to this day I treasure my Radical Racer 11 1/2 degree bent shaft he made for me shortly before he died. But I've got to smile when I think that most of us will bow out old, warn out, in a hospital, with tubes sticking out everywhere, where he went out in the prime of life, on a Harley on a gorgeous fall evening in an instant. Imagen the stories his grand kids can have when asked, "how did your grandpa die?".

Don't know what the black bear thought of it, though.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Wow! Glad they and you are ok. The strangest thing I ever hit was a goose while riding a motorcycle in England! I was riding a road next to a canal (the canal being about 10 feet or so lower than the road) when a goose flew up from the canal (from my left) directly in front of me at chest height! I hit it at around 60 MPH and though very bruised was not hurt, not did I wreck (somehow). I did pull off at the next pub and have a beer before going home though. The goose didn't make it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm

That would definitely wake you up! Dang.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm

I don't know the math necessary to calculate it, but a 4-8 pound bird at 60 MPH must weigh a lot ... it definitely HURT! I've been a believer in strong leather jackets ever since Twisted Evil

I might add birdshit and feathers are tough to get off leather and blue jeans, I must have looked a 'right mess' when I walked into that pub! The publican was concerned that I was ok and offered to phone a doctor to look at me. The English really ARE fine people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Winslow wrote:
The best thing I ever ran over was a squirrel. Sad

Winslow sunny

Me too.
I swerved, he swerved...thump.
So I went back and got him.
I happened to have a cooler in the truck and
brought him home. He made a lovely gumbo. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dodge

Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Thats insane! I'd wet myself if I saw a bear in the middle of the highway but I think my freightshaker could give him a good smashing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm constantly putting down animals on my way to and from work. Deer mostly, some raccoons, a fox or two, etc.

Just about two weeks ago on my way into work (during AM rush hour) I had to put down a deer on a major NYS Route. The deer was hit by a woman who had never hit one before, needless to say, she was upset. Then I came up on the scene got out of my unmarked Crown Vic and "attempted" to put the deer down after stopping traffic N&S. I was carrying my .40 that morning. I shot the damn thing FOUR TIMES and it wouldn't die!!!

This sucker was holding on big time. Then another off duty cop pulls up and offers to take a whack at the deer. He dumped three more into the deer with his 9mm! STILL ALIVE AND NOT DYING!!!! ARRRGHHHH!!!!!

I have put down dozens of deer in my twenty-one years as a Lawman. Usually one , MAYBE two shots and the deed is done. I have to say this deer must have been the toughest S.O.B. in all of NY State.

And yes, some Hillbilly asked if he could take the carcass.........YUCK! I bet that meat was nasty to say the least! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?   Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Mikem wrote:
Sounds like everyone was lucky (except for the deer and bear of course). When traveling in Norther California on my way to Oregon for the fire season I witnessed a pickup truck with a cab over camper hit an elk on the freeway. Went up and over the hood, took at the cab of the truck and half of the camper. Unfortunately no one survived that mess. Glad everyone concerned came out ok on this one.

Mike --- Back in the late 70's a buddy of mine was dropping down 87 to Phx from the Long Valley ranger station, and hit an elk near Pine. In an MGB roadster, no less. Pretty much full speed, too, as it just stepped into the road from cover right in front of him and there was no time to react.

He walked away without a scratch... ducked just in time and drove under it. cheers

Tore up the car (he ended up in a ditch but didn't roll or hit a tree), and wrecked one of the elk's legs so the G&F guys had to track and shoot it, but his insurance co. paid and all was well.

I urged him many times afterward to buy some Powerball tickets because he obviously carries some wicked luck around, but he never did. Said he wanted to save his luck for car accidents and such since you can't spend money when you're dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ever hit a deer??? How bout a frikkin bear?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1