HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rim Darkening!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Does Rim Darkening Bother You?
Yes!
48%
 48% [ 34 ]
No!
52%
 52% [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 71

AuthorMessage
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Beeswax Boys, Beeswax Ken tongue
Pacem en Scrubbing! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxbill

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 am

Dark rims don't really bother me. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might use some saliva and a paper towel occasionally, but not often. I may be strange, but I like the "look" of a well used pipe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:31 am

pipetongue1 wrote:
Beeswax Boys, Beeswax Ken tongue
Pacem en Scrubbing! tongue

Care to further explain?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:54 am

I HATE IT!!! I try to be extra careful lighting as not to actually burn ar char the wood. The tar buildup can be easily cleaned but the burning canīt. One of my Dunhill estates is so charred that the inner rim is round!! I just canīt seem to enjoy smoking that one as much (awesome smoker BTW) because I just end up fixating on the unsightly rim. Ok, Iīm obsessive.... bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:10 am

Somehow carbon buildup morphed into charred wood and rim radiusing...

The poll needs to make the distinction.

Carbon buildup is honest use and good.

Burned wood is abuse. It is BAD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 am

I find that spit on a microfiber cloth works wonders to remove any smoke residue. Also removes the wax so a turn on my carnuba wheel is required on an occasional basis. Only loading the bowl 2/3 to 3/4 prevents (hopefully) any outright scorching.

I remember my pipe-smoking mentors with tobacco literally falling out of the top of the bowl they stuffed it so full, ensuring that the rim of the bowl was severely charred and burned.

Last edited by Hunter5117 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm

LL has summed it up...... burnt wood is bad!
PB...... well done mate........ the chirp on ...... "giving mine a lick from time to time"...... was the best I have seen on BOB, I am laughing so loud I almost dropped my pipe!
....... and yes, occasionally I lick mine too.......hmmm keeps it nice and clean!
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Voted not, but really it depends on the pipe. If it is a pipe I purchased new and paid a decent chunk of change for, or was really proud of because of how shiny and sexy it was, then a bit of rim darkening would definately bother me and actual charring might cause me to lose sleep.

On the other hand, if it was a really old estate, I actually want the wear and tear and all the signs of abuse. I have a 1920s BBB bulldog and one of the best things about it is imagining all the things that pipe has been through over the years on it's way to me. Looking at all those scars and dings and such as I smoke it actually help bring those ghosts to life a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grayhackel

Registration date : 2010-01-07

PostSubject: Subject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Rim darkening doesn't bother me although I try to avoid doing it myself. Burned and encrusted rims do bother me and I've passed on Ebay pipes myself because of them. However hard I try to avoid doing it myself, however, I have several pipes that have seriously darkened rims. Most, but not all of them are old pipes and it may have been my youthful enthusiasm or negligence. I've concluded however, that some pipes are just meant to have darkened rims whatever I do. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this. I've got an Upshalls, a Comoy and a Le Nuvole with darkened rims and I have been careful. Not sure if the source of the briar plays a role or how they are finished.

I now wipe the rim when I clean a pipe but havent tried beeswax. I'd be interested in how others clean or try to clean rims that have already darkened as opposed to how to prevent it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:55 am

I like the patina that results from 'rim darkening'. While I try to keep tar from building, I think it is part of the pipe. By allowing the pipe to build a patina, I am in fact helping it to achieve its destiny! To clean, I run the rim with my just-licked thumb. The tar residue comes right off. For a rusticated or blasted rim, use a toothbrush.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:52 pm

No matter what I do I'm always getting rim darkening. I'm very mindful of it and the three best tips I've seen are hold the pipe level, spit & don't fill all the way. I'm still getting rim darkening no matter how careful I am. I can only smoke outside...is it inevitable or is there something I can do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
No matter what I do I'm always getting rim darkening. I'm very mindful of it and the three best tips I've seen are hold the pipe level, spit & don't fill all the way. I'm still getting rim darkening no matter how careful I am. I can only smoke outside...is it inevitable or is there something I can do?

Yep! Don't smoke your pipes !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Just keep 'em in the rack and don't BURN any of the evil weed or apply any FIRE to it !! Really! If you don't want any rim darkening, DON'T apply any FIRE to ANY tobacco in the bowl and .BURN ANYTHING in the pipe !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Don't be a SMOKER, just COLLECT  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:07 pm

I don't know a lot of people in this thread seem to be able to avoid it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Rim darkening doesn't bother me on the pipes I smoke daily but I have a couple older pipes where it would be nice to keep them looking fresh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:57 am

What is this rim darkening you speak of? I have never had any such problems with any of my pipes, and I never leave any dottle, just pure beautiful unadulterated white ash! In fact, the spell checker here won't even recognize the word "dottle," when I am typing a response.

Some folks, if you give them an anvil, you turn around and they hand you a sack of BB's with a hole in the sack! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 am

Anything I have smoked for a while has "rim cake." I figure it protects the wood from the sole of my shoe when I knock out ashes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Doesn't bug me too much. I only have one estate pipe, and it's a dark stained one. I don't collect them for visual enjoyment. Personally, I smoke the hell out of my pipes. I've worn out a good number in the last 15 years or so. The rims get dark no matter what. And unless it's a pipe for leisurely smoking at while sitting, mine are charred a bit. It happens when I light them while driving or working or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Doesn't bug me too much. I only have one estate pipe, and it's a dark stained one. I don't collect them for visual enjoyment. Personally, I smoke the hell out of my pipes. I've worn out a good number in the last 15 years or so. The rims get dark no matter what. And unless it's a pipe for leisurely smoking at while sitting, mine are charred a bit. It happens when I light them while driving or working or something.

Amen Brother! Preach it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:26 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:

Amen Brother! Preach it!

Yes this.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 pm

"Rim darkening" means ones a SMOKER, no darkening and just a collector or VERY OCD cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Yep I figure any pipe I smoke will eventually have some carbon and oil build up on the rim, I clean it off. Problem, if it is one really, solved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:53 pm

The Walking Thread... Laughing

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:13 am

Bugs the ever liven hell out of me and won't have any of it.
Yes I'm anal but, twenty years from now ALL my pipes will look pretty much the way they did when first bought, like brand new.
So bite me Monbla!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:21 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Bugs the ever liven hell out of me and won't have any of it.
Yes I'm anal but, twenty years from now ALL my pipes will look pretty much the way they did when first bought, like brand new.

Truth be told you're the kind of guy we'd all like to get a used pipe from! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stapf

Registration date : 2014-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 am

No. I'm not able to prevent it, so I don't mind it when buying. I'm getting a discount for something I'll end up doint anyway. That said I have a comissioned pipe in the works that I'll be making every effor to prevent rim darkening or any othe issues with. I will at best probably only delay the inevitable though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rim Darkening!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: