HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

knives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wiley coyote

Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:10 pm

I always carry one. Sometimes a special one--dressier, you know--for Sundays, but a Queen or a Schott & Morgan is almost always in my pocket. Right now in pocket, a red Queen Country Cousin. A great everyday knife. I try never to leave the house without wallet, pocket knife and hankerchief.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kellydeanjolley.weebly.com/index.html

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

When out on my 20 acres working I carry a Buck Stockman, when out & about a cheapie Chinease made Winchester two blade knife from Wal-mart. Never leave home without one.
When I was in high school way back in the 80's we all carried a pocket knife, now you take one on school grounds it's a criminal offense.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 am

EJinVA wrote:
When I was in high school way back in the 80's we all carried a pocket knife, now you take one on school grounds it's a criminal offense.
Exactly why I don't carry one on weekdays--I've been on either side of the desk in a school forever. Otherwise, I'd carry my great-grandfather's pen knife, at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Due to 9/11 and resulting "war on terror" most people have gotten use to not carrying a pocket knife. This is sad since people who carry a pocket knife risk being treated worse than a smoker........they risk jail. affraid

No matter to me. I carry no less than 3 knives at all times. Have since I was a boy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:16 pm

When I carry one of my larger "quick" folders, people sometimes ask why I have it. My response is to look at them and say, "Zombies."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 pm

I carry an old, original, Spyderco all the time. Usually have a smaller lock-back in my pocket. Like others, I would feel naked without a knife. Carried Perry Officer model Kershaws for years, until I finally lost the last one. Good little pocket knife for a good cause--Perry's family, after a stupid hunter blew Perry out of his saddle while he was moving the remuda on an elk hunt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wide Awake

Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Well normally carry a gerber belt clip folder, clipped to my pocket. I also have a S&W clip tanto blade folder, in ACU but the clip bent so it isnt carried as often now. Sadly I can not be trusted by by employer to carry a pocket knife at my job so I have to leave them at home, even though opening packages is part of my job, go figure that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stan41

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I can remember. Now I always have a Boker Stockman with me.
Stan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 pm

I gave my knife collection to my son, but I always have a swiss army on me. I keep a Buck Omni in the truck in case I have to skin something Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: knives   Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 pm

I keep a little Joseph Rodgers with me pretty much all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
niles

Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: knives   Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:47 am

About 9 years ago my grandaddy passed away - after the funeral my dad came down from the 2nd floor to the living room where i was sitting and handed me "Grandee's" knife, a little Jr. Ploughman into which he had engraved his name, mine but for the "III". I carried that knife faithfully until one day, while i was in graduate school, some low-order scum saw fit to remove it from my studio. I began to suffer from headaches and nightmares. I would slip my hand into my pocket for it and it wasn't there, even though i'd been sure that, like a phantom leg, I could feel it twitching.

What was I to do?

Several weeks passed...I blanketed the school with open letters and mass emails but the thief never came clean. Finally, out of desperation, I went to a local Army/Navy and bought myself a replacement - nothing fancy, in fact, an identical Jr. Ploughman, though, obviously, this one without the shaky scrawling letters of the name that I share.

The headaches stopped and the nightmares ended - man, and I can't even begin to say how comforting it was to reach down and pat the pocket of my jeans and feel the familiar corners and curves of that little knife, and though it is only a pale substitution, the real legacy lies in my ongoing education in keeping it as sharp as that surgeon, my grand dad, ever did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: from joseph.bruno   Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:37 pm

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I was old enough to venture in the hills of back home. No man would be caught without one in those days and I never broke the habit. Now I carry one that has a tamper and a reamer attached. Nothing less would do..lolll
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:50 pm

My never leave home without it EDC is an old Case XX "yellar" Trapper. Not sure how I have never lost it.

I usually have a Rogers pipe knife in my front pocket along with my Zippo. A SWAK Champion, couple of multi-tools, and a Gerber LMF II (thats not a knife, now THIS is a knife!) in the truck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glennjaemi

Registration date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 am

Cool Oh yes a Knife is a must.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Hunter5117 wrote:
My never leave home without it EDC is an old Case XX "yellar" Trapper.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: knives   Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Just a reminder that the Atlanta Blade Show will be June 4th, 5th, and 6th this year. If you're a knife enthusiast or just enjoy seeing great craftsmanship this is the show to see. Blade Show Info

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: knives   Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Kershaw Whirlwind 1560 and Victorinox Swiss Army multi-tool. I gave my original Swiss Army multi-tool, the one I carried during my entire military career, to my son when he enrolled in the Army Reserve Officer Training Program and felt unbalanced for several months. Then, my wife and daughter gave me a new one this past Christmas. Now, I feel balanced again.

A handgun, pocket knife, and Kubotan should be part of any prudent person's attire, I think.
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:57 am

Opinel #8 is what I've been carrying lately, though a #6 would likely be a better choice for a pocketknife. Used to have a Swiss Army Classic on me at all times, but then I lost one I had for years. It bummed me out too much to get another one. Have a Swiss Army Executive that I've beat up pretty well. It's probably taken more use than any other knife I've ever owned. Used a Camillus US Army/Scout all-stainless between the Classic and Executive. It's a heavy knife, so it is too noticeable in the pocket for my tastes.

I'm recently fascinated with the Mora #840 and the Becker BK2, though I have no good use for either. I'd almost buy a BK2 to use in the kitchen, just so I can have one. I've managed to avoid that silliness so far, though.

Mr.Maan on eBay sells some nice looking Damascus steel folding knives with hardwood and buffalo horn panels. I see people arguing about the steel quality and such, but really, I just think some of those knives are sharp looking. For the kind of tasks I need a knife, I'm sure they'd do just fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krusty

Registration date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:03 am

Carried pocket knives my entire life, well since I was 10 or 11 at least.
Used everywhere, for whatever reason, said use would never raise an eyebrow.

My normal carry for a day still includes a penknife. Felt like a right of passage in a way when I switched from pocket to pen.
I do know that a day without a penknife is just a day asking for frustration, LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:47 pm

I have many. I normally carry my Kershaw black Storm, though. Got it from a friend who lost it, bought another, then found the first. I think it's completely reasonable to carry a pocket knife.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:08 pm

It stinks to travel now. You can't even take something as small as a Swiss Army Classic on a plane. You can see all the confiscated knives being sold on eBay. It's insulting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:40 pm

I carry two daily for utility purposes and another in my boot on occasion. My everyday go to is a Gerber Paraframe I Titanium Nitride. As it turns out I use it to open sugar and creamer canisters in the break room at work at 5am , and that makes it a life saver!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
red kilt

Registration date : 2010-12-23

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Never leave home without an knife. I have said that evryday since i was sixteen when i started carrying one. My new EDC is an appalachian trail pocket knife and a multitool i got today frim my sister in law. Also got a cold steel finn bear. Great knife for anyone that has looked at them or thought about buying one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
absent

Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:11 am

I always carry a knife - a basic tool I'm suprised all people don't carry. I almost laugh when coworkers regard it as a weapon (seriously). In the hands of a seriously well trained person maybe, but I'd rather have a baseball bat or even a broom handle - a pocket knife and all I'm going to get is dead.

But my knives are carried as tools. Some of my favorites are a Case baby butterbean, a Case Peanut, my Scallion, my SAK Rucksack and my most recent purchase a gerber MP/Police model 1. I like knives. If I were not buying pipes, I'd be buying knives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krusty

Registration date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:17 am

absent wrote:
...I almost laugh when coworkers regard it as a weapon (seriously). ..
Strange times indeed absent.

About 5 years ago I worked for a small manufacturing company.
Helping out in the shipping department I took out my pen-knife to open supplies and was told that the company policy regarding knives was, oh my, NO personal knives!

Being new to the place I thought I was being ribbed, but that 2" x 1/4" Buck blade was actually deemed a dangerous item and not to be had on the premises! LOL, I might come unglued and attack someone with it.

Good thing for me that there were box knives everywhere you looked laying about.
Just in case I were to come unglued and all. (-;
Back to top Go down
View user profile

knives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next