HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Frost

Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe Empty
PostSubject: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Didn't see this blend reviewed elsewhere on this forum so I though i would give it a first impression review since I cracked a tin today. Haven't reviewed anything before and I am feeling extra wordy so brace yourselves, here goes:

Today I was feeling adventurous, so I forced myself away from Escudo long enough to crack a tin and make my first foray into the Lakeland realm with a bowl of SG's Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake in a Sav Giotto billiard. It was a nice little trip.

'Twas quite the yummy smoke. Sweet, smooth and creamy, with whatever that extra quirky smelly/tasty flavoring is that I really have no hope of describing accurately. I can say that it compliments the tobacco flavors most excellently while providing a pleasing aroma and taste, periodically pulling your interest from the tobacco flavors to think to yourself "what the hell is that?".

Packed and lit well, let it dry on a paper towel for about 15 minutes before I left in the morning. Took two of the loose, thin flakes to fill up my pipe, basically rolled into loose-ish balls and rubbed just a teency bit before stuffing down the rabbit hole. The flavors, both tobacco and the enhancements, came pretty effortlessly and were not necesarilly what I would call "subtle". I had no trouble maintaining a slow, steady smoking pace. Pipe never got hot, tobacco smoked dry and every puff had flavor from beginning to end.

Smoked it in thirds througout this beutifull sunny day as is my custom and wont on the weekdays:

1st third: was on the drive to work after breakfast of oatmeal with dried cranberries, bluberries, muscle milk and a teaspoon of brown sugar. With a full belly the smoke was wonderfull, almost like an after breakfast dessert, or a second lighter breakfast. A chocolatey or sugary sweet smoke would have been too much, but this light, somewhat fruityish and creamy sweetness hit a spot I didn't know I had and topped off the flavors leftover from breakfast perfectly. Surprisingly though, it did not seem to go well with my coffee. The honey in the coffee sort of clashed with the topping flavor, so I let the coffee sit in the cup holder until I got to work. The tobacco seemed to provide enough nicotine that I was not craving a cigarette before walking in the door to work as I often do with blends lacking in the nicotine dept.

2nd third was on lunch break: A nice break from the day, however it did not go well with the hard boiled eggs sprinkled with salt that I had for lunch. The tobacco did not seem to loose anything at all over the few hours between start of the work day and lunch break. All flavors were still there and it behaved pretty much the same, lit easilly and stayed lit. The flavor was still good, but I found myself not able to appreciate it as much without the full belly from breakfast. Being hungry at lunch time, the flavors I was craving were not to be found in this particular pipe, but only in the refrigerator, Even though the smoke still tasted good, it did not satisfy. Lesson learned, don't smoke this when hungry.

3rd third on the drive home: Kept my belly full throughout the day by stuffing my face with one hand while typing, clicking, holding the phone and making obscene gestures with the other. Yogurt with granola, trail mix, bannana, grapes w/ cheese and crackers, a soft pretzel and a tastycake chocolate brownie all went down the hatch while giving the finger to my computer monitor and shufffling the endless piles of insurance claim paperwork representing great tragedy and catastrophic loss to the owners of the properties, and great frustration and anxiety to myself.

Thus fortified and satiated I was able to once again appreciate the flavors of this tobacco on the drive home as the flavors really became overt and assertive over the last 3rd of the bowl. The topping seemed to take over from the tobacco flavors a little bit, though avoided smashing them into oblivion. A pleasant, soothing and friendly smoke that seemed complex enough to keep me interested throughout the smoking sessions, but not so distracting as to have me drifting onto the wrong side of the road or running red lights.

I am excited to have another bowl tomorrow and see what other experiences this tobacco has to offer and how it behaves in different pipes.

Speaking of the pipe, it provides a nice segue into the following note on the room note (Jeep note in my case):

This particular Savinelli pipe was a Christmas gift from my wife and she requested that the only tobacco I should smoke in it is tobacco that she liked the smell of. In the case of Kendal Cream Flake, she found the smell in the tin, on my clothes and in the jeep to be very pleasant and so gave enthusiastic approval for the use of this tobacco in my/our pipe.

So, now that you have read all of that and still find yourself lacking any real idea of what this tobacco might taste like, I can only suggest that you obtain some and try it for yourself. I thought it quite good and will probably keep it on hand for regular smoking, assuming that future experiences with this tobacco bear any resemblance to this first impression.

Thanks for reading. If you made it this far, I applaud your patience and persistence.

-F
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 am

Great review. This one is always in my rotation. The "quirky" taste to my senses is lavender. Thanks for reviewing this.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 am

That was one helluva story Frost,,,how about coming back with your impressions of this tobacco after you've finished the tin,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
Frost

Frost

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Yep, will do.
Back to top Go down
Trout Bum

Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Great review Frost -- thanks for posting. Kendal Cream has been on my list for some time; perhaps it is time for a TAD attack!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Thanks for posting Frost! I had been working on a tin for a while and liked the flavor (and agree with your comments) but my tin had tough thick flakes that were difficult to work with. I couldn't rub them into a ball as I usually do with thick flakes nor could I cut them easily with a strong pair of scissors. After reading your post I unloaded the tin and found two thin flakes on the bottom that I'm smoking now. LOL I guess the others are going into the coffee grinder soon.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Frost

Frost

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Interesting. I found all the flakes in my tin to be somewhat flimsy and thin, very easy to manage. Guess I will have to get a few more tins to compare.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:43 pm

If you want to try some tough ones, PM me your mailing address and they'll be on the way soon.

Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for the review, this is one I've wanted to try for awhile.
I've noticed that with other Sam Gawith products sometimes there is a wide variety of cuts and moisture content within the same product line. I've ordered several pounds of FVF at a time and when Jarring them noticed the difference from one box to the next, the quality and flavor was still top notch just a difference in flake thickness, density & moisture. I'm guessing those old timey tobacco presses have alot of slop in them from years of use.
Back to top Go down
Frost

Frost

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:24 am

I thought I would re-visit this tonight, having at this point had the chance to smoke through a fair sampling of KCF and having gotten to know it somewhat over the course of the last couple of months.

I have smoked through a approx 2 1/2 tins of the stuff at this point, I am ready to set it aside for a while and move on to other things, so I figured it would be best to follow up before too much time has passed. There are really only a few things to add, but they may (or may not) be significant.

First, in reference to the variance in cut and flake thickness commented on previously by EJ & OD, the second tin did indeed have a few extremely thick and tough flakes in it, and the third was almost all thick flakes. These flakes were damn near impossible for me to prepare, pack or light without severe and violent flake mutilation. Chopping them up with a sharp knife into almost a cube cut seemed to yield satisfactory results. The thinner flakes can be rubbed out easilly, stuffed and puffed, folded or just simply wadded up in a ball and dropped in and will take a match easilly, and in my opinion provide a better smoke and flavor when you don't rub them out or mutilate them too much.

I have smoked this in several pipes: a sav giotto straight billiard, stanwell 191, 2 no name bent italian briars, a straight billiard no name italian, and a cob at least...may have been one or two more but if so they escape my memory at the moment. I found I enjoyed it best in the 191 and in the sav. The flavor came through best in the sav, however the savinelli has a fairly generous bowl and with a thickish slow burning flake, depending on pack and prep style it can take days to finish the dang thing. The 191 had a perfect bowl size and shape for it and the flavor came through well, although it did not seem as strong and "direct" as the sav. In the sav I found it was best either rubbed out, rolled & stuffed (thinnish flakes) or chopped up and stuffed a little on the looser side (thicker flakes).

As far as moisture level I smoked it every which way from dried until crispier than a KFC drumstick to fresh from a popped tin. I enjoyed it most when fresh from the tin with very little drying time (5-10 mins tops). It seems you can never quite get rid of that strange flavoring completely no matter how long you dry it out, but it does seem to become more of an aftertaste and less of a "foretaste" when dried for a while. I liked it better when it was strong and coming through well as opposed to just a subtle sort of aftertaste to the tobacco.

As to the taste itself, somewhere along the line I came to the conclusion that it reminds me of exactly one thing, and it is not any of the things I have heard others say it reminds them of. Being relatively new to the pipe, I am fairly certain that my tobacco taste buds are not nearly as refined as those of others so of course this should be kept in mind and YMMV and all the other usual disclaimers.

I have heard the flavoring called both floral and lavender. I do not really know what either of these things would taste like, so I can't really say yay or nay to either. What my brain associated the topping flavor of KCF with was the flavor of bubble gum. A seemingly strange thing to associate with tobacco, but that's what I got. I don't mean something like bubalicious or trident...not grapey or fruity or minty. I mean that hard, chewy pink stuff that is usuall wrapped in wax paper and sold out of a plastic bucket for a dime or a quarter in the concession stand at little league games, and really has no name for it's flavor other than pink gum flavor, to my knowledge.

The topping flavor isn't like the gum flavor when you first start chewing it (chewing the gum, not the tobacco obviously), but more like after you have chewed it for at least 10 minutes and almost all the initial juicyness is gone from the gum and you are left with a wad of rubbery stuff that hurts your jaws because it is so hard to chew and really has no flavor left that you can put your name to, but nonetheless has a definite and identifiable taste of it's own even though you are not entirely sure whether it actually tastes good or not, yet still you keep on chewing away because for some reason that perhaps lies beyond any hope of accurate expression you like it. That is what I taste when I smoke KCF.

It is not the kind of flavor that is something I necesarilly crave at any given time, nor is it a flavor that is always welcome, familiar or approachable. There are times where it just is most definately NOT what I want to be tasting at that moment. On the other hand, there are also definately times where it is an excellent change of pace and a pleasantly interesting departure from the norm. I can't really predict or give any guidelines as to when it is good or when it isn't, other than the fact that I know that I can't really enjoy it at all when I am hungry, as I indicated in the inital impression post and confirmed more than once over the last couple months.

One other positive thing is that the tobaco flavor is never quite dominated by the topping, and seems to have a very good burley flavor to it. There are times when the flavoring seems to be an unwelcome intrusion on the good tobacco flavor, but other times where it complements the actual tobacco flavor very well.

I guess all in all, it is a once in a while tobacco for me. When it is on, it is a unique and interesting (to me) smoking experience and a very pleasant divergance from what I am used to and familiar with, but if I am not quite in the mood or if it just isn't the right time it can be a chore to finish a bowl.

I hereby deem it a tobacco worthy of my time and investigation, and one of which I will most likely keep a tin or two lying around for the occasional smoking adventure. I also hereby deem that it is not one I want to spend too much time and money accumulating mass quantities of as there are other tobaccos which I find much more reliable, approachable and just simply gooder tasting.

If there is any specific important information that I have neglected to include between my initial review and this update, feel free to post the question here and I will give my input if I have any, which I usually do even when I don't.
Back to top Go down
fishnrust

fishnrust

Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe   First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe EmptyTue May 18, 2010 11:27 pm

I like this blend. Recently purchase 2#'s of it. Each box contained approx 2/3 extremely thick cuts, and 1/3 very thin cuts. The thin cuts are wonderful, easy to light and deliver the flavor nicer than the thick. I hope it ages well.
Back to top Go down

First Impressions - Kendal Cream Flake Deluxe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: