HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How's this for creep factor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: How's this for creep factor?   Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:49 pm

At the library the other day I overheard a woman talking to the librarian about a book she'd just finished. Some of the references caught my ear, and after a minute I realized the subject of the book was a high-profile murder that occurred in a house that was about 200 yards from where I grew up. At the end of my street. Shocked

I joined their conversation and was shown the book, and sure enough I'd heard right. It happened 20-some years after I'd moved away, but the pics showed that nothing had changed except for the trees being bigger.

Which led to a digressive conversation about the author of the book, who is famous for writing true crime follow ups. The librarian took a few steps and pulled down a selection of the author's titles to date and I randomly handed me one to leaf through while we were talking. Apparently she was a fan.

The first page I opened to was a picture of a girl I not only immediately recognized, but knew. She'd been a house guest of mine for a week, in fact, in 1997. I scanned the liner notes and learned she was in the book because her sister had been a murder victim in Atlanta a few years later---her husband turned out to be a serial wife killer. (The girl I knew was a pivotal figure in the events leading up to the murder and as a witness afterward.)

WTF??? What are the odds? Two random books about newsworthy murders, that had a personal connection. affraid

Maybe I should move to a Powerball state and start buying tickets.

Last edited by LL on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:04 am

Simply, Life is surprising!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:36 am

As Spock would have said to Kirk:

"Fascinating."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:21 am

The odds are approximately 1.78 in 6 gabillion. Plus or minus 2%. tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeremyt

Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:56 am

You never know ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Kinda gives you a weird feeling, don't it?

Back when I was in the Navy, a bunch of us were sitting around on a Saturday watching an episode on "Mannix" on TV. I saw a high school classmate (who I knew had gone off to hollywood to pursue an acting career) playing some deranged, drugged out guy with a rifle shooting at people. This was the first time I had seen him in anything. I said, "Hey, I went to high school with that guy!"

Later that same day we were watching tennis on Wide World of Sports, or something like it, when I saw another guy who had been a year behind me in high school competing. I said, "Hey, I went to high school with that guy too!"

Everyone at once started asking, "Where in the hell did you go to high school?" Laughing

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:32 pm

LL wrote:

WTF??? What are the odds? Two random books about newsworthy murders, that had a personal connection. affraid

Maybe I should move to a Powerball state and start buying tickets.

just don't move down the street from me....murderers seem to be following you! affraid

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: How's this for creep factor?   Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Sounds like you need to contact Stephen King. It's time to pack up and hit the road buddy Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrlindeman

Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Before I moved to oregon I grew up in Sacramento California   Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:03 am

Before I moved to oregon I grew up in Sacramento California, And I lived next door to the mother of this couple for most of my childhood. A young boy lived there named Charles and he was the son of Charlene. I actually was friends with this kid until I was about 10 years old. He Was very troubled and at one time even came after my dad with an ax. The kid was my age at the time!! I lived on Berrendo drive off of eastern Ave, The grandmother of charles that lived there was the mother of charlene if I remember correctly. Any ways here is the link to the story of the couple that I am refering to. the gallego murdurers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How's this for creep factor?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1