HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipes & Camping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Pipes & Camping   Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:13 am

Ahhh, the warm weather we have had in Maryland these last couple of weeks got me excited for the inaugural camping trip of the season. A couple of buddies and I decided to plan a trip for tonight, since the weather will be somewhat mild, and a chance of rain is next to nil! We are going right across the Mason Dixon line to a little rugged campsite in Pennsylvania. There is a mile or so hike back through the woods to get to the site, which has been abandoned for many years. It lies right off the Susquehanna River and it is absolutely gorgeous to take in during the morning hours with a pipe and coffee in hand. Speaking of pipes, I am especially excited to go camping now that I have finally come up with what I like to call my "camping pipes". To me, a camping pipe is one a larger sized rusticated/sandblasted pipe with a lucite stem. To further explain why I feel this way, lucite stems do not oxidize as many of you know, which is perfect for using when outdoors for a long period of time. The rusticated/sandblasted aspect fits in partially because this way, when you are hiking, you don't have to worry about straight grains getting scratched when rubbing against each other in your pipe case/bag. Finally, the larger sized pipe aspect is easily explained. When I am sitting around a campfire sipping some fine beverages and relaxing, the last thing I want to have to do is dump out a pipe every 20 min or so and reload another. A nice big pipe will ensure that I can keep my rear firmly implanted on the log for at least a solid hour! Anyhow here is what I am taking with me in my new awesome pipe bag that I got from Steve Monjure:

1.) Ardor Urano Giant
2.) Radice Rind GGG
3.) Ardor Urano (apple shaped)
4.) GBD Speciale Standard

Tobacco wise, I am bringing some HH Vintage Syrian, Pipeworks #10, Peretti's Royal Blend, Peretti's Cuban Mixture, Rattray Old Gowrie, and some Sutliffe Maple for my buddies (casual pipe smokers) to puff on in their cobs. The fact that this pipe bag fits an Ardor Giant, a Radice GGG, 2 medium pipes, a bunch of tobacco, tampers, 3 lighters, cigar cutter, pipe cleaners, and pipe cloth is definitely awesome. It takes up minimal space in my large backpack, as opposed to carrying 3 pipe bags like I used to do last year. Anyhow, if you can't already tell, I am super stoked for tonight!!!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philthy

Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Niiice   Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 pm

You Sir, SUCK! tongue

Seriously though, it sounds great. Wifey's honey do list has precluded any plans that I might have mistakenly thought I was going to accomplish of my own.

I also tend to agree with your thoughts on outdoor/camping pipes. I have been gathering a couple of my own with teh same thoughts. I also include the Falcons, which although on the smaller side definitely have it on the durable, easy care side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philsmithknives.com
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Just returned from a week of hunting & fishing. I totally agree with your criteria for a camping pipe - big, rusticated with a lucite stem. Perhaps an added feature would be that they have bent stems for easier clenching while you're fly fishing. My selection of pipes were mainly Petes & Savs. Good, hardworking, honest pipes. I took along 4 tins: OGS, Astley 109, Old Gowrie & FVF (of course). Each day I would simply slip two or three pipes & a tin of baccy into my day pack & head out. We stayed over at a stone cottage so I had a base to store the rest of the smoking gear. Nothing like a pipe in front of a camp fire at night after a day in the field or on the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Hope your camping trip was grand! I'm right there with ya buddy. I hope to get in the woods very soon myself!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 am

Muddler my man ... agreed

...... just been away to the coast with my family, took my "travel pipes" along. Half bents and oom Paul's.... they work great for hands free out door activity. Orik Golden Slice for Breakfast... Walnut later in the day and evenings.
Some of those prized babies are better smoked at home!
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 am

Wasn't camping but spent the weekend romping around our woods. Ticks are already out in force in these parts, make sure you are well sprayed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PegLegEd

Registration date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:07 am

Hunter5117 wrote:
Wasn't camping but spent the weekend romping around our woods. Ticks are already out in force in these parts, make sure you are well sprayed.

And look out for these:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Just got back from the camping trip a couple hours ago. It was a blast!!! Temperatures got down to the mid-upper forties, but the combination of a roaring fire and single barrel bourbon kept us all nice and warm. It was particularly enjoyable smoking a pipe with my two buddies around the campfire, the first time this has been done actually. They are very much novice pipe smokers, but enjoy it all the same. My one buddy, who smokes aromatics generally, let me make him a mixture of 2/3 Peretti's Cuban Mixture with 1/3 Lane Cherry, and he really enjoyed it!!! My other friend smoked some of my HH Vintage Syrian and fell in love with it. Aside from that, we enjoyed some nice cigars, a decent amount of craft beer, some delicious (seriously) dehydrated teriyaki chicken for dinner, and a nice sausage egg cheese biscuit with hash browns for breakfast. I also brought along my travel size french press and made some coffee for everyone in the morning, which was quite enjoyable to sip on while staring down at the river. Overall, we agreed that this was one of our Top 3 Epic Camping trips of all time, and that says a lot since we have been on quite a few over the years. It definitely set the tone for what should be a lot of camping this year!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Hunter my man........
Define "romping round the woods".........here in RSA that word has an interesting connotation!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Sounds like a fine trip with fine friends. I always have my pipes in the woods with me. Depending on what I'm doing (backpacking, canoe camping, or hiking) I generally take different pipes. Here is a pix of the backpacking set up I've used for over a decade. Mike Brissitt (Pipemaker who pops in on the board from time to time) designed and made several bowls that fit perfectly in the little Tupperware bowls, so I can load a few with different blends in the morning and have them ready as needed.

They're compact, light weight, and especially for extended trips where every ounce counts, one Kirsten radiator body, two bowls with containers, about a dozen little snack bags with different tobaccos, two mini Bics, half a dozen pipe cleaners, and it weighs just under 8 ounces, is just larger than a can of beer, and gives me three bowls of tobacco a day for 10 days. Just one option that seems to work for me when weight is a primary concern.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Natch wrote:
Sounds like a fine trip with fine friends. I always have my pipes in the woods with me. Depending on what I'm doing (backpacking, canoe camping, or hiking) I generally take different pipes. Here is a pix of the backpacking set up I've used for over a decade. Mike Brissitt (Pipemaker who pops in on the board from time to time) designed and made several bowls that fit perfectly in the little Tupperware bowls, so I can load a few with different blends in the morning and have them ready as needed.

They're compact, light weight, and especially for extended trips where every ounce counts, one Kirsten radiator body, two bowls with containers, about a dozen little snack bags with different tobaccos, two mini Bics, half a dozen pipe cleaners, and it weighs just under 8 ounces, is just larger than a can of beer, and gives me three bowls of tobacco a day for 10 days. Just one option that seems to work for me when weight is a primary concern.

Natch

That is a very ingenious set up you have there my man! I will make a note of what you have done as I eventually would like to do an extended back pack trip through the Appalachian Mountains!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Philthy

Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Natch wrote:

Natch

Been trying to catch one of the "Bent" or angled Kirsten's for just this purpose. Always a day late and several dollars short on ebay. Still trying...

I must admit however, that I don't quite get the point of toting several spare bowls (maybe one extra)preloaded (makes me think of preloaded blackpowder loads) Seems like the one pipe and a small pouch or two would suffice. I am not disagreeing - I just don't get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.philsmithknives.com
Natch

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Philthy,

It's just the setup I usually use for backpacking, and I have other options for other trips (our own Sasquatch made me a fine, light bent sitter that I may take on an upcoming trip). I usually carry only two bowls when weight is a concern, one for Va's and Vapers, and one for latakia/oriental blends or the occasional aromatic (you never know when you might have a member of the Swedish bikini team show up at your fire late at night?). If I'm day-hiking away from my base camp, I'll usually fill both bowls. They don't spill in the containers, then when I get to a resting place, I decide which one I want, screw it onto the stem, and puff away. If you only smoke part of the bowl, I unscrew the bowl, place a bit of tissue into the bowl to keep the ashes in, place it back into the Tupperware container with lid, shake out the Kirsten stem, and away I go, no muss, no fuss. Takes a few seconds at each end.

Oh, and after 42 years of backpacking (and I was a guide for 12 years) that Swedish model hasn't found my fire yet, but hope springs eternal. However, the dozens of bears, raccoons, skunks, foxes, and other varmints that have visited my camp seem to like the aromatics.
affraid

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Philty,

I forgot to add. I've smoked Kirstens on and off for years and own several of just about every shape. I like the bents also, but they do not ride well or hang well from the mouth. They're really more of a hold in the hand and puff, not a hang from the mouth while hiking shape. I bit heavy and clumsy for that. All in all, I don't find the Kirsten design well suited for clinching in your teeth while walking around, but some of the smaller frames may do OK for this.

The large body, straight Lancer radiator stem seems to work best for me in doing what Kirstens are supposed to do.

Natch

Last edited by Natch on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Camping   Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Interesting Natch.... thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down

Pipes & Camping
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1