HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Snow of the Decade...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:23 am

HistoryMajor wrote:
We had a rough couple days a week or two ago...it ain't pretty.

HistoryMajor's back porch view last week:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dodge

Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 am

Love that picture of the deer neck deep, reminds me of a few storms I saw in Buffalo NY.

I'm in Connecticut we got whacked with about 2 feet. The town plows turned that into a 4 foot wall of snow at the end of my driveway but my big ol' dodge ram tore that right down, I didn't even touch a shovel this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Won't be doing any "sonic booming" on this trip!! I'll just be glad to be able to do the speed limit and not get jammed up by some super wreck!!! Looks like the trip thru West "By god" Virginiaon Tuesday may be a little testy!

Signing off til January!!! A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all santa rendeer santa rendeer FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:12 pm

If you're in the south and not used to the snow and ice then I'd suggest staying home as much as possible. I've lived in Syracuse the past ten years and work the thruway from between Albany up to Lake George to Buffalo/Niagara Falls. The only snow I like is on pictures of a post card.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:54 am

Made it to work this morning, just a half hour late. The roads arent that bad, the snow plows were at it all weekend. Interstate 81 which splits the county in half (Montgomery) was a mess according to the local news reports, seems the snow fell so fast Friday evening and there was so much traffic from local Universities letting out and the holiday travelers cars and trucks were just stopped and Interstate 81 ceased to exist, becoming a parking lot. Anyhow they got the people to shelters for friday night, but then Saturday was spent towing vehicles out of the way so the plows could get through. Anyway lots of locals got their first chance to drive in a real snow.
The forcasters got it right, we got exactly 12" at my house although many surrounding areas got up to 24".
I think one thing many of you northerners (and/or flatlanders) may not realize is we (at least in this part of the state), live in the mountains, many hills and valley's; one spot freezes the next spot is just water. You might be able to get to the top of one hill but not stop at the bottom. There can be many inches diffference in the depth of the snow depending on which direction the storm is coming from. We locals find that the flatlanders that move in here are usually the ones hitting the ditches first. Twisted Evil
Growing up here we saw at least one snow a year like this, with many more (6-8") between, with a "blizzard" (~24") about once every 10 years, it's just been over the past ten years that we haven't gotten any substancial snowfall.
The kids are loving it anyway!
Back to top Go down
HoosierPuffer

Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: snow   Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30 am

Well, send some our way. I'd sure like a little more than we've gotten so far. All I was able to do was have one measly snowball fight with my boy and build one tiny snowman. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaronbtxnc

Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:39 am

We ended up with about 12 inches give or take, depending on elevation. Friday afternoon was the worst with everyone trying to get home, but by Friday night the idiots were mostly out of the way. This morning's drive in was probably the most dangerous driving of all weekend with the black ice everywhere. It's supposed to get up to about 50 today so there will be more black ice tomorrow morning, be careful out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/asbpipes
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:24 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:58 am

In Knoxville, we didn't hardly get a flake. As usual, everywhere surrounding us got snow while we got rain. When I grew up here, we used to get snow every winter, but that's certainly not the case nowadays. The last big snow we got in Knoxville was in 1993 when we got about 2 feet.

No white Christmas for me Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 am

dt753 wrote:
In Knoxville, we didn't hardly get a flake. As usual, everywhere surrounding us got snow while we got rain. When I grew up here, we used to get snow every winter, but that's certainly not the case nowadays. The last big snow we got in Knoxville was in 1993 when we got about 2 feet.

I remember that 93 storm, we got 24" as well. Pretty much shut everything down for two weeks. We lost power for a week.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 am

dt753 wrote:

That's the power of the Sunsphere!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Wide Awake

Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 pm

There was the 98 snow storm that shutdown most of East Tennessee for a couple of days. I was at TC for college at the time
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Here's a photo I took Saturday after the storm passed, and before I dug us out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:57 pm

EJinVA wrote:
dt753 wrote:

I remember that 93 storm, we got 24" as well. Pretty much shut everything down for two weeks. We lost power for a week.

Yeah, I remember it well. I was living on my grandparents farm up in the mountains back then. It started snowing late Friday night, and didn't let up until late on Sunday. I had drifts 5 feet deep, and no power or phone for over a week. I heated that drafty old house with fireplaces and an old wood burning cook stove in the kitchen, and about froze to death! The snow was so deep I couldn't push a wheelbarrow to the woodshed, so I had to carry it in arm-load at a time. No power meant no running water, so I was melting snow to get water to drink. THe batteries in my radio died on the second day, so I stayed cooped up for 6 days by myself with no contact to the outside world.

I do wish for snow, just not as much as in '93. Been there...done that...don't want to do it again Exclamation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Wide Awake wrote:
There was the 98 snow storm that shutdown most of East Tennessee for a couple of days. I was at TC for college at the time

Yes, East TN gets snow quite often, but not much in the city of Knoxville. I have a fifth-wheel travel trailer on a permanent campsite near Greenville, TN...there was several inches of snow there over the weekend, but none at all here in Knoxville.
Back to top Go down
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Snow of the Decade...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:50 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Winslow, I say this from the bottom of my heart man...

Don't go drive in that snow the first 8-12 hrs or so.

You think I'm joking but I am serious...

You see the problem isn't your ability, its the other guys...
Every redneck in 100 miles of your house will wreck in your yard with their 4 wheel drive... The Cops will all be in the ditch.. Don't be shocked when even the salt trucks are upside down... Otherwise intelligent people will slap their brakes, mash their gas, etc ... It gets crazy fast...

The people we are discussing really don't know what to do...

3 inch of chicago snow is totally different than 3 inch of Virginia beach snow.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, 4-wheel and all-wheel drive, anti-lock brakes, and automatic transmissions have all contributed to people's current inability to drive in less than ideal conditions. When I was young, Dad taught me to use brakes sparingly and downshift to control speed on ice and snow. Now everybody thinks anti-lock brakes work just as well on snow as on dry pavement, their four wheeler will maintain traction anywhere. And, nobody understands engine compression.

We got about 8 inches here. Our power was out from about 8:00 PM, Friday, until around 1:00 PM, Monday. At that, we were fortunate. Several thousand people in the area probably won't have power and water until after Christmas, some possibly even into the New Year.
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Snow of the Decade...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2