HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:54 pm

I wonder if you can identify the changes in your tastes in tobacco preferences over the years. This may get your head spinning, especially if you are into 'cellaring' quantities.

For me...

So Called Drug Store Blends Phase
Drug Store blends since the mid 1960's until retirement in the early 2000's

Latakia Phase
Latakia blends took over with occasional orientals

Eclectic Phase
Started buying and trying everthing.

VaPer Phase
Everything had to have perique.

Virginia Phase
Love those straight va's

Burley Phase
Man there are some great burley's

Now back to Eclectic

Anyone like to share their journey so far...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Aromatics,,,
quality aromatics,,
VA/aromatics,,
burley blends,,
VA/burley blends,,
VAPers
now, anything that sounds interesting,,

The cellar is a hodgepodge, some I have no interest in returning to, some I hope will improve after they age. I'm cellaring while chasing my changing tastebuds and preferences, an exercise in futility.
Interesting topic, causes one to stop and smell the tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:33 pm

For the first five (1964-69) years of my pipe-smoking journey, I was all over the place. Started with the "drug store blends," mostly aromatics and burleys (think H&H, PA, CH, Cherry Blend, etc.). Ventured to Vas and lat-weed with Dunhill, John Cotton, Barneys, Four Square, etc. Finally figured out in 1969-1970 that I was an "English" kind of guy. Been nothing but English/Balkan/Oriental since. I do ease away occasionally to the other side. I do have a stash of Bob's CF, The Mayor's CF, and my last four well-aged pouches of Troost Slices. But that's as far as I go. No straight burley, cavendish, aromatics, or periques. A bit of the four in a blend perhaps, but that's it!!! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Paul, My journey has been a long one!!! Very Happy
First I had my go with OTC, Edgeworth slices[should have bought tons of tongue ] Edgeworth RR, Holiday, PA, CH, and for many years Rum & Maple[original], then I found Sail, all the colors, Flying Dutchman, and for many years I smoked these and more, and was happy as a clam! Very Happy
And then I woke up and found thw internet!!! Very Happy
I started buying everything, from Hermit's Ten Russians To Mc's Navy flake Very Happy I hadn't found my " tongue" yet, almst everything was good, but seemingly not for me.
About this time with what little knowledge of the internet, computers, I found the Lakes Districts Tabacs! and I fell in love with All of them, namely Gwaith & Hogwarth the Cadillac of All tabacs, my first foray was Bob's Chocolate flake '03, I still have a bunch, I couldn't believe a tabac could be so smooth and satisfying in the same smoke! My Favourite is Bosun Cut Plug, and am smoking my batch from '05
Are my tastes changing once again? I seem to be on an odessey again. Burleys those of Peretti's, Uhle's, and GLP's Cumberland, but lately I've had a hankering for somr Red Flake From McCrannies!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Ken tongue
Pacem en Puffing! pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Some might find it hard to believe but my first smoking experiences were with rabbit tobacco and corn silks. Rabbit tobacco is not too bad but corn silks are rough. I don't know why people suggested smoking it. That was around 1971 or so. Graduated to the likes of SWR, CH, PA and even Bugler RYO in a pipe. Occasionally I would get some of my dad's Borkum Riff. He loved that stuff and I didn't think it was all that bad back then either. Oddly even though I don't smoke much of it now I always liked SWR the best and I believe it had to do with the tin aroma. To this day I still love the tin aroma of SWR and I do keep a large can of it around and just open it and sniff it more than I smoke it. Never could really get into the Tinderbox type aromatics. I smoked the above mentioned tobaccos on and off from the early 1970's until around 1997 or so when I first started attending TAPS meetings and discovered the internet pipe world. That's when I discovered C&D and moved into the English phase for a while. The heavier the Latakia the better and for a short time I became a huge SOTE fan. Then I discoverd C&D Yaller Dawg and smoked it almost exclusively for about 2-3 years. Then I discovered Walnut and the rest is History. Though the truth be told, had C&D not had to discontinue Yaller Dawg I would probably still be smoking it today. Oh, there are a few others I like such as GLP Cumberland, C&D ER which is relatively new. And now the Uhle's Burleys that I have recently discovered but day in and day out I am sticking with Walnut. When I do stray from it, I find myself longing for the next bowl of it.

I would like to add that I find it odd that I never saw Walnut before then and I have concluded that John Middleton must have been targeting the Northern market when I was a kid and Teenager. I never remember seeing my Dad or any other men smoking it. My dad did smoke London Dock sometimes and I remember some LD tins sitting around the house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
stoked

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:51 pm

HI All,

Started with CBW and Amphora Brown and Red. Started getting better aros from the jars at the "tobacconist" we have in a certain food store chain here in Canada. That was the 2 dimensional world I lived in . One day I googled "pipe smoker forums" and started reading -my eyes were opened. I went to quality aros, then navy blends followed by english/orientals. Next was Lakeland style, then virginia cavendishs, then virginia periques and straight virginias. Finally I'm onto burleys and American drugstore blends like PA,CH, SWR and I love them. My trip down tobacco road has been typical in the sense of going from aros to better things. My journey has been the reverse to that of many of you in that here in Canada we don't have many of the classics that originated in the US, so I am trying those last and am pleasantly surprised at their straightforward, honest reliability.
I don't think there are many blends that I would totally leave behind, with the exception of overcased aros. Anything super sweet is disgusting to me these days. I'd rather have a naturally sweet virginia like Anniversay Kake (eg.) when I'm in the mood for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Good evening,

My journey has started just recently. 2 years go i was mainly on drugstore brands namely amphora red, brown and Sail all colours. At the time they weren't bad but gummed up my pipe pretty bad and along with my inexperience my tongue paid the price! then i decided maybe i needed to find other pipe smokers so i went to the local B&M and had my eyes opened up to Dunhill lines, Petersons, many house blends. Right now i love the burley blends at the B&M and Dunhill's 965 and i have developed a new affliction for the plum cake but mainly i like trying anything and have been lucky enough to run into SP before we even new each other were pipe-smokers and has been very generous in the tobacco samples!

Also, tried Walnut....meh Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes   Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 am

Growing up in middle of nowhere, Canada the choices were very limited at our one general store and one gas station. Amphora was probably the first I smoked since the fellow who inspired me to start smoking a pipe smoked Amphora brown. I eventually settled on Borkum Riff Whiskey as my favorite, although I smoked Mixture 79 a lot as well since a friend's Dad told me it was one of the best available. SWR also entered into the rotation which pretty much stayed like this for about 20 years along with cigs. I had very little experience with premium tinned tobaccos although I do remember discovering Erinmore Flake as a premium aromatic a couple of years before I quit.

I quit cigs when my kids were born and eventually gave up the pipe and all smoking for about 7 years and then took back up cigars when the boom took hold in early-90's. This also got me into the tobacco forums on the internet and eventually led me back to the pipe in early 2000's. I went immediately into English blends for about 3 years, lots of Dunhill 965, EMP, Nightcap (still have about 60 assorted cans and a few lbs of bulk in my cellar), the Frogs, Penzance, etc. Living in KC I became interested in McClelland tobaccos and their reputation for well aged virginias, my local B&M got me onto 2015 and since then I have been primarily a Va smoker for the past 5 years. Last summer I went looking for an all day, bite-free OTC smoke and tried all the common ones including revisiting SWR and Mix79. I eventually settled on CH as a daily smoke with my Va's reserved for evenings, weekends etc when I had time to sit, sip and enjoy. Just in the past few weeks I finally ordered some Walnut which was one that I never found locally (thanks to JP and his loyalty to this blend for prompting me to order) and have to say right now it is occupying almost all of my smoking time, for me it fits very nicely between an OTC burley and a premium.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Changing Journey of Tobacco Tastes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1