HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Anybody buying an iPad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:46 am

I know there are at least a few of us Mac geeks here on BoB. Anyone spring for or planning to buy an iPad?

I think it might be a killer way to surf the web and read BoB while sitting outside enjoying a bowl. That's what I do with my iPhone now. If I get one I will definitely wait for the 3G version to be released later this month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:04 am

I don't like the idea of having to pay to use my existing unlimited surfing account for the iPhone. Charge me once and let me use both devices on the same account. If I ever require a netbook or laptop, I might consider it, but only as the wireless version. Not as a 3G unless AT&T changes things.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:05 am

Three things keep temptation at bay:

1. The Golden Apple Rule: Never buy version 1 of any Apple product.
2. I have a laptop, and have confirmed I have WiFi reception at my furthest outside property marker.
3. WSJ reports a CDMA (Verizon standard) iPhone is coming soon.

And one thing is even stronger than the worst temptation:
I have to buy a new fridge. Until the iPad keeps beer cold, that's priority #1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:44 am

Carlos wrote:
I don't like the idea of having to pay to use my existing unlimited surfing account for the iPhone. Charge me once and let me use both devices on the same account. If I ever require a netbook or laptop, I might consider it, but only as the wireless version. Not as a 3G unless AT&T changes things.

The only thing about the AT&T iPad plan is that for $15 a month you can use it when you want it and then turn it off when you don't. For me, the ability to have an emergency 3G access for a one-time $15 fee would be worth having that version of the device. For instance, I refuse to pay $10 per night in hotels where they still charge for internet (sometimes Priceline sticks me there), but for a 2 or 3 night stay I would turn on the 3G for the $15 cost and I'd have it for a month. Otherwise, it would be used on wifi all the rest of the time.

Carlos, If you have a 3g or 3gs iPhone, you can get a program that will let it serve as a wifi router, tethering your data plan to other wifi devices. Supposed to suck the battery down real bad though. The new version of the Palm Pre from Verizon does this too, although sounds like Verizon is dumping Palm. Basically turns them into a MiFi type of device.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:02 am

Hunter5117 wrote:
Carlos wrote:
I don't like the idea of having to pay to use my existing unlimited surfing account for the iPhone. Charge me once and let me use both devices on the same account. If I ever require a netbook or laptop, I might consider it, but only as the wireless version. Not as a 3G unless AT&T changes things.

The only thing about the AT&T iPad plan is that for $15 a month you can use it when you want it and then turn it off when you don't. For me, the ability to have an emergency 3G access for a one-time $15 fee would be worth having that version of the device. For instance, I refuse to pay $10 per night in hotels where they still charge for internet (sometimes Priceline sticks me there), but for a 2 or 3 night stay I would turn on the 3G for the $15 cost and I'd have it for a month. Otherwise, it would be used on wifi all the rest of the time.

Carlos, If you have a 3g or 3gs iPhone, you can get a program that will let it serve as a wifi router, tethering your data plan to other wifi devices. Supposed to suck the battery down real bad though. The new version of the Palm Pre from Verizon does this too, although sounds like Verizon is dumping Palm. Basically turns them into a MiFi type of device.

From what I understand, currently that would mean Jailbreaking the phone. I was looking into tethering a month or so ago and even tried it. But the latest upgrade appears to have killed that option until they want to turn it on for us. I have the IPhone 3G. With my desktops and the iPhone, I get everything done I need to. I would like to have a netbook for traveling. So if that desire increases down the road, I may look at the iPad. But I am still not paying extra to use a 2nd device on an existing 3G account. I can only use one at a time.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Carlos wrote:
From what I understand, currently that would mean Jailbreaking the phone. I was looking into tethering a month or so ago and even tried it. But the latest upgrade appears to have killed that option until they want to turn it on for us. I have the IPhone 3G. With my desktops and the iPhone, I get everything done I need to. I would like to have a netbook for traveling. So if that desire increases down the road, I may look at the iPad. But I am still not paying extra to use a 2nd device on an existing 3G account. I can only use one at a time.

Yes, my iPhone is on Tmobile so it has been jailbroken and unlocked since the day I got it. Since Apple now officially sells phones without contract again, seems that they have decided they don't really care. I am thinking the next iPhone will be unlocked as well, just as the iPad is (not that that matters much for the iPad, only AT&T operates on their 3g frequencies right now). I think they are a little more concerned about the jailbreaking, they would prefer that we only use official App-store applications on our phones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

avatar

Location : Littleton, CO
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 pm

I bought one today. The store had plenty and there were no crowds this afternoon. I was just goin to take a look see, but... Yeah! I drank the Apple kool aid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipey McPiperson

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Indiana
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:55 am

Wet Dottle wrote:
but... Yeah! I drank the Apple kool aid.

So, how does it taste?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:29 am

Sour Apple? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:34 am

Hey WD, how are you liking it? What I am reading is everyone is head-over-heels about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

avatar

Location : Littleton, CO
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Pipey McPiperson wrote:
So, how does it taste?
It's all it was promised to be. Very Happy

Actually, it is very impressive. I didn't plan to get one, but went to the store thinking the place would be too crowded to even get in. Wrong! After less than 5 mins of playing with one I was convinced. Bought it strictly for entertainment, but was able to load some technical stuff in it, mostly PDF documents and PowerPoint presentations. I still prefer the laptop for work, but movies and books look great in it (goodbye Kindle). Unfortunately, 64GB is not a lot of memory.

Last night the wife started playing with it and now it's hers. I'm going to get the 3G unit when it comes out. It may replace the laptop in some of my trips.

EDITED TO ADD: the screen is very, very good, but now I'll have to HandBreak some movies again to use the higher resolution (as compared to the iPod). Some apps have not been ported to the iPad (Skype, for example), but it's ok because the iPad is fully compatible with the iPod. Battery life is not as bad as expected for an Apple gadget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Somewhere between Kansas and Missouri
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
It's all it was promised to be. Very Happy

Yeah, I was worried about that. The Apple store is only about 6 blocks from my house, been by there 5-6 times this weekend but managed to resist stopping in. Wife and I both got new Mac laptops in January so another purchase would not likely be prudent. I'd probably have to take it out of the tobacco budget. Maybe after the 3G comes out I will have a look.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
avatar

Age : 68
Location : Alberta. Canada
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Scratching Head... and how is an ipad an advantage over a laptop...

???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

avatar

Location : Littleton, CO
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
Scratching Head... and how is an ipad an advantage over a laptop...
Well, SP. It depends on what you are going to do with it. It is much smaller and lighter than a laptop (have you tried to use a laptop in an airplane?) and can do somethings nearly as well. For example, looking at documents and PowerPoint presentations. It does e-mail well enough, too. It is really good (better than some laptops) for watching movies and TV shows. Web surfing works well enough, the proof being that the wife did not use the computer at all today. Actually, the more she uses it, the less she needs the computer. She already spent a fortune buying books from Amazon (there is a kindle app for the iPad).

And it's cool as heck. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

avatar

Age : 41
Location : Syracuse, NY
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 pm

A big old pass for me. It may be ok if you just want to read books on it but doesn't offer the functionality I look for. In no way does it replace a laptop if you want to do more than browse the web. Here is the short list of showstoppers for me and there are more. If you want to buy it just make sure you know what it can and can't do so you don't end up disappointed. Think larger iphone because that's all it is. Sleep

No multitasking on a device this size? Come on even my Droid phone has that Laughing

No Flash support? Unacceptable for a "laptop killer"

No freedom in applications. App Store only locked down environment. Good luck if you want to run a different browser.

No webcam = no Skype

No USB unless you guy a $30 adapter

Expensive for the amount of memory you get. No SD card expansion is a joke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
avatar

Age : 68
Location : Alberta. Canada
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
...It is really good (better than some laptops) for watching movies and TV shows. Web surfing works well enough, the proof being that the wife did not use the computer at all today. Actually, the more she uses it, the less she needs the computer. She already spent a fortune buying books from Amazon (there is a kindle app for the iPad).

And it's cool as heck. Cool

Love new technology Very Happy ... But still not convinced...

Not telling my wife about it... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman
avatar

Age : 30
Location : Berkeley, California
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Bub

avatar

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Now we just need a recipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
avatar

Age : 68
Location : Alberta. Canada
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:27 pm

So the ipad arrives in a box... what else do I need to get it started?

Charge it up and then press the "on" button?

The box is on my desk, unopened. A gift for a family member.... should I get something else to make it work? Or does that happen automatically with the "on" button ?

Techno dummy here... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:39 am

Charge it up.. Turn it on.

If you have a Wireless LAN you will be on the air.
If not it can be corrected for about $40 by purchasing a Wireless modem.

To get Apps you will need an Itunes account. The account is free but requires a credit card to secure purchases with.. Don't worry, Tons of Free Apps on there.


And don't forget to tell the kinfolk about cousin PB down in the States Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:21 am

I have no use for one.
But I remember when I said that about computers. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ultraman



Location : SoCal
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:05 am

I have an IPad and am using the Numbers app as a spreadsheet to keep track of my pipe rotation (photo of the pipe, type of tobacco I smoked in it, etc.) It's pretty cool.

Now I could do something similar with a $1.75 notebook, but it doesn't look as cool and I couldn't chat with you fine chats with it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

avatar

Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Already submitted the iPad version of Pipe Tool to Apple Smile



Pipe Tool for iPhone, iTouch, and iPad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
avatar

Age : 45
Location : Olympia, WA
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm

That looks awesome gandalf!

_________________
Jason

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster
avatar

Age : 68
Location : Alberta. Canada
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody buying an iPad?   Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Wow Shocked

How'd you do that gandalfpc ?

You mean I can get that on my new Ipad... err, I mean, my grandson's birthday Ipad ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Anybody buying an iPad?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» cant pull up my website on my ipad?????
» mobile-ipad-screen-layout-not-right-classic-version
» Is this why we pay ourtaxes?
» POLL - Would You Buy Casey Anthony's Book? Please Vote
» Russians stockpiling goods in anticipation of apocalypse 21st December

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: