HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Today I spoke with a powerful source in the world of pipe tobacco who shall remain nameless. I was inquiring to him weather or not I should invest very heavily in pipe tobacco to further expand my cellar in the face of the possible tobacco tax increase. He said that this bill in his opinion won't pass easily if at all and that we have a good bit of time before it ever could. His advice to me and everyone was to "relax"a bit. There's a poweful lobbyist and some deep pocketed folks working on our side. If worse came to worse we'd be talking about an extra $5.00 on a $10.00 tin. Unless you smoke an ungodly amount of tobacco or are destitute in a most serious way it won't affect you greatly anyway.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:37 pm

DPG.....I sure hope you meant 50 cents on a $10.00 tin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Now you tell me after I spent nearly a grand on cellar expansion.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Carlos wrote:

I was ready to do the exact the same thing today Laughing Too funny! I very well might still do it but we've got some time yet...
Back to top Go down
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 pm

ftrplt wrote:
DPG.....I sure hope you meant 50 cents on a $10.00 tin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

It would amount to about $5.00 on a $10.00 tin as I understand it but that's an absolute worse case scenario.
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
Carlos wrote:

I was ready to do the exact the same thing today Laughing Too funny! I very well might still do it but we've got some time yet...

Aw well. I saved a few bucks. Very Happy

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:47 pm

$5.00 is peanuts

I just looked up the Alberta taxes and it is as follows;

50g tin ... $23.04
2oz tin ... $28.08
1 lb ... $171.45

Then there's the cost of the tobacco
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickf28

Registration date : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 am

Carlos wrote:

It is still money well spent.....Tobacco will only go up....never down....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoked

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 am

Hey SlowPuffs,

I paid $39 for a tin of Club Blend. But you're right - $25 for 50gr is about normal in Ontario too. When I order from the US I save 4x on some tobaccos. Even if I get tagged at customs I still save 2x at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 am

The way I see it, it doesn't hurt to stock up now. The tobacco is only going to get better, or at least not worse, as it ages. As prices and taxes naturally go up over time, I can't see how it's a bad investment.

Now, there's a difference between prudently stocking up and panic buying. I like to think my behavior falls somewhere in between, but closer to the former.

But hey, by all means leave some good stuff in stock for me!

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:08 pm

stoked wrote:
Hey SlowPuffs,

I paid $39 for a tin of Club Blend. But you're right - $25 for 50gr is about normal in Ontario too. When I order from the US I save 4x on some tobaccos. Even if I get tagged at customs I still save 2x at least.

Alberta has one of the highest baccy taxes... however, I looked up 100gr for Ontario, its 12.35 now but will be 23.89 beginning July 1, 2010...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
It would amount to about $5.00 on a $10.00 tin as I understand it but that's an absolute worse case scenario.
That would be a 50% increase in the price! That's a significant increase by any measure. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Quote :
1 lb ... $171.45
I've been in Burlington on Whyte when someone has bought a pound of tobacco from Chris...it's damn cool. But then he gets to the register and... Shocked

I've also seen a guy buy a box of La Aurora something-or-other for 500ish bucks. I almost died. I wish I could afford to smoke that much!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Its an interesting concept actually..

Slowly add tax until only the wealthy can afford it... Then use the justification that its a wealthy mans hobby and they can afford higher taxation..

IF you take ALL the taxes off a tin of tobacco the actual cost of a Pease tin is probably less than $1. The Government taxes the property its grown on, taxes the seed, taxes the fuel and the vehicle used to go secure the seed, taxes the fertilizer, taxes the fuel and vehicle used to go secure the fertilizer, taxes the tractor, the fuel used in the tractor, taxes the labor used to harvest the tobacco, taxes the axes and poles used to harvest the tobacco, taxes the barn the tobacco is hung in, taxes the baler and the baling chord used to bale the tobacco, taxes the vehicle and fuel used to carry said tobacco to sale, taxes the sale of the tobacco to the blender.. And on and frikkin on..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:09 pm

PB builds a darn fine picture of tax reality!! And now the idiots in DC are thinking about a "value" added tax on top of all the other taxes!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm

I don't understand the need for all these taxes, apparent in last years bank bailout the government can print all the money in needs. If the cost of tobacco gets to high we can always go over to Docks place for a smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
................ If worse came to worse we'd be talking about an extra $5.00 on a $10.00 tin. Unless you smoke an ungodly amount of tobacco or are destitute in a most serious way it won't affect you greatly anyway.....
A $5.00 hit on a $10.00 tin is still a pretty good hit IMHO. From what people who own shops here in Arizona have told me, the "hit" on bulk will be in the neighborhood of $25 a pound (the average cost of a pound of pipe tobacco runs around $32). So $57 a pound for what I currently pay $32 for. Another good hit IMHO. I hope you are right Dock and we win out on this one. I'm not destitute "yet", but this sure won't help matters any with everything else that is hitting me with todays economy. I was afraid this was going to rear its ugly head when a lot of the RYO tobacco blenders recut their tobacco and labeled it pipe tobacco. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:58 am

While I am not in a "panic" mode, I am increasing the ol' cellar. At my tender age, 63 1/2, and smoking rate; I may have enough to get me to the crematorium!!! But I just put up another 11 pint jars of fine tobacco and have a list for more. Same for cigars!! Better safe than sorry. I just find the whole thing rediculous!!! No way did I ever imagine in the '60's that today I would not be able to walk into a nice B&M to pick up a tin of Dunhill Standard Full or BS 759!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:48 pm

ftrplt wrote:
...may have enough to get me to the crematorium!!!
When I get there, all my unsmoked baccy will pe placed in the casket alongside with my body. It will be the ultimate smoke! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
ftrplt wrote:
...may have enough to get me to the crematorium!!!
When I get there, all my unsmoked baccy will pe placed in the casket alongside with my body. It will be the ultimate smoke! Very Happy

Great idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoked

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
stoked wrote:
Hey SlowPuffs,

Alberta has one of the highest baccy taxes... however, I looked up 100gr for Ontario, its 12.35 now but will be 23.89 beginning July 1, 2010...

Are you kidding me? My heart just sunk. WTF! Ontario is f@#ked! Not only do I have to be a second class citizen because I'm a smoker, but I also get robbed for the pleasure - and pay the salaries for all those politicians who keep passing anti-smoking laws - and pay the hospital bills so all those PC dicks who look down their noses at smokers can live longer. I guess I'll just bend over and lube up right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:34 pm

stoked wrote:
Slow Puffs wrote:
stoked wrote:
Hey SlowPuffs,

Are you kidding me? My heart just sunk. WTF! Ontario is f@#ked! Not only do I have to be a second class citizen because I'm a smoker, but I also get robbed for the pleasure - and pay the salaries for all those politicians who keep passing anti-smoking laws - and pay the hospital bills so all those PC dicks who look down their noses at smokers can live longer. I guess I'll just bend over and lube up right now.

Here is a link to Eric Melby's blog/site "links"... go down to Miscellaneous and click on Canada Tobacco Tax Calculator:

http://homepage.mac.com/ericmelby/Pipes/links.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 pm

I don't know about in Canada but here in the states, this crap is going to continue as long as our citizens allow it. Obviously, based on this past election cycle it is what they wanted. Stop blaiming the government and start educating your neighbors or take a look at yourself. Who did you vote for? Did you take the time to do the research on their past record? If you don't want to pay more taxes quit voting for candidates that you know are going to do everything they can to raise taxes! Otherwise.........well, you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 pm

$5.00 a tin equals 8 X $5.00 = $40.00 a pound...

You're catching up to us

The problem is that when taxes reach that level, it's a lot easier to add $2 or $3 dollars every so often over the next few years until the 'fight goes out of ya'...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stoked

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"   Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Justpipes wrote:
I don't know about in Canada but here in the states, this crap is going to continue as long as our citizens allow it. Obviously, based on this past election cycle it is what they wanted. Stop blaiming the government and start educating your neighbors or take a look at yourself. Who did you vote for? Did you take the time to do the research on their past record? If you don't want to pay more taxes quit voting for candidates that you know are going to do everything they can to raise taxes! Otherwise.........well, you know.

Problem here in Canada is that there isn't a serious candidate who doesn't support the smoking bans/taxation. Anti-smoking movement is so strong and ingrained that it is supported be all parties.

I wonder if I could buy a native status card on the black market and go live on the reservation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tobacco Taxes.... "RELAX Folks"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next