HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Hermit wrote:
Me & Bobby

Really like that tie Hermit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
JP, he's a fellow alumnus--the address was amazingly non-political, more reminiscing about family and college days. (He went to SLC to study ballet... talk about an easy target for jokes.)

But he is still very much the slick politician. When Rahm shakes your hand, you count your fingers when you get it back.

Literally right!
lol!
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:56 pm

mark wrote:
Worked as a volunteer roadie once unloading The James Gang semis and had a great talk with Joe Walsh

Any Hams (amateur radio) in the group. Joe Walsh is supposed to be a regular on the airwaves but I don't do enough HF to try and find him? He has shopped at my local radio store in KC but never when I was there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:26 pm

NASCAR is big around these parts, so I've met a few drivers over the years. Don't know if they're considered celebs though. I also met Hank Williams and Charlie Daniels (the fiddle king) back in the 80's. Down to earth guys that never got too big for their britches, unlike most celebs today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm

While I was doing radio news, I got to meet and interview quite a few, mainly in the political realm but some entertainers.

My favorite: Roy Rogers.

Other favorites: Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) and Walter Cronkite.

I sat at a dinner table once, at a benefit dinner/auction, with Boomer Esiason. Very pleasant guy, actually.

My wife and I had a nice chat with Jay Leno in a hotel lobby in Knoxville. This was back in the 80s. He was in town to do a show, and the radio station I worked at was doing some sort of event at the hotel. We walked from the hotel to the auditorium with him, talking mainly about motorcycles.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hammer8

Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:00 pm

I met Bobby Allison and Harry Gant on the same day at Pocono Raceway quite a few years ago. I think it was the year after Harry retired from NASCAR.

Talked for quite a while 30 min. or so with the Teutuls (Paul Sr. & Jr.) at Daytona Bike Week. It was the year that American Choppers first aired on TV and we went into their tent to get out of the rain. The following year to even see them, people waited in line for hours.

Probably the most unusual meeting I had was when I lived in PA and Roger Waters from Pink Floyd came into a tavern I frequented. It seems he was on his way to NYC and missed his exit, so he came in to get directions, and ended up staying most of the afternoon well into the evening. He didn't sing or play any songs, but did some original drawings on paper place mats for the owner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:35 pm

I only meet drunks!! Very Happy tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Hammer8 wrote:
I met Bobby Allison and Harry Gant on the same day at Pocono Raceway quite a few years ago. I think it was the year after Harry retired from NASCAR.

Talked for quite a while 30 min. or so with the Teutuls (Paul Sr. & Jr.) at Daytona Bike Week. It was the year that American Choppers first aired on TV and we went into their tent to get out of the rain. The following year to even see them, people waited in line for hours.

Probably the most unusual meeting I had was when I lived in PA and Roger Waters from Pink Floyd came into a tavern I frequented. It seems he was on his way to NYC and missed his exit, so he came in to get directions, and ended up staying most of the afternoon well into the evening. He didn't sing or play any songs, but did some original drawings on paper place mats for the owner.

HOLY CRAP! Harry Gant!!!!!!!!! My childhood hero! He's an amazing man! After a win he'd go right on back to building houses! I'd give my right hand to get the chance to shake his!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 pm

pipetongue1 wrote:

Hiccup!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 pm

pipetongue1 wrote:

That reminds me, I once ran into Tennessee Williams
coming out of Marty's in New Orleans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 am

This is going back a ways but I once spent about an hour talking with Paul Stookey, Peter Yarrow and Mary Travers aka Peter, Paul and Mary. Very nice folks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
My mother's an established (but strictly midlist) science fiction & fantasy author; consquently I've met and dined/hung out with some big authorial names within the genre. Most just to shake hands or exchange a few words, but all quite nice.

I had dinner with Terry Pratchett once... wonderful and gracious fellow.

Those of you Civil War buffs may appreciate this one: I've spent lots of time with Harry Turtledove. Our families went to Knotts Berry Farm together.

Pratchett and Turtledove, two of my favorite authors. Never met either of them, but I love their books.

Never met any celebrities, per se, but I've served with a couple of holders of the Distinguished Service Cross and the Silver Star. They're the real celebrities in my eyes.
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Here's a few off-the-wall I've met that you may or may not have heard of depending on where you're from. Lester Maddox, "Fats" Everette, Bill Boner, Grandpa and Ramona Jones, Bashful Brother Oswald, and Buck Belue. And a few you've probably heard of - Bill Clinton (before he was elected gov. of AR), Wilbur Mills, Roger Miller, Chet Atkins, Eddie Arnold, Minnie Pearl, and Nature Boy (R. Flair) to name a few.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
My mother's an established (but strictly midlist) science fiction & fantasy author; consquently I've met and dined/hung out with some big authorial names within the genre. Most just to shake hands or exchange a few words, but all quite nice.

Doc, you reminded me that when I was a teenager I went to a couple of Sci-fi World-Cons. Surprising who you can sit down and chat with in the hotel coffee shop at 4:30am. Also pretty surprising the conversations you may have. Anyways, I guess I could add a couple of well-known authors to the list. Frank Herbert, Harlan Ellison (he was a pipe smoker and not very tall, his pipe only came up to mid-chest level on me), Bob Silverberg, and Isaac Asimov but only in passing. That was the year when Asimov and Ellison had their "F--- You!!" dialog across the ballroom during one of the discussion periods. Good times!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxbill

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I played high school basketball against Kareem Abdul Jabar when he was still Lew Alcindor. I met most of the old Yankees... Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra etc when I worked at Yankee Stadium before I went into the Marine Corps. Met Jimmi Hendrik at a small club in Greenwich Village before he became really famous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

bronxbill wrote:
I played high school basketball against Kareem Abdul Jabar when he was still Lew Alcindor. I met most of the old Yankees... Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra etc when I worked at Yankee Stadium before I went into the Marine Corps. Met Jimmi Hendrik at a small club in Greenwich Village before he became really famous.

Can I shake your hand at the TAPS Show? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Met a few when I was living in Sonoma, CA but really only meet and greet kind of things. Robin Williams, Smothers brothers... Saw Christy Brinkley but never talked to her.

My favorite celebrity meeting was Rainn Wilson. I met him at a small family gathering in Seattle. He's my ex girlfriend's cousin. At the time he had only did a few minor acting roles and when they told me he was an actor I thought to myself, "Good luck with that dude.". A few years later and he's gotten so famous that we have more than a couple his bobble heads sitting in cubicles at my office. Guess I was way wrong on that prediction. Laughing

Oh, and I have Ron Jeremy's autograph being he was mentioned. Very Happy

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 pm

I remember as a kid at least 45+ years ago my Dad and I went to a Sears in Orange County California and in walked John Wayne. Man he was a big Man and very nice. My son and I have also met Mohamed Ali at a Phoenix Suns basketball game. As a flight mechanic in 1980 the company I flew with took George Bush Sr. all over the country when he was running against Ronald Regan in the primaries. Spent about a month and a half on that trip. I keep an autographed picture of he and his wife along with the flight crew in my home office.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:26 pm

I met Trace Bundy a couple times, such that he remembers my name when I go to his shows...if that counts.

LoL.

I also met George Bush Sr. back when he was campaigning. And my dad and uncle Tom both know Allison Krauss (my uncle used to play in a band with her years ago), but I've never met her.

....That's pretty much it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Ol'Dawg wrote:
Bill Clinton (before he was elected gov. of AR), and Nature Boy (R. Flair) to name a few.

Jim

forgot about that... I WORKED for Slick Willie...lol.. Drove one of his trucks.. And I didn't know we were counting Wrestlers.. Met Rick and his boy at Have-a-nice-day Cafe here in Da Ville... Met Hillbilly Jim in Barbourville, Ky.. Watched the Road Warriors get out of a car that was driven by Arn Anderson with Ole riding shotgun.. They proceded to 'beat the crap out of each other' that night...lol..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Nelson Mandela and Arch-bishop Desmond Tutu.
Back to top Go down

Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2