HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Rum anyone?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

Rum anyone? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 am

Captain Morgan Private Stock "Makes me a jolly good fellow". Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 9:39 am

While on a trip to the Dominican I visited the Brugal distillery in Puerto Plata and brought back a couple bottles of Brugal Extra Viejo, along with some hand-rolled Dominican cigars. Served both up to one of my fellow Scotch drinkers; he loved the cigar but was not a fan of the rum. Me, I enjoyed both, and still like a nip of the rum from time to time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Being mostly a single malt sipper, I was looking for a change of pace and while at the Chicago pipe show the Wednesday Cigar Festivities were being held. There were many distillers of fine sipping rums available to sample and I was hooked. I have found several sipping rums that are delicious and presently I'm enjoying some Ron Zacapa 23 year old that is amazing. Usually enjoyed with a cigar but tonite it's a bowl of Wilderness along with Zacapa and it's total enjoyment. The experimentation goes on!!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 am

Puros_bran said:
“As you may have guessed I'm an Appleton fan boy”

Wonderful stuff...use to make a pina colada with Appleton. Filled the straw with Appleton Dark as a shooter to kick it off. Yes it did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 am

Anybody remember Bacardi Anejo Especial Methuselum? Really old...could get it in Havana at a restaurant still in existence ...can't think of the name, had a butter dish from there..got it New Years Eve when Castro was just entering Havana city with his troops (could hear the bombs going off).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
Anybody remember Bacardi Anejo Especial Methuselum? Really old...could get it in Havana at a restaurant still in existence ...can't think of the name, had a butter dish from there..got it New Years Eve when Castro was just entering Havana city with his troops (could hear the bombs going off).

Now you have piqued my interest. I've never heard of that Rum before from Bacardi, and if you were in Cuba on New Year's eve when Castro was coming into power you probably have a few years on me as well. Those were the good old days for sure.
I have a bottle of Matusalem Gran Reserve 15 Solera that is amazing stuff. Distilled in the Dominican Republic from the Cuban formula. You were fortunate to taste the real stuff. This Matusalem is one of the best I've ever tasted. IMO, (and it's all personal preference just like tobacco), this tastes as good if not better than the Zacapa 23 y.o. Solera at half the price.

We are now experiencing the nice hot weather where I can enjoy a cigar or pipe with some nice old rum and it's a treat.

Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Those were the good old days in Havana, you were either extremely wealthy as in opulent wealth, or extremely poor (campesinos). Those were the days when Meyer Lansky pretty much ran the American side while Batista tried to run the Cuban "affairs"...made for interesting times....and parties that would make todays' celebrities blush.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: Rum anyone?   Rum anyone? - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Matusalem Gran Reserve 15 Solera...probably similar to Bacardis' and it probably was called Matusalem as you indicated...meaning really, really, old reserve stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rum anyone?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: