HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest/Show

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: The Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest/Show   Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:26 pm

This year's late Fall classic was quite possibly the best one I've ever attended!

After a short and traffic free One hour-three quarters drive from Agawam,Ma I met up with the SHPC guys at the great I-84 Diner in Fishkill for a late breakfast. After eating we filed into our cars and met up again at the home of SM Frank in Peekskill,NY. The company makes and distributes the Kaywoodie,Medico and Yellow Bole brand pipes. It's located in a very old industrial park on one of the back roads in town. By the time I got there at 12:30 or so the room was already bussling with activity. Pipemaker and Park Lane tobacco store owner Paul Bonaquistiwas already setting up his tables. Paul is one shrewd dude folks. In a past life I get the feeling he was a used car dealer like me though he was much more successful at it! I always get the sense he just got the better end of the deal after I've made a purchase or a trade Laughing In any event he had a lovely smooth Tao and a few Stanwells which were to my liking. In all fairness he DID give me one hell of a good deal on the package folks. OR DID HE? Evil or Very Mad Within the next 1/2 hour more pipe makers, vendors and attendees came through the door. I caught up briefly with pipemaker and buddy Joe Skoda from NY state. The pipes he brought were just amazing! His designs are really pushing the envelope to the very limit. A bit later our own Doc Watson aka Andy Camire aka the estate pipe guru came in. Andy is settling the estate of our beloved and now deceased president Don the Col Powers. It was important for me to geto one of Don's pipes as a rememerance so I settled on our 2006 SHPC POY by Tim Hynick in the dark stain. Speaking of Tim he came in shortly after and set up a table full of his new pipes. Tim is most famous for his rustication which is as deep as holly hell! He REALLY carves a pipe! I then briefly caught up with friend and exclub member Dr.Bob Kiess who now lives in waaaaay up Vermont. Bob also had a table of his own pipes for sale which were priced well, crazy lightweight and also beautifully rusticated. As the day went on I caught up with friends Vernon Vig, Lou Carbone and his friend Officer Dom as well as the Prez of SM Frank Bill Feurebach and NASPC tobacco reviewer Lou Zisholtz. It's always nice seeing these gentlemen. It's just sad that we only all get together a couple of times a year here and at the NY show in Newark. Throughout the day the rooms attendance grew to nearly 50 people. Many pipes changed hands. I spent the balance of the day talking with my SHPC buddies swapping stories and just generally ragging on each other. Generally the vendors in attendance told me that they were doing pretty well with sales. This made me happy especially in this poor economy. Around about 5:00pm diner was served and after that the sloooooow pipe smoking contest began. For me this is the low light of the day. I find it all so terribly boring! To sum it up, after 1/2 hour most of the room was out. Paul Bonaquisti had the winning time and took home the trophy. I can't remember what his time was but if I had to guess I'd sat 45 mins or so. Afterwards we got things packed up, said our goodbyes and headed for home already anticipating next years meet-up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: The Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest/Show   Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:28 pm

Nice article Dock,
It was good to see you after such a long absence, and it was indeed the best party yet. Bill Feuerbach really works his butt off to make this a success, organizing the event, making all of the contest pipes, bringing in the FANTASTIC meal etc, etc.
Not to be negative or demeaning in any way, but this is the BEST show of the year in New York hands down.
And you did get a good deal from Paul Bonacquisti, just look at those pipes. Awesome.
Doc Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest/Show   Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 pm

I was looking forward to attending also. I live very close to the area but unfortunately, I had to be up in Syracuse to do some business and attend my friend's 55th Birthday event.

I was also looking forward to meeting some of the B.O.B.'s and SHPC guys. Well, maybe next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest/Show   Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanx Son tongue santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest/Show
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1