HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Work Out Suits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Work Out Suits   Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:19 am

Hey guys, I know some of you have worked out alot or still do, so I'm wondering if you have any info here. After hitting some big squats and a semi heavy Romanian deadlift, some at the gym have suggested that I invest in either a squat suit or dead lift suit.

These aren't cheap. The benefit for me would be that the straps would ease my mind of the time I am down in a squat, I come up and my shorts/pants don't. But the guys say it will improve my squat.

So my question is what exactly do these do? One obvious concern is that they are supposed to be hell to put on if you get one fitted properly.

Any advice or comments?

I gotta say I bought a compression underarmour shirt (by accident), and it did seem to help a little. I don't know if it's supporting mymuscles or helping to keep them warm, but I had an explosive workout today (3 actually this week).

I'm thinkin even if it's just a phycological advantage it may be worth considering.

They are about 160 though unless I find one on ebay.
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Work Out Suits   Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:07 am

Supersuits have been around since the mid-70's. Back in the day training in them was considered a no-no... they were to be reserved for meets.

Indeed they are hard to get on. Takes two helpers who have very strong hands and know what they are doing. Further, they should be removed between attempts if the wait is long because they are so constrictive (blood flow is affected.)

They'll do nothing for your DL, and maybe add a few kilos to your squat. Only if you do true, ref-passed, below-parallel squats, though. They'll do nothing to help you get through the sticking point per se, but afford a bit of bounce at the bottom without trashing your knees (as bouncing on its own will do.)

All of which means unless you compete in sanctioned meets, don't bother. They aren't "gym wear." Remember---since the fabric doesn't contract, it can't be assisting in the lift. All that's happening is a tighter base is created that you can bounce off of slightly. When half a kilo is what separates first place from second, or second from third, sure. Go for it. Unless that's the situation, though, save your money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shortcircuit

Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Work Out Suits   Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:55 am

I agree with LL. Save your money. It's really not worth it to buy a suit if your not competing. The best thing you can do is make sure you are using proper form. If you are going to the gym to work out and stay in shape, which the majority of people are, then having a supersuit is not going to make you make you phenomenally better. Like LL said, when the difference is a few kilos the difference matters, but when its just you.... who cares?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Work Out Suits   Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. Essentially these are competition suits. Not necessary for body building.
Back to top Go down
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Work Out Suits   Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:06 pm

It looks like you can get a great work out just putting on a squat suit AND you can also recycle grocery bags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Work Out Suits   Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Bub wrote:
It looks like you can get a great work out just putting on a squat suit AND you can also recycle grocery bags.

My balls hurt from just watching that, so I guess I'll have to pass on these...
Back to top Go down

Work Out Suits
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: