HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:07 pm

A culinary question to the brethren:

I have been tasked with cooking a prime rib (boneless) for Christmas dinner tomorrow... and I have been looking at recipes online. I have used the rock salt method in the past with great results, but it has been a while since I have cooked one. My question is this:
Do you cook yours slow and low (around 250), or do you cook it on high (say 450) then drop it down to 375 or so? Thanks in advance to any and all responses, and Merry Christmas to all the great pipesters here on the BOB!

TB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I always start it high and then drop it down after about twenty minutes. The idea being it seals in the juices and creates a crispier outside. The reality though is I've tried quite a few different methods and I loved them all as long as overcooking is avoided. Pretty hard to mess it up other than that.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:03 pm

I often make lamb roasts where I sear the entire roast in a large fry pan (being sure to give all sides a good sear - in butter and olive oil (and garlic Smile

once a good brown on all sides (just a few minutes) into the oven it goes at 350 till internal temp right

should work fine with any red meat...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:24 am

I always cook my beef on a high heat, be it oven or grill as I like it seared on the outside and medium rare, leaning towards the rare side internally. With a prime rib or roast it is prefered to be crusty on the outside. Also as Jason said the higher heat seals in the juices so to speak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
rick

Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 pm

Sorry I'm a bit late.................but thats the norm for me Shocked

Did it the low and slow way this year and it was the best ever.

Dry aged in my fridge for 8 days and then on Christmas morn I brought it out for about 1.5 hrs to get to room temp (17.5 lb rib roast)
Rubbed it with olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning and then put it in a roaster at 225 F Shocked until the internal temp reached 110F
Brought it out to rest and as the temp stabilized around 120F I put it in the oven at 500F for about 15 minutes
Brought it out again, covered it in foil and after about 30 minutes sliced up the prettiest roast this casa has ever seen.

Alton Brown was my muse this year and me thinks I'll stick with this method from now on.

Backstory:
Ive done the 500F for 5 minutes / lb of roast and then shut off the oven and wait method...................nice and easy and decent results
Ive done the sear and char on the BBQ and then bring the roast to the oven method..........................kinda easy and decent results but:
this year Ive seen the light.
No goin back for me.[i]

Last edited by rick on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I'm semi-retarded)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:11 pm

Rick, are those figures really in degrees Celsius? I hate to second-guess a recipe, but those temps seem really high for the average oven (500C = 932 F).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
rick

Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:16 pm

Nice one, Doc.
I, um................meant to do that.
Just wanted to know if anyone ever read my posts. Yeah, thats the ticket !

I meant "F", not "C"
Self medicating, I am.
Manhattans, BTW Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm

Didn't mean to "blow up your spot" as the kids say... believe me, if making a perfect roast required ceramic-kiln temps, I'd try it once.

(I've seen recipes for pizza that begin "Preheat your pizza stone on your oven's cleaning cycle" in an attempt to replicate the 900F coal ovens at Lombardi's.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Pipey McPiperson

Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp   Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 pm

I've had Prime Rib cooked almost every way under the sun, and I can unequivocally state that nothing beats the flavor and tenderness of some prime put in a smoker. Load it up with spices put in in the morning, and let it smoke away all day. AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Recommended Prime Rib Cooking Method/Temp
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1