HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I'm getting SO old,,,

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: I'm getting SO old,,,   Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 am

I'm putting an addition on my sons place, a 12 by 20 off the back,,,it's taken me two days to frame up, and another two to enclose the structure, and sheath the roof. I've still got the windows, shingles and trim to get done. A few years ago I'd be through with the wiring by now,,,,my back is complaining, my knees are pissed off, and I'm in denial. I'm fighting the realization I'm getting old and blaming the air nailer for jamming, the 2 by 6s being warped and tongue and groove not tongueing and grooving for the delay. All valid reasons.
My wife, in her infinite wisdom, patted me on the head and told me "Your not as young as you used to be, you can't do as much now".
You know, when you get a bundle of 2 by 6s half of them are crap,,,and when the nail gun jams up every 15 minutes,,,,and that T-111 wears the hell outta your saw blade,,,,trusses are never square so you have to shim,,,,,,and you have to run for more nails,,,,,and replace the level that broke,,,and,,,,,,and,,,,,,

I guess maybe I am getting old,,,, Embarassed

But I don't have to like it,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I'm getting SO old,,,   Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:42 am

I know what you mean man, I used to go at it on that kind of stuff for 10 -12 hours a day. Now on a typical Saturday working around the house/property I'm worn out after 6 hours; knees & back ache, hip hurts, elbows sore; oh well, just have to take more BEER BREAKs!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm getting SO old,,,   Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Ditto boys..."Senior moments"
lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
dougc905

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I'm getting SO old,,,   Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Actually, when you were 'younger', air nailers probably were not for the weekend jobber, lumber was sourced at least on the same continent where it was consumed, and you would have made your own trusses. Hammers rarely go wrong and never jam! Perhaps you are experiencing the effect of corporate cost cutting. Or maybe I'm too old!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: I'm getting SO old,,,   Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Hey Mark, don't feel too bad. My son and I put up a 24'x32' last fall and it spent the winter in house wrap. We ran out of time and I wasn't going to be messing with siding and trim work in the snow. Yes, the damn lumber sure isn't what it used to me but neither are our backs!

All I got to say is good on you for taking on the project at all. Not a lot of folks these days who could even consider framing up their own addition. I am just glad my son took part in it with me maybe a little of it rubbed off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I'm getting SO old,,,
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: