HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Living Will...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Living Will...   Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:47 pm

Does anyone on BoB have a living will?

Due to recent illness(es) in our family, this has become a topic for discussion.

I have had experiences, as a minister, being present when life-support is taken away. I have talked to people who have felt a "living will" is very important, some stuggle with the wording.

Now, I'm thinking perhaps is the time to get it down on paper for myself.

Care to share...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeremyt

Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 pm

I personally don't have one at this time. I do think it is something everyone needs to think about, especially to consider the situation your immediate family would be in if something were to happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hammer8

Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Funny you should mention this... My living will, along with my wife's, have been sitting on the dining room table for a week just waiting for us to sign them and send them back to the lawyer's office. Gotta make sure they get in the mail on Friday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:53 pm

I have one Paul but I can tell you from experience, when my father was sick and passed the living will that he had wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Maybe it is different in Canada. Even though my father had a living will, the hospital called me at 3:00 in the morning to come down and give them permission to pull the plug so to speak, rather than letting him pass naturally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:09 am

I went to an attorney a while back to get my things in order. In addition to my will, he advised I do either an "advance care directive" instead of whats traditionally called a "living will". From what I understood, this is easier to deal with if/when the times comes for my departure.

I would reccommend one thing: get an attorney. My will was previously one of those "do-it-yourself" jobs, and I learned that it wouldn't hold up in court because of several omissions. Were it not for getting good legal advice and documents, my wishes would most likely not have been carried out as I intended.
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 am

dt753,

Yes, that's what we are facing. We have one of those "do it yourself" thingies and it's not making us comfortable, so we will get it properly done through a lawyer.

I am familiar with a the term "personal directive" and I'm not sure how different that it to a "living will".

Human nature... I've seen so many families who are in conflict because of a will or lack, thereof. Hopefully a Will expresses and carries out the wishes of the deceased, but make sure it is clear and properly done.

I hate giving monies to a lawyer. I talked this over with a financial advisor at the bank. She related horror stories. Her thinking was basically... better to pay the lawyers now on a proper Will than to spend much more on lawyers when the will isn't properly written.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:52 pm

We had a trust and living wills written up about a year ago. It gives me a piece of mind knowing that the hard decisions will be taken care of, and I'm making the decisions, not loving relatives in that moment of extreme stress. We started with the free on-line templates, but ended up going to a lawyer. Didn't cost that much and he asked questions and made us thing about situations that we never would have come up with on our own.

However, I became a but suspicious about my wife's motives when I went in for some very minor outpatient surgery on my thumb last spring; she told the doctor that I didn't look very good, that I probably didn't have long to live, that he was to preform no heroic measures, and that he might as well pull the plug now! I've not eaten her famous home made mushroom soup since. Suspect

Natch

Last edited by Natch on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Let me add, the trust is the main part of the document and I think the best assurance of your wants and desires. Just make sure you spell it out plainly (have it all written up, right down to who gets what and make sure they all have signed copies) and discuss with those on the list (siblings, spouses, adult children, etc.) so they know exactly what you want. That way, if you pass on to that big smoking room in the sky, everything you own and all decisions about your final care are made (with legal backing) by the persons you dictate to. We have a second, third, fourth, and even a fifth in order just in case.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:31 pm

natch,

Love your humor (or as we say in Canukville... humour). I keep thinking of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was in the hospital and someone tripped on the extension cord and accidentally unplugged his machinery he was hooked up to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 am

Just make sure you all leave your pipe & tobacco collections to me! Razz
(PS: Cigars too!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:23 am

If you have a DNR drawn up. Or something similar, be aware that the original should remain with the person. Where it can be gotten to quickly in case something happens and someone calls the EMT's. Without the original, EMT's will be forced to do procedures a person with a DNR may not wish them to do. Do not lock it away in a bank box! Next of kin word can be meaningless at times.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Both my wife and I have a living will. One of those do it yourself kits and one that was registered with the local hospital. Thankfully we have not had to put it through the test yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:44 am

I don't have one, but I must share with my brothers. My dad was on life support back when I was in college. The hospital kept asking us what to do, and we stalled.

Then one day after college, I was working out math problems on the white board in my dad's hospital rooms, and I hear him try to speak with tubes in his mouth.

I asked him later what he had said, and he told me it was "what the hell are you doing"

Don't know where I stand on the living will ideology.
Back to top Go down
Anthony

Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Living Will...   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:28 am

I've had a living will for a few years now, ever since my first overseas tour. You can never really tell what's going to happen in my line of work, and generally with all things, it's best to be safe rather than sorry. Especially if you have kids, all that legal stuff can get sticky really quickly if you don't place things exactly how you want them in a living will. You never know how those things can end up, and from seeing things first hand, I feel much safer having things like that taken care of exactly how I want them rather than being up to the four winds and however the law wants to iron them out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Living Will...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1