HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

knives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
midnight rider

Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:38 pm

How many of us carry knives? Just noticed the other night at work that most men now dont carry pocket knives. I have several knives myself. Dont carry them all at once, lol. I just seem to be the go to guy at work when some one needs to cut something. Just an observation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Being a tradesman most of my adult life I never leave the house without at least one pocket knife of some kind. To me a wallet and a pocketknife are part of my attire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
midnight rider

Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:56 pm

Wallet

knife

lighter

watch

pipe

tobacco

In my book all needed items for the world.

Lets not forget cell phone.

But i can survive without the cell phone.

I always belived that the knife is one of mans oldest tools, next to the rock.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:03 pm

midnight rider wrote:
How many of us carry knives? Just noticed the other night at work that most men now dont carry pocket knives. I have several knives myself. Dont carry them all at once, lol. I just seem to be the go to guy at work when some one needs to cut something. Just an observation.

I love knives of all kinds, and have "worn" a pocket knife since I was deemed old enough by my parents. The only time I'm without one is when I know I'll be going through security at the airport, but even then, there's one in my checked luggage for carry when I reach my destination.

The knife is arguably the most useful tool in the history of humankind. I can't imagine a day without finding at least one use for one.

I've got a small collection of knives that I've accumulated over the years, but for daily carry, it's usually an A.T. Barr liner lock with G10 scales, an A.G. Russell gentleman's lockback with stag scales, or a bone handled Böker stockman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:04 pm

midnight rider wrote:

But i can survive without the cell phone.

I always belived that the knife is one of mans oldest tools, next to the rock.

I'm with you there. The blade was the beginning of civilization. The pen followed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm

I never leave home without it. A small Buck folder.
Very Happy
Maybe it's a middle-class sort of thing????? That's the category that I fall into. I don't know of many professionals that carry pocket knives. I guess they just hire people to do their cutting!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:45 pm

I am addicted to carrying a Swiss Army Multitool,feel naked without it.

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeremyt

Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:47 pm

I too have carried a pocket knife of some type ever since I can remember. I used to think that all men did the same until I got older and began to meet more and more who didn't. Right now I carry a small Craftsman lock back razor knife and a Sheffield's IXL pipe knife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:48 pm

I don't carry one anymore. But they are always handy. Mostly Case and Buck folders. A smattering of Gerber, some lock back and a couple drop point hunters. A couple custom, but not that fancy. Good steel and useful shapes. I am a little picky on the kitchen steel also. Forschner mostly. And those metal handled Rada knives.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 pm

For everyday/wear use I carry my Victorinox Swiss Army mini-champ. The one thing I love about it is the orange peeler blade along with a multitude of blades and tools packed into a small package. The cuticle tool is good for cleaning out smaller pipes too.

For hunting and other outdoor activities I carry either a Case mini-trapper or Kershaw 3000. The other day I found my long lost Kershaw bird hunter knife shaped like a shotgun shell with a single blade and gut hook so I'll be putting it to use this year I hope.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:47 pm

I allways have at least two, more often three: one in each of my two key rings (small Spyderco Ladybug) plus one other, usually William Henry. But I have an array of Al Mar, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. Not too long ago I started building a collection (sold many pipes and vintage tobacco for it) whose main emphasis is on mother of pearl scales. I also have an AT Barr knife, but with ivory scales. AT Barr used to post a lot in ASP and makes beautiful knives.

I also carry a multitool and a small keychain-sized pry bar. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 pm

This thread gives me a warm feeling all over...
Back to top Go down
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Great thread, my constant companion is my Spyderco Military. Black combo blade with G-10 scales, she's equally adept at opening a letter or serving as the great equalizer in a trip downtown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Yer all a buncha lightweights. I never walk more than five steps out of bed without two of these. One on a chain around my neck, and another in my pocket as a backup.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:57 pm

I always have a knife in my pocket. I switch out a one armed bandit (razor blade) craftsman yellow handle with sheeps foot blade and boker tree with three blades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:22 am

Hey GLP What ever happened to A.T. Barr? He used to be a member at the old Knox board. I used to enjoy chatting with him but it has been several years since I last talked to him. I really miss alot of the old crowd from knox and the even older stokers haven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:37 am

I always carry a small lockback..or a folding razor knife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:41 am

Case XX Moose pre-1980 and earlier is all I carry. Never put on a pair of pants without it being in my pocket. I have four of them made between 1970-79 that I rotate from time to time. Like Greg, when I am traveling by plane I always check a bag so it will be waiting for me at my destination.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:34 am

eggman wrote:
Hey GLP What ever happened to A.T. Barr?

A.T. had to give up the pipe for health reasons, but still makes and sells high quality knives. His website-- A.T.'s Knives though none of his are available now and isn't taking orders now due to a big backlog.

Jim...not trying to be GLP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old_salt

Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 am

Have carried a SOG Tomcat for close to 20 yrs now, good all around tool & it stands up to abuse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 am

Great thread... I recall my grandfather ALWAYS carried a pocket knife of sorts, along with a handkerchief, which appears to have gone by the wayside as well. I carry a pocket knife now and then, a Kershaw. I used to work at a fly shop, and at the counter, we had all of these knives in a glass case. It was kind of funny, but old men, young men, little boys, would always stop for a gander, whether they were fly fishermen or not. I met a lot of cool guys (and kids) from all over the country... right there at the knife counter.

Looking back, I kind of think the older men felt a bit younger, discussing quality blades and such, as it always connected them with their childhood, or fond memories of days of yore were often recalled... and the young boys perhaps felt a bit older, as the discussion of the right pocket knife is always a serious business, the business of men... Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:16 pm

I feel naked without a knife. Recently I've added a small Buck hunter's knife to my regular rotation, which includes Victorinox Swiss Army, some assorted inherited or gifted slip joint knives, and a small Gerber folder with a half serrated blade.

And to those who think "professionals" don't carry, need, or use knives, I suppose I would qualify as evidence to the contrary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I never leave the house without a pocket knife. I've always been that way.

The one thing I've always noticed....if I carry a good pocket knife, I usually end up loosing it. But, I can take a cheap piece of crap knife, and carry the dang thing until it falls apart Exclamation
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Cold Steel Ti-Lite or Spyderco LE Folder if the need arises. I dont really carry a knife for self defense, more as a utility tool. I Used to carry one of those folding razors from Husky. Since I'm not ripping apart people's luggage & belongings Razz at the airport, I have pretty much gone w/o a blade on most days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Emerson CQC-16 leaves the house with me every day.
i would really feel naked with out my knife, G19 and surfire E2D
Back to top Go down
View user profile

knives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next