HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brentona

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:30 pm

...both from Orlik era production. Both estimated to be 2-4 years old in tin as is. How long should I consider aging these?
Wait till theyre around 10 years old?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Smoke it! 2-4 years is a perfect amount of time for english blends to age. Any harsh edges will be rounded out without the latakia losing any of it's oomph. You probably won't notice a measurable improvement with another year or two of aging since latakia starts to fade a bit over time. Have yourself a bit of heaven with them now and try to find more for the future. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brentona

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:08 pm

Oh man, in that case, Girlfriend's graduation, here I come!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 pm

shadrack wrote:
Smoke it! 2-4 years is a perfect amount of time for english blends to age. Any harsh edges will be rounded out without the latakia losing any of it's oomph. You probably won't notice a measurable improvement with another year or two of aging since latakia starts to fade a bit over time. Have yourself a bit of heaven with them now and try to find more for the future. Very Happy

Shadrack,
Very sound advice about the latakia losing it's potency, but bear in mind, there are other components in those blends that will improve with age. Additionally, the tobaccos also become more and more integrated over time. This is also one reason why Murray tins from the 1980's are more highly sought after than a 2008 Orlik tin. However Brent, I think a reasonable solution would be to take Shadrack's advice and crack those tins soon, but perhaps pack a small half pint mason jar with some to save for ten years down the road. No worries either way man! Keep in mind we will be going to Richmond and I can almost guarantee you we will get a great deal down there on Murray's era Dunhill tins! Enjoy though and don't forget to save me a bowl of Nightcap and EMP when ya open them Cool

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brentona

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 pm

scottbtdmb wrote:

Shadrack,
Very sound advice about the latakia losing it's potency, but bear in mind, there are other components in those blends that will improve with age. Additionally, the tobaccos also become more and more integrated over time. This is also one reason why Murray tins from the 1980's are more highly sought after than a 2008 Orlik tin. However Brent, I think a reasonable solution would be to take Shadrack's advice and crack those tins soon, but perhaps pack a small half pint mason jar with some to save for ten years down the road. No worries either way man! Keep in mind we will be going to Richmond and I can almost guarantee you we will get a great deal down there on Murray's era Dunhill tins! Enjoy though and don't forget to save me a bowl of Nightcap and EMP when ya open them Cool

-Scott

Don't smoke anything heavy or that would linger in your palate before the next Chesapeake meeting
Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:24 pm

scottbtdmb wrote:
shadrack wrote:

Shadrack,

-Scott

Agreed Scott. The virginias in those blends will get better and better over time but at some point, usually between the first and second decade the latakia will start it's slow fade. The blends will no doubt be different after a decade of aging but they may be more interesting and exotic at that point too! Smoke some now to get a taste of what they are like on the younger end of the spectrum and then save some for the long haul to see how they change over time. You can't go wrong and it's a great excuse to buy more. win win Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim in Ohio

Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Sounds like you have night and morning covered... get yourself some C&D manhattan afternoon and you should be all set for smoking pretty much any time of the day or night. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brentona

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Tim in Ohio wrote:
Sounds like you have night and morning covered... get yourself some C&D manhattan afternoon and you should be all set for smoking pretty much any time of the day or night. Wink

Manhattan Afternoon is a GREAT simple VA. Sadly I'm out of it currently. I'll have to get some more that you mention it...

Honey and toasted VA's, what more do ya need?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim in Ohio

Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Brentona,

Not to digress too far off topic... but that is a mighty handsome pipe hanging out of your face in your avatar pic... what is it?

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brentona

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Tim in Ohio wrote:
Brentona,

Not to digress too far off topic... but that is a mighty handsome pipe hanging out of your face in your avatar pic... what is it?

Tim

*blushes*
Just a $50 tree pipe. But funnily enough, it's one of my best smokers!
I have a couple brebbias, savinellis, a boswell, danske meer, gbd, etc. I'll have to post my collection on here. I think my best grained pipe might be my Mauro Armellini though...it's gorgeous.

The pipe in my avatar is an "Angelo" and it's a bent rhodesian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philthy

Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: EMP   Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Where the heck did you find the EMP? You are the only guy I know face to face that has worse PAD/TAD than me. confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philsmithknives.com
brentona

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Philthy wrote:
Where the heck did you find the EMP? You are the only guy I know face to face that has worse PAD/TAD than me. confused

I might be, I might be. EMP is a light latakia blend, but, I will be willing to share it with you if you'd like to try it, it's great. I'll be at MSC tonight if you would like to try!

I bought it from John at the last pipe meeting haha, He only wanted 8 bucks too!

But yeah, since I posted this originally, I bought two more Night Caps and an 8 year old VA/Pr (GL Pease Haddo's Delight). I haven't tried the GLP yet, that's for the Chesapeake Meeting on Monday!

Are you game for the Boswell cook-out May 8th?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philthy

Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Boswell's on 8th   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Looks like that trip - which I was definitely making- may be out. Cub scouts planning on camping on Assateague Island. I am currently trying to get them to shift the dates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philsmithknives.com
brentona

PostSubject: Re: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Philthy wrote:
Looks like that trip - which I was definitely making- may be out. Cub scouts planning on camping on Assateague Island. I am currently trying to get them to shift the dates.

It's really no sweat, man.
If there's something you particularly want, just let me know and I can get that for ya. Obviously it's not a Boswell's trip, but, bear in mind were going as a club in June.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Congrats!! Those are two of my favorite blends of alltime. Actually if you were to smoke them now they´d be great. At 2-4 years they´re just about "coming into their own". On the other hand if you´re a collector, hang on to them unopened as they´re getting scarcer. I have a half lb of Orlik EMP bulk that I´m just hanging onto for oltime´s sake. No tins anymore.
The Murray´s tins are far more collectable. I believe that the two blends (Orlik vs. Murrays) are actually slightly different blends as well. The Murrays I always felt to be more flavorful and distinctive, where Orlik was more standard fare. Just my opinion.
Enjoy- I´m kinda jealous!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I just got NightCap and Early Morning Pipe...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1