HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?   Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm

My feeling is that you can not.
You know what you like, and the seller knows what they have got.
Maybe you are more likely to find something that you like at a show but more than likely you will pay top dollar.
The DPG touched on this in an earlier thread about cars, but do exhibitors at shows want to give you a great deal on that great Dunhill that you have been admiring? They want to make a buck and you want to save a buck.
I will probably go to the St Louis pipe show in a couple of weeks, and I would like some pointers in the art of negotiating for a pipe.
Thanks,
Bub
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?   Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Bub wrote:
You know what you like, and the seller knows what they have got.
Maybe you are more likely to find something that you like at a show but more than likely you will pay top dollar.
The DPG touched on this in an earlier thread about cars, but do exhibitors at shows want to give you a great deal on that great Dunhill that you have been admiring? They want to make a buck and you want to save a buck.
I will probably go to the St Louis pipe show in a couple of weeks, and I would like some pointers in the art of negotiating for a pipe.
Thanks,
Bub

You have to be like DPG and buy up everything in the hotel rooms the night before in order to get the best deals! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?   Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Bub wrote:

That hasn't been my experience at all.

Ebay has really taken a bite out of the merchandise turnover at shows, and the people who bring stuff to sell are prepared to deal.

There will always be a few Bo Nautili under glass to be admired that are technically for sale (and which will leave with their original owner 99% of the time), but rank-and-file pipes sell for the going rate or a little less from what I've seen.

Definitely go a day early, though. Half or more of all transactions occur before the official start of the show. Look for notes in the elevators to learn which rooms have merch displays, bring cash, and don't mess about when you find a pipe you like. Once you set it down, it's back in play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?   Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Wanna know a secret? There are truly great deals to be found at pipe shows. Wanna know who gets to take advantage of these deals? Other vendors/collectors and the few lucky souls who know the vendors. These folks are in the room looong before the doors ever open to the public. If a show begins at 10:00 am you can bet that there's folks there by 7:00 am and sometimes earlier.

Average show attendees have NO idea how much wheeling and dealing has gone on before they ever enter that room! It's why one has to do the proper networking to be considered an insider and thus elegible for these "honors and benefits"
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?   Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 am

While I am looking forward to my first pipe show, I have to assume that they work like other collectible shows I have been too, books, comics, antiques etc.

In all those shows there is a bit of trading before the show between exhibitors, in large part because once the show starts they don't get much of a chance to "shop" the show. Hopefully they are too busy to leave their table. And yes they generally allow a "professional" discount.

Secondly, most dealers in used goods are prepared to deal on any items bought in groupings. this will be more pronounced in items that have not been moving, maybe secondary names, or items that have to be seen to be appreciated.

Thirdly, a lot of exhibitors have "show specials", which may vary in savings, and can be anything from tobacco , pipes, or cleaners.

Finally there is the end of the show phenomena, especially if it has been a bit slow for the vendor, yeah I will drop the price a bit so I don't have to pack it up and take it home.

Are you going to pick up a Dunhill for $25.00? Not a chance. Get a nice Hardcastle at a decent price, quite possibly. Pick up tins of Balkan Sobranie for $15, NOT. Get to try the newest C&D and Altadis blends (among others), and possibly find some sweet deals on samples or special pricing on a selection, yeah.

The "deals" will probably be on those things the dealers haven't been able to move in their stores (b&m or e-stores), or those that they got a break on buying for the purpose of the show. That doesn't make any less a deal. And you might score a nice handmade pipe from a carver who hasn't made a name yet, and therefor can't charge what his pipes will bring in a few years.

And you are going to meet a lot of people and businesses that have previously just been names or websites, and have a lot of fun.

Al (in Canada) cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Can you get a good/great deal at a pipe show?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: