HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 am

...click to activate the map in this article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2216238/

The ripple effects of what you see haven't even begun in many cases.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 am

Obviously this must not be the data that the white house uses for their press conferences.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 am

Amazing stuff,looks like the spread of a virus.Nothing gets made in this
country anymore,we are going to lose all the skilled people it takes to
manufacture things.Yikes!

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amenhotep04

Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:46 am

There's nothing surprising there. That is all consistent with reports dating back 15 months or so ago. In late 2008 a lot of economists were predicting double digit unemployment by the end of 2009, and the possibility of a jobless recovery. We were getting reports to expect that 2010 and possibly 2011 were going to be worse. Even if the economy shows signs of recovery, the overall numbers would not necessarily improve for some time. In 2008, we were told here that it was probably going to be around 2013 before we saw our funding back to normal (I'm in education). We were also told we wouldn't get raises for possibly five years (from early 2008). So while some of us still have jobs, we're effectively getting pay cuts.

On a related note, this has influenced a resurgence of pipe smoking as people don't have money to do stuff, so sitting, smoking a pipe has become more in fashion. It's cheaper long term than cigarettes, and since we don't have money to go places, we can just relax, and smoke a bowl.

farao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Very Happy Government Math: My funding didn't grow therefore it is a cut. Very Happy

The only viable answer is more and bigger Government funded by more and bigger taxes. Matter o fact the Government needs to declare Martial Law and confiscate all corporate,private and personal property.. Problem solved, no more failing business, no more foreclosure, no more bankruptcy,no more problems.. We wouldn't have to pay taxes, there could be no more Corporate Greed effecting our standard of living, no more class warfare, wouldn't it be great. And best of all, we'd all have Health Care, yeah, yeah,yeah..

From each according to her ability, to each according to her need (Marx was a sexist)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Dang, For a minute I thought I stumbled into the Rubber Room. affraid
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 pm

puros_bran wrote:

From each according to her ability, to each according to her need (Marx was a sexist)

Just a fancy way of saying spread the wealth. Where do you think Obama got his inspiration from..................
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Couldn't have been Marx.. Marx was sexist with his masculine language. A truly enlightened individual would have used Gender Neutral language, or at least Gender Inclusive language.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:38 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Couldn't have been Marx.. Marx was sexist with his masculine language. A truly enlightened individual would have used Gender Neutral language, or at least Gender Inclusive language.

Oh, you are right PB, least anyone be offended.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:53 pm

[quote="puros_bran"]Very Happy Government Math: My funding didn't grow therefore it is a cut
quote]

This bullshit has always astounded me.

pretzel logic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:22 pm

It may sound like BS but when the bottom line is my take home is less a month than it was last year it's real as a "true" pay cut. Laughing

No pay increase plus higher medical premiums and a greater percentage of employee contribution to retirement equals less money in my pocket. I'm not complaining though, just happy to have a job.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 am

jhuggett wrote:
. I'm not complaining though, just happy to have a job.

Amen to that!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...   Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 am

Centurian 803 wrote:
jhuggett wrote:
. I'm not complaining though, just happy to have a job.

Amen to that!!!

Ditto!

Being in the residential construction industry my job hangs by a thin thread every day, especially since I'm at the bottom of the totem pole in my job catagory.
Back to top Go down

Anyone who thinks the economy is on the mend...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1