HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Rum anyone?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SailorJack

SailorJack

Registration date : 2008-10-14

Rum anyone? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:45 am

I was never much or a rummy until somebody gave me a glass of Pyrat XO Reserve Rum. I just didn't know Rum could get that good. Fruity, Complex, Smooth, Sophisticated. YUM!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm

I like rum a lot. The best I've ever had was Havana Club. I don't think you can get it in this country, but if you can get it... you won't be disappointed. I recommend the 7yrs. or 15yrs. if you ever get the opportunity. Good stuff!
Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 pm

I've never been a big fan of rum. Admittedly I haven't tried many, but what I have tried tasted horrible in my opinion, which is probably why it's always mixed with a bunch of fruity sugary crap, so you don't actually taste the liquor much. Maybe I need to give some better stuff a chance, I dono.

If I'm drinkin' rum, I'm either on vacation in some exotic beach locale (which is just about never); or I've had a bad day, decided to say efff it and write the rest of the day off too. In that case I don't bother screwin around and just grab the 151 from the cabinet, a coke from the fridge and tell my wife to go warn the neighbors to lock their doors and board up their windows Laughing affraid

I did once do a few shots of some sort of coconut flavored rum junk at a concert. We were on the second floor balcony. I won't go into detail, but I will say that the people that were standing on the ground floor underneath us regretted me doing shots of that crap even more than I did. No pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:51 am

Kraken & Coke for me tonight. With a little lime.

Sailor Jerry's was the only rum I had purchased in the past 4 years (I don't buy rum very often) until I picked up this Kraken... So far, it's damn good and slightly stronger than SJs.

I agree with Frost about needing to try some higher quality Rum. It's just not a spirit I have ever felt the need to "explore"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NicholasDestray

Registration date : 2011-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 am

Milan wrote:
I like rum a lot. The best I've ever had was Havana Club. I don't think you can get it in this country, but if you can get it... you won't be disappointed. I recommend the 7yrs. or 15yrs. if you ever get the opportunity. Good stuff!
Milan
The situation is similar to cigars. In the US, Bacardi sells a Puerto Rican rum under the name Havana Club, because the Cuban version is unavailable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josjor

Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 am

I've always loved Mount Gay Eclipse, although the name can get looks at the bar when you order it. Very Happy

As for mixes...............ice with a little bit of ice. I've never understood mixing things like Coke with a quality spirit. If it's a quality spirit then I like to taste it, not the corn syrup bubbly stuff many people dilute it with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 4:39 pm

Captain Morgan Private Stock and 3 cubes of ice thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't know rum from Shinola. Bourbon and beer's my thing. What's a good rum for making hot buttered rum? I've never had that either, but the description of it sounds good on a chilly winter day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I've been drinking Cruzan's Black Strap for a couple of months. It's pretty good stuff, maybe a little sweeter than some, but really nice late in the evening when I'm reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigBehr

BigBehr

Registration date : 2011-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

My Favorite mix is 1 part Sailor Jerry, 2 parts coke, 2 lime wedges and 2 drops of bitters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 am

BigBehr wrote:
My Favorite mix is 1 part Sailor Jerry, 2 parts coke, 2 lime wedges and 2 drops of bitters.

Sounds good...
Angostura bitters?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Does anyone have a definitive answer to which country makes the best rum? In the US, most rum on the store shelves comes from Puerto Rico, though I've heard the rest of the world considers Venezuelan the best. Of course, I heard that from a Venezuelan, so it might have been a biased opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

tech2576 wrote:
Captain Morgan Private Stock and 3 cubes of ice thank you. Smile

I second that motion!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itsKot

itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Can't say I've had any Venezuelan rum myself, but Ron Zapaca in Guatemala makes some of my favorite rum. It's been a while since I've had it, as I recall it's not cheap, but it's well worth the price
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigBehr

BigBehr

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Does anyone have a definitive answer to which country makes the best rum? In the US, most rum on the store shelves comes from Puerto Rico, though I've heard the rest of the world considers Venezuelan the best. Of course, I heard that from a Venezuelan, so it might have been a biased opinion.

I would have to agree. My favorite rum hands down would be Cacique 500. But its not that easy to get, or cheap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Cacique! Thank you. I couldn't remember the name, but that's what my friend in Caracas used to send me. That was good stuff. I haven't seen it in years, but US/Venezuelan relations were much better in the 90s than they are now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigBehr

BigBehr

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Has anyone tried Kraken? let me know what you think...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 5:26 pm

BigBehr wrote:
Has anyone tried Kraken? let me know what you think...

Kraken was good, but much darker and heavy than I was used to. Some licorice notes in that one. I prefer Captain Morgan's Private Stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:32 am

90% of my rum experience consists of a 50/50 mix of Parrot Bay and Mountain Dew (in retrospect, pretty awful...but at the time it was just what the doctor ordered to get through those 3 hour undergrad evening classes!).

I'm pretty much a craft beer and Irish whiskey guy these days, but I do keep a bottle of Appleton's on hand. It's pretty popular among my friends and family, and I don't have any real complaints, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm probably going to embarrass myself here but... I drink rhum Pecoul. Not to drink rum, but to, well, drink. Laughing I've found it a very handy drink when hiking/camping because there's no extra water to carry around. And well, I guess the pleasant associations to campfire and the smell of a forest have just stuck. It's the cheap pantyhose of alcohol for me - always does it's job, although nothing spectacular.... except spectacularly reliable!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 pm

I have long hair always pulled back with a buckskin tie, I'm missing my left eye and when I'm at work I wear an eye patch.....OF course I LOVE ME SOME RUM. As of late I have been Drinking Kracken Rum... It is quite smooth... a good sipper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 6:11 pm

I love rum. I don't drink much else. I have, ah, a source who keeps me well supplied with 7 year old Havana Club. That stuff is grand, in a Cuba Libre (with a squeeze of lime) or with a splash of pinaeapple juice. I also like to mix a Papa Doble with some 3 year old Havana Club blanco.

When I can't get that, Sailor Jerry or Myer's are my choice. If you can find it, try Myer's Legend 10 year old. Its friggin' delicious...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BVBriar

BVBriar

Registration date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 3:10 pm

DogfishHead Brewery makes a small batch Brown Wild Flower Honey Rum that is sublime. It can be difficult to find, but when I do, I leave the store shelf barren. Preferred straight up in a double-old fashioned glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/BardsVintageBriar
Frozenthunderbolt

Frozenthunderbolt

Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 am

Yep - my own its way good - legal here in New Zealand cheers
Hate coruba and capt morgan - too poor to buy any flasher stuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BurleyLegal

Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 am

My favorite rum of all time is Gosling's, but I have drank more than my fair share of Myer's and Pusser's. Old New Orleans Rum makes an amazing Cajun Spice Rum, it's by far the best spice rum I've ever had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rum anyone?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: