HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

knives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:32 pm

At my work we can only use the store's 'certified saftey knives'. Which have about a 1/8" blade and can't stay open. Use of other knives will result in termination. Luckily my supervisor doesn't care and once the store closes and we're there alone him and I both use our normal knives for our duties.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philthy

Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Maybe   Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:05 pm

I might, theoretically speaking only of course, have been known to carry an Emerson miini commander (pimped), one of my own Thumbnails, and either a Graham Brothers Stubby Folding Razel, Strider SMF, Jones Bro.s Custom Folder, or Emerson mini CQC7. That doesnt count whats in my pack. btw although I am probably by far the exception, yes, I would be considered a "professional". cyclops

++1 on the Blades Show. Missed it last year for the first time in a long time but I will be there this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philsmithknives.com
absent

Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Knives are banned at my place of work as well - they, no matter how small, are considered dangerous weapons. It is asinine. I could jab someone's eyes out with a pencil as easily as cutting them. If one wants it to be EVERYTHING is a weapon. How did we get to this point? I used to take a pocket knife to elementary school and none of the teachers blinked. Now as an adult people practically look on in horror if you pull out that scary SAK. We, as a nation, seem so eager to give up these basic things for this imagined shadow of security
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:55 pm

LL wrote:
Yer all a buncha lightweights. I never walk more than five steps out of bed without two of these. One on a chain around my neck, and another in my pocket as a backup.

Ahhh, I hope you don't work near water or drive over maglev tracks? Laughing

I usually carry a small pocket knife (on my key chain) but when I'm backpacking, hiking, and canoeing, I have a couple of different fixed blades I use. I'm helping some friends do a winter campout with the local boyscout troupe the next few days, and they've asked me to give a backpacking gear talk. One of the topics I always cover, especially with younger "men" is the uselessness of a large, heavy "Rambo" type knife in the woods. Young teen boys think a 9" blade at 1/4" thick is the perfect tool in the woods, but I try to dissuade them. I've got a few large bowies and several Busse and larger Swamp Rat's, and I really like my old, beat-to-sheet Camp Tramp for debarking firewood and splitting fatwood. But when you've got to carry that puppy every step of the way over several days, I'll take my 4" Howling Rat, a Swiss Army Knife (lock-blade with saw blade), and a 21" Sven Saw any day (which, by the way, all three combined weigh just about what my Busse Terror Monkey in it's sheath weighs!).

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: knives   Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Natch wrote:
LL wrote:
Yer all a buncha lightweights. I never walk more than five steps out of bed without two of these. One on a chain around my neck, and another in my pocket as a backup.

Ahhh, I hope you don't work near water or drive over maglev tracks? Laughing

I usually carry a small pocket knife (on my key chain) but when I'm backpacking, hiking, and canoeing, I have a couple of different fixed blades I use. I'm helping some friends do a winter campout with the local boyscout troupe the next few days, and they've asked me to give a backpacking gear talk. One of the topics I always cover, especially with younger "men" is the uselessness of a large, heavy "Rambo" type knife in the woods. Young teen boys think a 9" blade at 1/4" thick is the perfect tool in the woods, but I try to dissuade them. I've got a few large bowies and several Busse and larger Swamp Rat's, and I really like my old, beat-to-sheet Camp Tramp for debarking firewood and splitting fatwood. But when you've got to carry that puppy every step of the way over several days, I'll take my 4" Howling Rat, a Swiss Army Knife (lock-blade with saw blade), and a 21" Sven Saw any day (which, by the way, all three combined weigh just about what my Busse Terror Monkey in it's sheath weighs!).

Natch

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

knives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3