HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Canadian Long shot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Canadian Long shot   Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:48 am

I know it's a long shot. I am driving my son from Cincinnati to London, Ontario this weekend for some high school hockey games. I try to visit a B & M as my 'payback' on these trips. Do any of you know if I might have any luck finding one there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoked

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: canadian tobacco   Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:44 pm

HI Clueless

I don't think we have B&Ms here. I keep seeing that on forums and don't recognize that chain. I wish we did have it here. You know that 2oz of tobacco here is about $24.00, right? Unless you're looking for something that has stopped shipping to the USA (Like Amphora), I would just stock up at home. You could google tobacconists in london on, but most here are small and don't have the selection. They have Holy Smokes inside of Fortinos Grocery Stores here in southern on. However we have a new law here that you're not allowed to display tobacco in stores, they won't even let you go into the humidor room. They ask what you want and bring it to the cash. You need a special tobacconists license in ontario to display products in stores. I wish we had the freedom and selection of tobacco products here that you have in the USA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Canada   Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I have returned and didn't find anything. fortunately I went well stocked. By the way, the term B&M is not a chain. It simply refers to a B(ricks) and M(ortar) location - a store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoked

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Long shot   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Good thing you stocked up. Thanks for the B&M info - learn something new every day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Long shot   Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:43 am

clueless wrote:
I know it's a long shot. I am driving my son from Cincinnati to London, Ontario this weekend for some high school hockey games. I try to visit a B & M as my 'payback' on these trips. Do any of you know if I might have any luck finding one there?

Sorry I did not catch your posting earlier, the "Up In Smoke" in London is in a Loblaws (a Canadian grocery chain, which also has stores clled Fortino's, among others). Like Stoked noted you aren't going to find any tobacco bargains here as our tobacco tax is three times yours.

It does make sense to check though, since UIS stores recently discontinued stocking pipes other than Brigham, a friend scooped a couple of Petersons at 70% off, and a couple of other goodies in both pipes and accessories. London is not a bad area to hunt for estate pipes, and they have acouple of antique mall/fleamarkets which are worth scouting.

how did the hockey go? Too early to be the Silver Stick, so I take it was a locally organized tourny?? My experience from when my son was playing hockey is that most of the US teams when they came north really were tested, for the copetition here is jusst so much keener. But talking to the coaches and parents, they said that whether they won or not, that the kids hockey got so much better from the higher level they were forced to play that they rocked when they got back home.

Only exception to that was the teams out of towns like Detroit,(Compuserve & Dominoes Pizza) where they have some very well organized teams and well paid coaches. Our coaches just shook their heads over that, they get paid and get get team vans??? all our guys were volunteers and paid their own expenses.

In most of the US hockey is a third tier sport, you know football and basketball are tier one, track and wrestling would be in tier two, hockey is like one of those other sports people play when they can't play something higher. Here hockey is king in a boy's mind, and everything else is secondary.

Just re-read your posting, high school hockey. Were they playing high school teams or high school aged teams? Sounds odd, but the high school teams are generally not as good as the high school aged teams, which are picked from a bigger pool of talent. although a lot of kids will play both.

Good luck to the Bearcats in their bowl game, heck of a win Saturday.
An as always, Go Big Blue in basketball.

Al (in Canada) UK 1968
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Canadian Long shot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1