HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tillman's Site.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 pm

This might start a fight... It might even end up in the Rubber Room with even more guys thinking I'm a douchebag... That's OK.

tobaccoreviews.com has become dad gone near the most useless tobacco site on the web...

Its bad enough that you have to wade through, "I am a distinguished Virginia smoker my good man, I do not smoke that dreadful Latakia, this particular blend from an over hyped Colonial, and I'm being very gracious to the riff raff by calling him such, 'Blender' contains that dreaful leaf. As such it is not fit for consumption by any gentleman of my caliber."
And "Placebo"... And "place holder for future review".. And all manner of nonsense... Now it appears we don't look for tobacco under the brand on the container, we now must know which tobacco factory actually produces the blend...

Escudo belongs in A.C. Peterson's review catagory until such time as it is sold as Stokkebye Escudo...

"But PB, I hear that Stokkebye is tinning it now..". That's all well and good BUT we don't put Pease under C&D's section... Up until PCCA sold out to McClellands we didn't put them in with McC's section... Likewise all the K&K blended weeds, they still go under their brand name.... Why is Escudo different?

Basically if you don't keep up with the latest "In the know" pipe boarders your not going to have a clue where to look.. Utter Nonsense..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

I use that site for 3 reasons, in order (top down) of degree to which I find the site actually helps me, from greatest to least:

1) To find tobaccos I have never heard of.
2) To determine what may or may not be in those tobaccos.
3) To attempt to discern what the dominant tobacco might be.

I have no intention of ever posting a review there, simply because I don't see why I should add more useless drivel to what is already a site that has more useless drivel than usefull info. I save my useless drivel for you guys. Laughing

I definately can appreciate the effort that the site builders put into it though, and it is an ambitious undertaking for sure. But I am of the opinion that if you really want to know what it is like to smoke a particular tobacco, then you pretty much hafta smokit. If the site provided the information I seek as listed above, and only that info I would love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:59 pm

1 more negative and then I'll say something positive...

The rating is 1-4 Stars...

Not 3 stars....
Not 5 stars...
Not 10 Stars....

4, F O U R, stars...

Smile Smile Smile

No for the positive:

(A trick from Vito) Look up what your smoking, find the ones that reports flavor,body, etc like you are experiancing... Do this for a week or so... At the end of the time you will have a list of guys who's reviews you can sorta halfway trust on blends you haven't tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

I read your neighboring stash post and went there to look up C&D Yale Mixture. Not listed under C&D blends. Not listed under blend names either. Normal.

It is a clown circus, for sure -- anything un-moderated turns into one.

It's useful to me in this respect : if more than one guy says he smells/tastes Lakeland Shampoo-slash-Room Deodorizer in a G&H or SG blend, they've spared me the frustration of buying some to try and pitching it when I get the top popped.

It's useful also as a general gauge of stuff like perique dominance in a VaPer.

But mostly it's a clown show.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 pm

There's a few reviewers there who's opinion I respect. Mainly these are Noorm, Pipestud, Our own "Kaps" and a few others. As for the rest, well... I'll be kind. It is a great resourse for determining the content of a blend I haven't yet tried. I guess take it "with a big ol' grain o' salt" best sums it up for me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 pm

I wholeheartedly endorse Doc's view stated above (and thanks for the shout out, I am humbled to say the least). Here is an interesting exchange on the subject, sort of, with a troll who posted on this board for a short time last year:

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/proposed-template-for-narrative-reviews-of-pipe-tobaccos-t5105.htm?highlight=template

I have not had any time to write up my thoughts on anything for many months now, either on TR or here - but am certainly hoping things will slow down this coming summer and I can get back to thinking seriously about the many wonderful blends I have been smoking recently and put some of that thinking into words.

I will tell all of you, however, that every time I log into BoB and I see a new post in the reviews section, I get very excited. I trust the folks here on such matters much more than anywhere else, and have yet to be steered wrong with both recommendations and warnings. One of the reasons I am so looking forward to my turn with the box pass is that I know that the demonstrated good taste of the participants will add up to something quite wonderful!

Review on brothers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm

I take most everything I read over there - including the blend descriptions - as opinion. In fact, for the longest time Irish Flake read that the only blending ingredient was kentucky. Seems they've fixed it now though for that particular tobacco, although I still don't think (another opinion!) it even has kentucky in it. It's possible but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I know for some tobaccos it is extremely tough to fit into the descriptors in their database, I added one recently that was like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

It's basically the wikipedia of the pipe tobacco world, except the fallibility is even more obvious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Its there Yak, you just have to know how C&D gets listed in there... It is blend #531 Yale Mixture...

There again the reviews are all over the place... It is a Virginia/Latakia blend...no burley, no orientals, no perique.. And yes various reviewers accuse it of all of these...

The virginias lean a little towards the earthy side on the slider scale of how virginias can taste.. Not funky but not a sweet tooth fix either.. Very pedestrian Centrist... The Latakia is added at the Condiment level, its not a latakia bomb by any sensible definition..its there, you will taste it with every puff, but its not the primary flavor... Light Medium to Medium in body, negligible nicotine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:45 am

(Mark deleted his post that prompted this one, it doesn't make as much sense now, but when have any of my posts made sense anyway)

Define 'more'. Higher quality or Higher quantity?

Pipepriss is out of date but at least he knew what went in the blends...
P&T's dynamic duo are better...
I'd even venture that quite a few of the reviews here are higher quality...

Sure they have the most information on the various blends, (and that's why I keep going back, even though I end up pissed off 9 out of 10 times)
But I'd be totally taken aback with 1/3rd the info that was correct...

I don't normally read post like this.. 1 star.

This particular post smelled real nice on the keyboard, but sadly it didn't transfer to the monitor.. Its topped with PG and vanilla. 3 stars

Update: I have to remove a star, after my initial infatuation with this post I realize there are much better posts in this catagory. 2 Stars.

I love this post... Although I do not believe its sarcasm, I'm pretty sure its dry wit. Its a good change of pace post but is a little much for my all day reading. 3 Stars.

I remember when PB's posts were made at Knox Cigar. Bob has ruined what was once a great poster.. 1 Star.

Tons of sarcasm in this post.. Sarcasm and anger.. Yum! 4 Stars.

This was clearly offered up as a sarcastic and angry post.. I detect neither, nothing but hot air.. 1 Star

This is my first time ever reading a post, this is the best post ever. 4 Stars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 am

TR needs three Ms:

Mods - to enforce the rules and delete/warn/ban as needed, and clean up the sorting as much as possible. Maybe they could draft and enforce some new guidelines/format, too.

Meta - a user ratings system that works (better than the last one that was rolled out briefly). Laissez-faire doesn't stand a chance of working unless you actually have a market system in place. Maybe just a "recommend" button for well-written reviews and a "flag" for reviews that violate the guidelines. (You also need the mods to keep people from flagging reviews they just disagree with.)

and to a lesser extent, Money - Jon's been doing this for free or more recently, for donations that likely amount to roughly $0 per user. The less helpful the site, the more expensive it is to run, and the harder it is for one lonely dude to moderate. I'm not saying he has to rake in the dinero, but why not a few syndicated ads and a paid ad-free mode?

It's never going to be all that navigable so long as tobacco stores and companies keep switching suppliers and relabeling blends. The search features in the top-nav does do a pretty good job if you're looking for one blend in particular.

The one feature I'd dig would be an "amount reviewed" (by # bowls.) There are some tasters who no doubt can write a great review after one bowl; I'd just like the ability to sort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 am

I use it to find the content of a blend when I can't find it elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 am

Yeah , I deleted my post, I was asking for information regarding better review sites. But as I sat there and looked at my post, I realized there are none that provide as many reviews, from as many varied sources, updated with new blends on a regular basis. Hoping a tobacco I'm interested in will be reviewed among the half dozen covered each month by other sources is an exercise in futility. I can't argue the fact that it's frustrating on TR sometimes to find what you want quickly, and most of the reviews aren't helpful,,even contradictory,,,but it provides information to sift through. Surfing through the site simply viewing the various blends by the manufacturers at least gives me information on what's generally available ,,,info not easily accesed from one source, and certainly not provided by e-tailers, who understandably can't carry each blenders full line. So do you hit every tobacco retailers site looking for info on blends they may carry that aren't available where you normally shop, (provided with the manufacturers description,,,yeah right), or search for your golden grail among the general publics feedback. Obviously not a perfect system given that very seldom do the reviewers agree, but none-the-less a system,,,

And at 12:45 AM, I didn't expect anyone to catch my delete butthead,,,go to bed,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tillman's Site.   Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 am

PB never sleeps Mark. He's the ever seeing eye
Back to top Go down

Tillman's Site.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1