HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Blown away, even if one is not an astronomy buff ...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sdo/news/first-light.html

Just thought I would share. The video of the prominence eruption is amazing, just amazing. When you consider the magnitudes involved here, it certainly puts things in perspective in relation to one little human sitting in his little garage smoking his pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks for sharing. The photo and video were amazing. Can't believe how far science has come in the past 50 years. Too bad so much of this is getting shelved for more "noble" social programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 am

Staggering! And that's just the one medium-sized star that we're near, out of billions.

The article says this is the first of a series of sun-research missions... imagine what those images will be like with two or three data sources! I have mixed feelings about winding down the shuttle program, but it's pretty remarkable what we can get from unmanned craft like this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:05 am

Amazing photo and video! I love this kind of stuff and watch science channel shows on it all the time. I'm still trying to come to grips with how small and insignificant Earth is....no more than a spec of dust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 am

Awe inspiring. How far we've come,,,Sputnik was a tinker toy,,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
E_in_texas

Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Absolutely incredible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phrozenfearz

Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Quote :
Reds are relatively cool (about 60,000 Kelvin, or 107,540 F); blues and greens are hotter (greater than 1 million Kelvin, or 1,799,540 F).

Those numbers put the North Carolina summer that I'm going to have to deal with soon into perspective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images   Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:04 pm

mark wrote:
Awe inspiring. How far we've come,,,Sputnik was a tinker toy,,,,

Even in October of '57 Sputnik was a toy. But it sure scared the hell out of our government and military leaders and altered our perspective on education that impacts us to this day.

Has anyone seen the 3-D IMAX movie on repairing the Hubble? Truly awesome visuals, and inspiring as well.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory New Images
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1