HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fumo bro

Number of posts: 79
Tobacco: Esoterica Margate
Rattray's Marlin Flake

Pipe: Radice
Registration date: 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:37 pm

About a year ago, I opened a sealed vintage tin of Dunhill London Mixture from the 1970's. The tobacco was still moist and I enjoyed the smoke. I only smoked less than a third of the tin. Although I thought that I had sealed the tin securely with Parafilm, I recently discovered that the tobacco became dry to the bone! Sometimes with cigars, I can re-hydrate them by placing them in a sealed Tupperware box along with a small container of steaming water. The questions I have are: Should I throw away this dried-up tobacco or should I try to re-hydrate it? Once pipe tobacco dries out, is it considered 'NO GOOD'? I welcome your suggestions. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord

Number of posts: 580
Tobacco: G. L. Pease - Of course!
Registration date: 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:44 am

fumo bro wrote:
About a year ago, I opened a sealed vintage tin of Dunhill London Mixture from the 1970's. The tobacco was still moist and I enjoyed the smoke. I only smoked less than a third of the tin. Although I thought that I had sealed the tin securely with Parafilm, I recently discovered that the tobacco became dry to the bone! Sometimes with cigars, I can re-hydrate them by placing them in a sealed Tupperware box along with a small container of steaming water. The questions I have are: Should I throw away this dried-up tobacco or should I try to re-hydrate it? Once pipe tobacco dries out, is it considered 'NO GOOD'? I welcome your suggestions. Thanks.

You absolutely can bring it back. It won't be exactly the same as it was, but it can be excellent. Here's more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Al in Canada

Number of posts: 383
Tobacco: SG Balkan Blend; Solani 369; Rattray's Highland Targe; McR's Roll Cake; McB's Plum Cake, and I am still hunting.
Pipe: Favourite pipe? Oh my, is it my Karl Erik Egg, or ,maybe my one dot Saseni, no, maybe one of the DHs, or my XL Peterson, oh I can't choose. Thank goodness i don't have to choose just one.
Registration date: 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:42 am

Yes it works well on most "good" tobacco, not so well on some of the highly sauced aromatics. If you decide it is too much work,what with steaming up you glasses and other onerous drawbacks just post it to me and and will take care of the rehydration and even the smoking of this old smelly, dried out "stuff".

Al (in canada)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Number of posts: 5611
Tobacco: C&D Oak Alley
GLPease Navigator & Sextant
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake
Samuel Gawith Cob Plug
Dunhill Royal Yacht
Dunhill Nightcap
Registration date: 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:19 am

Careful with how much moisture you put back in. Too moist and it can mold easily.

Current pen & ink.
1955 Pelikan 140 - Med Nib
Ink = Mont Blanc Blue-Black
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stan41

Number of posts: 73
Registration date: 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:00 am

This works for me: I keep an eyedropper bottle of distilled water on my desk. When I open a tin of tobacco that seems too dry for me I put about 4 drops of water on the tobacco. Then close up the tin and put tin and all in a ziploc bag. Let it set for 3 or 4 days and when you open it again you will find that the moisture is uniform throughout the tobacco. I don't stir dry tobacco because stirring very dry tobacco makes snuff out of it.
Stan41
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Number of posts: 1915
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:00 pm

Depending on how dry the tobacco, I either:

Spray a wee bit of distilled water directly on it, then let it sit a sealed glass jar for a few days. I keep this process going until I am happy with the moisture level, or

Spary a wee bit of distilled water directly on it; then put it and a sandwich baggie containing a wet washcloth into the sealed glass jar, adding moisture to the washcloth until I get the wanted results.

I utilized the latter method to "restore" three pouches of Troost Slices (found in the back of a drawer!) last year. Took me six months of slowly introducing moisture; however, the results were outstanding!!! Excellent tobacco! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nonsmoker

Number of posts: 1
Registration date: 2010-04-21

PostSubject: I know how   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:06 pm

As my name implies I don't actually smoke but I still plan to. I have both tabacco and a pipe but don't want to get into it just yet.

I had some tabacco that was dry and the best way that i have found to revive it is to use the same home remedy for moistening brown sugar that has dried out- a piece of bread.
simply open the package, tin or box and lay the slice over or within having as much tabacco suround it as possible. leave it there and the bread will surrender it's moisture to the tabacco in a gradual manner. check periodically, mix around and replace with a fresh peice until desired moisture is attained.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 2355
Tobacco: Arturo Fuente "Hemingway"
Pipe: Former Collector of High End Briar
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 pm

I have an idea. Buy a modern tin of London Mixture and and mix it with equal parts of your aged stuff. Myself and others have had great luck with doing this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Being impatient and given to immediate gratification, what I came up with is to boil some water in a tea kettle. Place said dry tobac in a wire kitchen strainer. Hold same in steam for maybe ten seconds. Jar tightly and check in an hour. Repeat as necessary.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Number of posts: 6550
Tobacco: Mostly simple burleys these days
Pipe: Stanwells and Petersons
Registration date: 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 am

Nonsmoker wrote:
As my name implies I don't actually smoke... I had some tabacco that was dry and the best way that i have found to revive it is to use the same home remedy for moistening brown sugar that has dried out- a piece of bread.

Neutral Neutral Neutral You don't smoke, but you are telling us how to........

So how did that tobacco smoke for you? Laughing Or did it just look smokeable? Suspect

These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PegLegEd

Number of posts: 505
Tobacco: #1 GLP Westminster #2 some more of #1
Pipe: Savenelli Straight or bent old or new- Peterson any of them- GBD
Kaywoodies- Dr Graybow and my favorite is which ever one I have in My hand at any given time.
Registration date: 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am

[quote="Puff Daddy"]
Nonsmoker wrote:
As my name implies I don't actually smoke... I had some tabacco that was dry and the best way that i have found to revive it is to use the same home remedy for moistening brown sugar that has dried out- a piece of bread.

Neutral Neutral Neutral You don't smoke, but you are telling us how to........

So how did that tobacco smoke for you? Laughing Or did it just look smokeable? Suspect[/quote

cheers Puff Daddy cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skaukatt

Number of posts: 492
Registration date: 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:26 am

I have used Greg's method with tremendous success. It works like a charm - all you need is patience - the payoff is well worth the wait...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Number of posts: 7941
Location: Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Tobacco: John Middleton Walnut, Prince Albert, GLP Cumberland, C&D Exhausted Rooster , add Carter Hall to the mix, as well as Perfection Plug Burley
Pipe: Brissetts, Kaywoodies
Registration date: 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?   Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:11 am

Maybe nonsmoker is just a tobacco collector. I guess there is such an animal. scratch

I like my tobacco fairly dry anyway but if it is absolutely necessary to re-hydrate, I lay it out even on a paper plate and very very lightly spritz it with distilled water. You can purchase a spritzing bottle most any where that sells women's hair care accessories. Craig Tarler (C&D) recommended this method to me over ten years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

Is it possible to revive dried-out tobacco?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1