HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Homemade Tamper From a Musician

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wesbarber

wesbarber

Registration date : 2009-11-29

Homemade Tamper From a Musician Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:36 am

I didn't have a tamper until I made one myself. Anyone who's used or seen a 1/4" instrument cable will recognize where the parts came from. The "poker" bit is a jack plug from a Dean Markley Pro Mag acoustic pickup cable. The "tamper" end is a guitar strap button. I was surprised at how well the two parts fit together. I won't be buying a tamper anytime soon. The ridges on the side is a plus because it keeps me on notice of how much is left in the bowl. Hope someone likes it, I love it and it didn't cost me a penny! I'm going to try and post some pictures (Though they ARE terrible pictures. Here goes...the guitarist's tamper. Now, if I can just figure out how to make a reamer...

Homemade Tamper From a Musician Tamper2

Homemade Tamper From a Musician Tamper3

Homemade Tamper From a Musician Tamper4
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wesbarber
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
Centurian 803

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 6:23 am

Ahhhhh. American ingenutiy lives on. cheers
Back to top Go down
shortcircuit

Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 8:07 pm

That is one sweet tamper. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
dbreazeale

dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Love it!

You've inspired me to go to the basement and raid the junk guitar parts box! cheers
Back to top Go down
wesbarber

wesbarber

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:34 pm

This particular jack plug is a "solderless" one, in that it uses a set screw instead of lead to keep things connected. I would bet the type with a set screw would work better because it helps create something for the guitar strap button's screw to bite and hold to. Then, you can also tighten it up and keep things together.

Glad some folks dig the idea. Nothing better than saving money and still finding good ideas.
Back to top Go down
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 3:56 pm

I love it! It's got a tamper end and a pokey end - just the way I like my tampers. And I certainly have enough bad patch cables around here to do something similar.

How did you get the 2 parts together? Do they screw into each other, epoxy, solder?

-Andrew
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Thats really cool!
I Love It! cheers
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 6:58 pm

You better hurry up and patent it before some of the brothers on here favorite crowd (Obama, Pelosi and Reid) figure out how to tax pipe tampers! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
wesbarber

wesbarber

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:42 pm

The set-screw on the 1/4" jack helps create a ramp for the strap button's screw to pull on. When it's tight then just tighten the set screw and it stays tight. I've never had a problem. I don't see how it would work with the typical switchcraft type of jack, which is really nothing but the "poker" and a place to house the soldering job for the wires. There would be nothing but a void there. One would have to use something to fill it up.
Back to top Go down
IronKnight

IronKnight

Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 am

Thats brilliant, I have so many shorted cables from playing shows thats what I'm gonna do. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
Lestrade

Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 am

Neat idea and tamper!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:54 pm

That's pretty rockin'. Cool Literally.
Back to top Go down
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"
Richard Hester

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 am

Very nice my young friend cheers cheers cheers
Best Regards
Richard
Back to top Go down
http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
PipeLeisure

PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Love it...what a great idea. Idea
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 7:10 pm

That is brilliant! Makes me wonder what other connectors could be turned into tampers...

Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
NeroWolfe

NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 pm

In a pinch, some old timers would steal a sewing thimble from their wife, and use it as a tamper...
Back to top Go down
Briar Boy

Briar Boy

Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:12 am

That is too cool, I might make one myself, I have the George L's cable tips which also have the set screw, thanks for the great idea.
Back to top Go down
inshane64

inshane64

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Tamper From a Musician   Homemade Tamper From a Musician EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 am

Too bad all my cables are Monster cables, I am gonna haffta find a cheapie to make me one of these.
Back to top Go down

Homemade Tamper From a Musician
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: