HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jordies

Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Wooooo wee.

I've been frequenting this site for the past couple of years, yet have never gotten around to signing up.
I am now 25. I have been interested in pipes and tobacco since I was about 13 or 14. My father used to smoke his pipes while working on croquet mallets out in our garage. All of his pipes were knock around pipes. It wasn't unusual for there to be specks of epoxy littered around his beaten briars. He only smoked Balkan Sobranie, the original mixture I suppose. I don't recall what the container looked like for he always transferred it to a copper tobac humidor.
Anyway, I would always fixate on his pipes, tampers, and tobacco. After much begging and pleading he would occasionally allow me to load his pipes for him. I recall cramming as much tobacco as I physically could into the chamber with the hope that he would have to smoke it that much longer. Didn't work, nope.
My grandfather also smoked pipes for years and years. He started smoking cigars around the time that I was born. He stashed all of his burnt-out old pipes in a drawer of an antique wooden hardware chest. I would spend hours drooling over these pieces of charcoal.
By the time I was 15, my father had also moved on to smoking cigars. His pipes were mine. Some of his pipes were pretty nice still, especially a really nice Savinelli full bent. He also had a really nice Andrew Marks. It slipped through my butterfingers when I was about 9, busted in two right next to his drill press. As I mentioned, my father no longer smokes pipe. However, two years ago, I sent the pieces of this broken pipe back to Andrew Marks, and he duplicated the pipe for me. Merry Christmas Pops.
My grandfather allowed me to take two of his pipes, both bulldogs. One was a Savinelli, and the other was marked Old Pal. Out of all of his pipes, about 20, these had the nicest grain, and were smoked the least. They are both in the hands of George Dibos at www.precisionpiperepair.com. Very exciting.
As of late, I have successfully spent the majority of my spendable US currency on bike components and tobacco. With the rest of my spendable $ (loans = bad) I will be attending graduate school, and earning a wilderness EMT certification.

Sooo... Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Welcome aboard Jordies! Great to have you here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 pm

A big howdy and welcome to BoB!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:54 am

A great intro! Welcome to the BoB! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
LtMac

Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:31 am

Hello and welcome!

LtMac
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 am

Welcome to BoB! Enjoy yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Canvasback

Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:33 am

Welcome to the fold.

Rodney
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PegLegEd

Registration date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

Welcome to BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 am

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:58 pm

Welcome!

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 pm

Nice introduction. That's neat about your Dad's and Grandad's pipes. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GarWood

Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Greetings, earthling alien
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Hello and welcome aboard!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buddy Springman

Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Welcome to the group. My only familial memories of smoking are of cigs and cigars...my loss.

Keep posting!

Buddy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.   Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Welcome to BoB! I don't know where I'm going either, still just muddling along. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Don't know where I'm going, but I'm here.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: