HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Highly disciplined, or simply insane?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:02 pm

A customer of mine just told me has a firm limit of 60 pipes in his collection. If one comes in, one must be let go. No exceptions, and I'm sure he isn't putting me on.

The amazing part? He could burn bales of money to heat his house if he wanted, and his net worth would still increase every day. He's not Bill Gates class, but past a certain point it doesn't matter.

He definitely knows pipes and is passionate about them, so it isn't that they're an afterthought. It's his primary hobby.

I find that thinking about this makes a fizzy sound in my brain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 pm

In general morons aren't wealthy, or at least they don't stay wealthy...
So I doubt he's crazy. I would suggest he is practical.

Unless you suscribe to smoke it once and set it down for seven days, and you smoke about 8-9 bowls a day 60 pipes are more than what you need.

The Mrs and I had a conversation today about my pipes... I had told her about that lazy susan rack Santa brought me.. She commented that I needed it because I had pipes laying around loose.. Oddly enough I commented that the real solution would be to get rid of some pipes... She replied that I only NEED seven pipes( she was listening back in the early days, who woulda thunk it)... I corrected her of course, under my current system I NEED 10. Everything else is extra.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:00 pm

I say disciplined... That's how folks get rich. I know because that's why I'll never be rich.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:18 am

Sixty pipes eh? I'm half way there. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am

Not me...they check in; they don't check out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:28 am

As soon as I have a collection of 200 strong, I may consider it....... then again maybe not............ right now I stand 37 pipes strong so I have a way to go still!
Back to top Go down
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:08 am

Hermit wrote:
Not me...they check in; they don't check out.

Known as the Hotel California collecting philosophy, presumably. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 am

Either that or The Roach Motel philosophy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 am

puros_bran wrote:
Either that or The Roach Motel philosophy

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:52 am

I wonder how he arrived at the number 60?

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 pm

jhuggett wrote:
I say disciplined... That's how folks get rich. I know because that's why I'll never be rich.

lol! Jason, you've just synopsized why I'm driving a 15 year old cheapest Honda made with over 1/4 million miles on it and my jeans have holes in both knees!

Diseciplen? Hell, I can't even spell it.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:18 pm

I'd say the fellow is focused.

My pipe cabinet holds 36 pipes. While there is room for more in drawers or boxes on shelves, I have limited myself to 36. When I get a new pipe, one is sold on eBay. I figure that my collection is getting more refined. Only a couple of pipes are exempt - my first pipe and one that my partner Linda bought me. Everything else is considered a possible path to upgrade. Even with 36 pipes, there is more than one that I haven't ever smoked.

Doug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joseph76

Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Highly disciplined, or simply insane?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:35 pm

It really depends on whether you buy pipes to smoke or you are a true collector.

If you smoke 2 bowls a day, even 14 pipes could give your pipes a healthy 7 days rest between fires.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Highly disciplined, or simply insane?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1