HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

BOB's biggest loser

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:40 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:
this christian propagonda

Wow you figured us out. We've spent 2000 years preaching you need to be fat with subliminal messages, drats we are busted red handed. I thought tonight's Deacon's meeting was going to be boring, apparently we will have to brainstorm some other nefarious scheme.

Whatever keeps you entertained...
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Paddy, we are working on the Easter thing... Trying to convert everyone to chocolate eggs to keep 'em fat. We've got the Christmas thing down with turkeys,pies, etc etc etc... We just need to come up with some more eating holidays, people getting skinny is a threat to Christiandom don't ya know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Enough fun, lets get back on topic. Texas Outlaw is a young guy. The rest of you are old farts. My question is for the young guys. TO,you talk about a regimen that sounds like a real stretch. Is it something that you can keep up for 20-30 years? Do you want to be a Jack LaLanne or a guy of similar age who is of average build who enjoys playing golf a couple of time a week. Some one like Tiger Woods for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne
Bub
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:35 pm

Lests there be any confusion, while I fall into the old farts camp, I believe that you have to keep the old bones movin. Maybe, or unfortunately, not like the tiger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:46 pm

I'm now roughly 6'2 and 220 pounds with a 36" waist.

Just over a year ago I was 6'2 and 272 pounds with a 43" waist.

My main motivation for the weight loss was seeing a pic of me w/ my g'friend at Fenway Park the Summer before last. I looked so big and it just upset me terribly. I began walking a mile a day which turned into three miles a day which went to jogging a mile and so on and so forth. When the weather turned I joined a gym and began heavy cardio and then weight training. I now work out a minimum of five days a week but usually six alternating back and forth between cardio and free weights.

As for a secret to making it work for you I'd say you need that "awakening moment" . It could be a comment from someone about you "eating good", a family vacation video or the fact that you have no pants left that fit you anymore. That slap in the face will motivate you to get started. Once started you'll need to emrace fitness and look at it as a journey without end rather than something you're doing short term. Embrace working out. Get a partner and do it without exuses!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:00 am

I can keep it up as long as my body allows it. I've had injuries in the past. I am building muscle and if I live to be an old man, so probably yes. Right now, I am at a stage where I am getting stronger, setting personal bests on lifts. I'm sure there will be a time where I bottom out and enter maintence stage. There are wrinkled old men at the gym that have worked out their whole life, and they are not on the program that I do, but simply maintence.

One fella who is 49 will come in , curl the 55s 4 time and call it done. According to him, he has all the mass he wants and just wants to maintain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:02 am

puros_bran wrote:
Paddy, we are working on the Easter thing... Trying to convert everyone to chocolate eggs to keep 'em fat. We've got the Christmas thing down with turkeys,pies, etc etc etc... We just need to come up with some more eating holidays, people getting skinny is a threat to Christiandom don't ya know.

And that's exactly the bullshit I'm used to from Christians. By the way, turkey is healthy and a staple in my diet. Preach that at your deacons parties.
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:04 am

Uh oh...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:22 am

Texas Outlaw
After your ridiculous claim that somehow Christianity is tied to people being overweight I'm suprised anyone takes anything you say seriously, but If you notice I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to a brother that tried to joke off your childish silly remark.. Stick to your "I bought another pipe, I work to hard, I'm going to be a daddy" posts and refrain from religious comments in the round table area where they don't belong. If you'd like to discuss religion please keep it in the rubber room.

LL, No ut oh here.. Coming from you or J it bothers me.. I don't deny that, but coming from someone I see as a braggart and a bore I really don't care, other than to point out the nonsense of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 am

puros_bran wrote:
Texas Outlaw
After your ridiculous claim that somehow Christianity is tied to people being overweight I'm suprised anyone takes anything you say seriously, but If you notice I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to a brother that tried to joke off your childish silly remark.. Stick to your "I bought another pipe, I work to hard, I'm going to be a daddy" posts and refrain from religious comments in the round table area where they don't belong. If you'd like to discuss religion please keep it in the rubber room.

LL, No ut oh here.. Coming from you or J it bothers me.. I don't deny that, but coming from someone I see as a braggart and a bore I really don't care, other than to point out the nonsense of it.

I didn't realize I was bothering every body, thought I was sharing my life with some brothers. I will refrains from any further brags. I'm sorry I offended you. THought you guys wanted to know what was going on with me.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am

Some may, and don't let my personal opinion make you refrain in any way TO.
I'm sure some enjoy it, just not me... but what do i really know, I'm just a knucklehead from the Rubber Room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 am

Both "feasting" and "fasting" periods are common to a great many religions, not just the dominant one in the US. Here it may be associated with Christian Holy Days, or holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, and Lent for the fasting, but that certainly doesn't limit it in the world.

You would face the same temptations if you were in a Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, or even under the ancient gods of Rome or Greece.

A point to consider to you extreme workout types is that there are limits to how much conditioning your heart can take. It may sound like blasphemy to the weight lifting crew, but your heart is not naturally designed to pump blood to a 300+ pound body.
while you may be able to maintain a healthy heart while you are actively working at it, any time you are interupted at it or if you pass you own inherent limits of what your heart can support you become at risk. There are plenty of animal studies and in humans there are the insurance statistics which bear it out. With the insurance companies it is not a question of any type of prejudice, it is simply a question of numbers, and the numbers say any male over 300 pounds is at a greater health risk than one under, regardless of age or relative fitness. For women that point is reached at 250 pounds.

With animals it has been the attempt to devleope strains that put on muscle and weight faster, so that they are cheaper to bring to market, and the limiting factor is always one thing: the heart cannot support the mass beyond a certain point. It is true that you can't get a chicken or a pig or a cow to do cardio, but it doesn't seem to matterwhether the animals are grown in factory type farms or free ranging, they simply outgrow the heart's ability to support the extra body mass.

The only reason I know this is that I work in insurance and i questioned some of the underwriting rules of the company in regards to an athelete who was over the 300 pound limit our company uses. As the underwriting department said to me, other companies can decide to cover them, but the premiums the clients pay would astound you, and we just don't want to get into that particular can of worms.

Just food for thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:17 am

Al in Canada wrote:

With animals it has been the attempt to devleope strains that put on muscle and weight faster, so that they are cheaper to bring to market, and the limiting factor is always one thing: the heart cannot support the mass beyond a certain point. It is true that you can't get a chicken or a pig or a cow to do cardio, but it doesn't seem to matterwhether the animals are grown in factory type farms or free ranging, they simply outgrow the heart's ability to support the extra body mass.

Info bit: The above is why the larger the dog breed, the shorter its life expectancy; and why guys like Andre the Giant rarely make it to 40. Critters only scale up linearly when their evolution is forced (or in the case of Andre, by a hormonal malfunction), while their mass increases exponentially.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 pm

1. 180 lbs
2. 55 lbs
3. 125 lbs
4. Eating healthy and in smaller portions and regular excercise. :-)
5. not really
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:22 pm

No fair counting when you had a baby! Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 am

jhuggett wrote:
No fair counting when you had a baby! Laughing
And why not??? I would certainly count it if my wife had lost it

But unfortunately she didn't and the "baby" is now 23 and I know she would count it if she could.

It is not like you put on 45 pounds while pregnant, have an 8 pound baby and the other 37 pounds just fall off. You got to work it off, just like any other time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:12 pm

My first year in college, I weighed 165 pounds at 5' 10" and was relatively fit
By graduation, I was a buck 85, and out of shape
Three years later, I was 210 and way out of shape. I dealt with my work stress by eating and drinking, and almost never exercising.
I went back to graduate school, which lowered the stress, and I got to 160 via exercising and dieting
Six years later, I am 195 again. Still eat and drink to deal with the work stress (not good) but exercise for 30-40 minutes, 4x a day.

It is a battle without end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Haha, the 55 pounds lost were not including the 35 that the baby added. I was almost 210 lbs when I had Alex.
Insane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic

BOB's biggest loser
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2