HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 pm

There's some very ornate tobacco tins that our weed comes in. Embossed and screened with depictions of various logos and objects pertaining to tobacco ,,,or not. Different shapes, sizes and features. Anyone stacking these on the shelf for posterity,,or are we tossing them all away?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm

I've been keeping all mine, they make good storage for little stuff (buttons, brads/tacks, screws etc). My son likes them for the same reason, just warned him not to take one to school (contraband ya know).
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:33 pm

I have a box full in a closet but really most of them aren't very ornate. Standard tins with paper labels. It would be cool to have a collection of the older, nicer ones though.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I asked that question on SF and didn't get much response. I'm thinking of making a scrap book of labels on the standard cylindar shape variety and maybe keeping some of the more ornate or unusual shaped ones. Hopefully they don't put those health warnings that ruin the european tins on ours anytime soon.

Last edited by shadrack on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Several years ago I bought some of the Larsen fancier tins not only for the tobacco but for the tins as well to put in my man cave if it ever gets built. I've also kept several of the smaller older tins (McB 50 gram Navy Flake, Peterson 50gr Univ. Flake) to refill and use as a "pouch" when hunting or fishing.

Jim..my ha'pence if that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 pm

I usually give them to anyone who uses them to store things. I use some in my workshop for the same reason. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Do Walnut tubs count? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 pm

I usually throw them away, but ya'll have given me a few ideas Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Tins   Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:38 am

They are used for utility by lots of folks, you will find them in all sorts of workshops and even sewing boxes, and they are actively collected for themselves too.

The newer tins don't fetch a premium, but many of the older versions, especially those which are not in production any longer sell in the antique/flea market trade trade, generally as "decor" items. The only ones truly worth a "premium" are the older tins in immaculate condition, which is easy to understand as most of the older ones either show wear and tear from being improperly stored (rust and dents/scratches) or from being used in the utility mode. Like many another older originally common item, no one saw any reason to care for them, they had no value, so now if you want one that looks "new" they are not to be had.

Those horrible health warning labels can be removed, with care if they are applied to the label, in contrast to the ones where it is part of the original printing. And the health warnings make for variations on the theme. You can have packs with no warning, then when it has a simple warning, then more complex w/ small pic, then the gawd awful pictures of cancer, tooth decay, black lung, etc.

If I ever get my "man cave" I anticipate having a display of tins aas part of the decor.

Be careful, once you start down the road of collecting anything you will end up having to have perfect "Dills" tin, and spending more for an empty tin than you do for a full one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tins
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1