HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Old Man Bell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Old Man Bell   Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 am

When I was a young lad my father,and uncle ran a small grocery store.When I got the chance to I would hang around the store and talk to the customers.Country folks were pretty friendly back in those days.I guess they still are.One of them was an elderly fellow that everyone called old man bell.It was said that he was retired from the navy.Every time he came into the store he was smoking a large calabash.He had a look about him that one associates with the look of a sea going fella.He would lay his pipe on the ice cream box get a cone with two scoops eat it then relite his pipe hang around the store and talk to folks,even a young lad like myself.To me pipe smokers seem to be unique characters.Maybe that's one of the reasons I like being around them.Old man Bell passed away many years ago.I some times think of him though,and wonder what happened to his big calabash and if some one is smoking it now I hope so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Old Man Bell   Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 am

NCguy wrote:
To me pipe smokers seem to be unique characters.

I agree. Pipe smokers are unique. The pipe smokers I knew when I was growing up were all just a little different from everyone else. They had an air of calmness and patience about them. They never seemed to be in a hurry and were always willing to stop and talk. They would take the time to explain things to me and never treated me like "a kid". It was probably from a desire to be like them that I took up pipe smoking. Here's to Mr Bell and all the men like him! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Old Man Bell   Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 am

Neat story. Thanks for sharing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Old Man Bell   Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing the story Smile I always love hearing pipe stories/memories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Old Man Bell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1