HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Love the older In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and especially the kings....At The Gates! Good stuff Piet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Jester Race!!!! use it as a ring tone on my mobile and drive the Mrs mad with it! "Re route to remain" is just as good!
Sweet Shad, dig your taste in music bru!

Dig Equilibrium, Winters Verge, Tyr, Children of Bodom. Liked the old Nightwish on Sundays, but since Tarja left the band their stuff has become a little lame.... "bye bye beautiful" is a fine example of dumbing down!
Speaking of hot metal chicks, Tarja is a winner!
Back to top Go down
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Hey Shadrack!

Amen to all the above brother!!
This is fast becoming my best band! I pick up so many different influences here. In places it really reminds me of some Classic IN Flames, another one of my favorites!
And yes bro the chicks are as sweet as the music.
The flute work is just astounding!
Listening to it right now! I'm really blown away! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Now, that's not usually something you hear in a conversation about metal Very Happy

PS: Piet, I got the pipe and as soon as I get a PC that I can post some pics from, I'll be mentioning my new Pietenpauw. Got to say it's spectacular!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sat May 01, 2010 12:51 am

Hey Dover...... GO ON, SMOKE IT MAN and enjoy brother!!
Back to top Go down
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sun May 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Slayer, Reign in Blood. It's the only metal album I own, so I guess it's my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sun May 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Jack Straw wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned Slayer, Reign in Blood. It's the only metal album I own, so I guess it's my favorite.

It's on my list. No way that one doesn't get a spot. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handsome Dynamite

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sun May 02, 2010 9:51 pm

My favorite metal bands are Turisas, Tyr, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Iron Maiden, Metallica. Of course I rock it with others, but those are the big six.

By those bands, my favorite albums are:

Turisas- The Varangian Way

Tyr- By The Light of the Northern Star

In Flames- Lunar Strain

Dark Tranquility- Damage Done

Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time

Metallica- Kill 'em All, of course. But I'm also a fan of Death Magnetic, which I saw live.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sun May 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Dynamite,

Great selections there! Turisas is sweet. Check out the Battle Metal ablum. I found that one much better than The Varangian Way.

Shad \m/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handsome Dynamite

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Battle Metal is definitely kick ass, I just had Varangian Way first and listen to it a lot more haha. I find very few people have heard of Turisas or Tyr. I had a friend in college who was from Croatia and said it was big over there. I guess over there people in my age group have metal playing at their house parties and stuff, but over in the states it's normally hiphop. I should go to Europe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Mon May 03, 2010 12:37 am

Hey HD!
Nice choice bro! Nice to see Tyr on your list! For the Record, Slayer get a shout out from me, Reign in blood and South of H.
Back to top Go down
gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 am

Not a huge metal fan, but I do have and enjoy listening to:

Paranoid, Black Sabbath
One, Metallica
the Black Album, Metallica

I don't really consider AC/DC metal, but I have several of their albums. I just think they are one of the finest rock and roll outfits going.

Also, I don't remember seeing Led Zeppelin mentioned...some consider them sort of the fathers of metal...I think their music is much to varied to be pigeonholed into one style...but they are also one of my favorites, and I have several of their records...hard to pick a favorite.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Handsome Dynamite

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 am

I listen to Slayer too, just not in my top six. But Tyr is probably at the top of my list. I'm not sure what to call Motorhead. I listen to a lot of that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Mon May 03, 2010 3:02 pm

HD.... sweet my man! Motorhead will be classic metal along with Maiden, Priest, early Metallica and the like!

Gospelman..... much respect for giving Zepplin a shout out..... I too see them as the Fathers of Metal! I am also impressed with the bands you mention!
Back to top Go down
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:58 am

Hard question.

1. Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
2. Burzum - Burzum
3. Sepultura - Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation
4. Ildjarn - Forest Poetry
5. Summoning - Dol Guldur
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:24 pm

I grew up on Pantera. Vulgar display of power through The great southern trendkill is definitely my happy zone for them. Those three albums were in heavy rotation for me. The rest of metal for me is picking bits and pieces. I don't know what my top 5 albums would be but Pantera would have to be represented. I just got Corrosion of Conformity's In the Arms of God and I don't know that it's really a metal album through and through by everyone's standard but it's such a solid hard album that I can't get out of my car cd player for long recently. Anybody hear that one?

Ps, I have a soft spot for Slayer, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:03 am

juanmedusa wrote:
I grew up on Pantera. Vulgar display of power through The great southern trendkill is definitely my happy zone for them. Those three albums were in heavy rotation for me.

A few smoking buddies and I were analyzing the Pantera arc recently. The one who knows most about the topic agreed that TGST was a type of peak for them.

juanmedusa wrote:

I just got Corrosion of Conformity's In the Arms of God and I don't know that it's really a metal album through and through by everyone's standard but it's such a solid hard album that I can't get out of my car cd player for long recently. Anybody hear that one?

I have not; the last COC I heard in depth was Blind (although Eye for an Eye is in semi-regular rotation).

juanmedusa wrote:

I have a soft spot for Slayer, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax.

All good choices. Very mid-80s. I might have to throw on Painkiller later with a bowl of Irish Flake.

gospelman wrote:
I don't really consider AC/DC metal, but I have several of their albums. I just think they are one of the finest rock and roll outfits going.

I agree completely on both counts. Hard rock, not metal. But great stuff.

gospelman wrote:

Also, I don't remember seeing Led Zeppelin mentioned...some consider them sort of the fathers of metal...I think their music is much to varied to be pigeonholed into one style...but they are also one of my favorites, and I have several of their records...hard to pick a favorite.

I would apply the same analysis to Led Zeppelin as AC/DC.

Metal started (sort of) with Sabbath. Led Zep was a minor influence, with Jethro Tull, King Crimson and late 1960s punk, plus the horror movies Sabbath was imitating, as much bigger ones.
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:26 am

The song '7 Screaming Diz-Busters' by the Blue Oyster Cult is a great example of early Metal.  While not an album, it's quite noteworthy when considering the origins of Metal in the 70's.

Not so much 'Metal' in the entire song, but parts of it definitely go way above and beyond what anyone else was doing in 1974/1975 when this was recorded.

The real guitar work starts at about the 3-minute mark and then again at the 6-minute mark, but it's a worthwhile listen all the way through. (though one you definitely won't hear on Christian radio stations.  lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Hey deathmetal,
I agree with your buddy on Pantera. CFH was awesome but I think Vulgar is where they started really separating themselves and they built on that up to TGSTK then lost momentum going into the next album.
Since you're familiar with CoC, I'd highly recommend you give In the Arms of God a listen. A great heavy rock album that I get vibes of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and southern rock from at times then they bring it down on the second to last track which is basically an intro to the last which they hammer home with an awesome grinding metal song. They had a fill in drummer on this album that I looked up and seemed to be playing out of style with CoC but was really good here. Let me know if you get to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:31 pm

What, no Cannibal Corpse? Wink

Seriously though, I have trouble with any of these top 5/top 10 list things because every time I think of one album another pops into my mind.

My taste in metal never ran too far past accessible. The only band in DeathMetal's list that I recognize is Sepultura. Albums I dig, some of which could arguably be categorized as hard rock, depending on what you listen to..

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss/Reign in Blood
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
High on Fire - Death is This Communion
Megadeth - Peace Sells but Who's Buying? (this would be a top pick for me if it wasn't for the horrible B.S. filler version of "Ain't Superstitious," which to me is a microcosmic example of why Megadeth is not a great metal band. (You can't have it both ways, just ask Metallica)  
Melvins - Houdini (Is this considered metal? Who cares, it's heavy and I like it.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Hey deathmetal,
Since you're familiar with CoC, I'd highly recommend you give In the Arms of God a listen. A great heavy rock album that I get vibes of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and southern rock from at times then they bring it down on the second to last track which is basically an intro to the last which they hammer home with an awesome grinding metal song. They had a fill in drummer on this album that I looked up and seemed to be playing out of style with CoC but was really good here. Let me know if you get to it.

I'll check it out. It takes me a while, since it's hard to listen to these around work/family.

Rob_In_MO wrote:
The song '7 Screaming Diz-Busters' by the Blue Oyster Cult is a great example of early Metal.  While not an album, it's quite noteworthy when considering the origins of Metal in the 70's.

Interesting stuff. Not sure I'd call it metal, but VERY influential in the 70s.

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss/Reign in Blood
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Great choices there. Some classic stuff! No Cannibal Corpse for me but a lot of Suffocation, Deeds of Flesh and other related bands like Monstrosity.
Back to top Go down
JustPlainBill

Registration date : 2015-08-05

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:38 am

Loud Hard Fast? off the top of my head...

1. Motorhead,  Bomber or Ace of Spades
2, Led Zep,  Presence
3. Sabbath, Paranoid
4. B o C,  Spectres (for "Godzilla")

5. & for variety's sake, Judas Priest, Stained Class
...atho' it's been awhile since I listened to that *ahem* cassette...

Honorable mention to Metallica.

The more overtly "Slaytanic" stuff never really floated my boat. Gave Celtic Frost a fair spin, though.
I like what little I hear by Mastodon on sirius.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:25 pm

JustPlainBill - if you like 'Spectres', then please check out 'On Your Feet Or On Your Knees'.

It's pre- 'Dont Fear The Reaper' when they were harder and more consistent.
The raw energy and band's flawless performance makes it on of rock's best early-live albums.

If you want a copy of it, PM me. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Haven't been into metal since the late 60's/early 70's.

For me back then, Zep 1 and 2, the first couple Sabbath albums, and Deep Purple's "Deep Purple In Rock" define the era for this geezer (no pun intended, if you get my drift).

Nowadays I can listen to metal but just don't dig it like I once did. Moved on.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!   Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Haven't been into metal since the late 60's/early 70's.

For me back then, Zep 1 and 2, the first couple Sabbath albums, and Deep Purple's "Deep Purple In Rock" define the era for this geezer (no pun intended, if you get my drift).

Nowadays I can listen to metal but just don't dig it like I once did. Moved on.

Cheers,

RR

For me, the defining era in Metal was the early 80's. That's when it really seemed to take form. One of my favorite groups from the early 80's Metal era is W.A.S.P., but there are many others that followed suit as well in that era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2