HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:09 am

Greetings Brothers!

Residing in South Africa, many of you have been asking me about JAN PIETENPAUW PIPES. Indeed, they are worth seeing. Master Jan or Oubaas (old boss) as we call him is one of the most generous brilliant guys to hit planet earth. His pipes are fantastic and finally he is receiving the international recognition he so deserves.
There is much to tell about the old guy but I will allow you to investigate this for yourself when visiting his website.

How blessed I am to be a pipe smoker. Today I was summoned to the old man's workshop. He has just gifted me on of many Poy's he has been commissioned to make. The reason for his "madness" is that he claims he might have tunnel vision and wanted an honest opinion on how they smoke. Well, Oubaas and I have been friends for a long time, as a matter of fact everything I have learnt about pipe mechanics I learnt from him. Now, I own many of his pipes, from early proto types to some real fancy stuff, including the pick axe on his logo . Stating that they smoke well would be a lie...... they are just bloody fantastic and the POY I received today is just as good if not better.

Besides being the best pipe maker in South Africa, and I say this with confidence, the Oubaas is a real nice guy. He has a deep passion for the briar pipe and always willing to share trade secrets. Nothing ever gets him down and his personality is warm and friendly. He is best summed up when smoking one of his pipes because when you smoke a Pietenpauw he shares his generous friendship and warm personality with you.

Oubaas JAN PIETENPAUW.... the Brothers of Briar Salute you as a master craftsman and a hell of a nice guy!

Pleas[b]e visit: www.pietenpauw.co.za [/b]

You will be pleasantly surprised to see what comes out of deep dark Africa. I have not posted any pictures here as there is to much to show. It would be better for you Gents to go see for yourselves!

Thanks for your time Gents!
Happy smoking

Regards
Piet Binsbergen

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Number of posts: 3794
Tobacco: GH Flakes
Pipe: Gregor Lobnik
Registration date: 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:24 am

Just reading his site, he seems like a fine carver and a gracious fellow as well.

Have you smoked one of his African Blackwood pipes? If so, how do they smoke? Always curious about non-briarwood pipes.

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 am

Hey DOC

Yes I have, They are great! You will see a couple in his gallery. There is alot of interest in his Blackwood creations!
thanks for your interest Doc.!

Regards

Piet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 am

Some nice pieces in the gallery, looks like a carver to watch.
Your very fortunate to know him so well, and get to be his pipe tester.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for stopping by EJinVA
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

Number of posts: 1945
Registration date: 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Piet,

Thanks for the info!!! Gorgeous pipes!! If I ever get back to Jo'berg, I must link up with you, Muddler, and go visit Jan!!!!!!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm

FTRPLT!

always welcome here in S.A. my friend! Imagine that....... it would be fantastic! Be sure to look us up if you are ever round our neck of the woods!
Back to top Go down
phillpsych

Number of posts: 88
Tobacco: Blends by Mr. Steve Books, House of Calabash, Oregon.
Pipe: Kaywoodie, Stanwell and Savinelli are my favorites, but I own some fancy ones too... Charatan, Dunhill, Castello...etc.
Registration date: 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Piet;
Thanks for sharing this info. The website is nice and the pipes are beautiful. Hopefully someday, I will smoke one. In the meantime, Happy Puffing.
Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Phillipsych.......
Thanks for stopping by and welcome to the brotherhood my man! bounce
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke

Number of posts: 7941
Location: Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Tobacco: John Middleton Walnut, Prince Albert, GLP Cumberland, C&D Exhausted Rooster , add Carter Hall to the mix, as well as Perfection Plug Burley
Pipe: Brissetts, Kaywoodies
Registration date: 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Wow! Piet. Those are some fantastic looking pipes that your friend carves!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

I too look forward to possibly visiting there and maybe getting together with the brothers over there. Hopefully when my son goes back to SA I will get to visit at some time. The last time he was there, he was in Nelspruit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 am

Justpipes...
we are in Pretoria, about an hour and a half away.......... when in SA, a brother of the walnut fine leaf is a brother of mine! consider yourself well connected here my friend!
Thanks for stopping by!
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Number of posts: 5309
Registration date: 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 am

Wow! I especially like the "Africana" pipe1010!

As an incidental note, the music chosen for the YouTube Bing video caught me by surprise! It's a tune by Domenico Scarlatti and I was just practicing a set of variations on this theme a few days ago on trumpet.....I had never heard the original version on harpsichord, hahaha.

Class act bro! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Number of posts: 2665
Tobacco: Dark Flake, 1792, Cumberland, Nightcap
Pipe: cobs, wire-brush rusticated Jobey, Milville Dublin (my best smoker), tortoise-stained GBD billiard with white acrylic stem, AeroBilliard, taharris stubby smooth Dublin, lots of cobs, blasted Savinelli Autograph
Registration date: 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:10 pm

I'm going to get one of those African Blackwood pipes!!! And some of his blasts rival the Americans, who in my opinion are the best blasters in the world!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dakki

Number of posts: 58
Tobacco: Currently Peterson Irish Whiskey, but still looking...
Pipe: Peterson System De Luxe with Sterling Silver (999) (P-Lip) (1999)
Registration date: 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Linking those blackwood pipes as well.

How do they perform compared to briar?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
acaciavet

Number of posts: 77
Tobacco: MCclelland, C&D, Stokebee My gavvorite OTC PA,Granger and Carter Hall. Best Navy Flake Gawaith.
Pipe: My First Love are Charatans,Second are Custom-bilts.If Aint 40years or older I probably dont own one.
Registration date: 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa   Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:05 pm

I also post on Pipe Chat and Jean did our POY last year as well as this year .This guy makes a Pipe that will make a Dunhill cry. I have a great Poker enroute as we speak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jan Pietenpauw pipes - hand made in South Africa

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next