HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Gin, the best bang for the buck?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Must agree with PB's opening opinion (now, we're talking booze here, not politics, lets get that straight right up front!!!) Beefeaters is a good value and a very good, general purpose gin. I really like it in G&T's, but prefer a few others for martinis (especially if I"m not buying).

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2010 12:11 pm

glpease wrote:

And, sorry PB, you're just wrong. A "martini" being made without vermouth isn't going to happen at my bar. A martini is a cocktail. A cocktail is not a single ingredient, no matter how much you may like it. If there's no vermouth in with the gin, it's not a cocktail, and therefore, not a martini. Full stop. Wink

I have to agree here. I'm a 5:1 man, myself.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2010 8:34 pm

So I caved and tried the Chef Pease Ideal Martini... Anchor Junipero and Lillet Blanc, dash of Fee's orange bitters, twist.

I'm ordinarily a three-spritz of Martin & Rossi from the mister dry guy.

I now stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
adauria

adauria

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

Incidentally, I tried a martini garnished with a pepperoncini hot pepper instead of the olives the other night. I had such high hopes, but in the end I decided I'll stick with olives from now on (they're classic for a reason).

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Bombay for the first 5 drinks, then the cheapest rotgut gin for the rest of the evening. By then you will not know or care!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:10 pm

"Gin Lane" from when the first
cheap distilled spirits became available to the common man.

Gin, cursed Fiend, with Fury fraught,
Makes human Race a Prey.
It enters by a deadly Draught
And steals our Life away.
Virtue and Truth, driv'n to Despair
Its Rage compells to fly,
But cherishes with hellish Care
Theft, Murder, Perjury.
Damned Cup! that on the Vitals preys
That liquid Fire contains,
Which Madness to the heart conveys,

Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 Ginlane1

Winslow Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke
Justpipes

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm

That's why I don't drink clear liquors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Justpipes wrote:

And, precisely why I do. Wink

Well, that and the fact that I like gin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Winslow

Winslow

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Justpipes wrote:

What about that "Shine" you all drink from those Mason Jars?
Don't tell me it comes out of the still all colored up like that. Evil or Very Mad

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 10:11 pm

What about that "Shine" you all drink from those Mason Jars?
Don't tell me it comes out of the still all colored up like that. Evil or Very Mad

Winslow sunny[/quote]

What's with this "you all" talk? You live "down South" now, ya' heah!!! We'uns say "ya'll.' The plural of which is "all ya'll!" Now start talkin' like the home folks!!! lol! lol! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Winslow

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:24 pm

All the neighbors I've met are transplanted Yankees.It is true what General Sherman said
about resettling the South with Yankees after the war to really conquer it.
And I think Justpipes is getting that colored up "Shine" from some old boys who are running
it through a rusty radiator in the distilling process.
And getting back on the Gin subject.......I knew an Irish bartender from Dublin who told me
that in Ireland,Gin is considered a whore's drink. Shocked

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Winslow wrote:
And getting back on the Gin subject.......I knew an Irish bartender from Dublin who told me that in Ireland,Gin is considered a whore's drink. Shocked
And to think, I've been giving it away for free for all these years. "Lonely? Buy me a Tanqueray, miss?" Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
brennivin

Registration date : 2010-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm

I'd have to say New Amsterdam as a bang for buck gin. Just seems so much easier drinkin' than Beefeater.

As for martini's, I'm of the 'must have vermouth' crowd. I swear by the gospel of Drink Boy Robert Hess when it comes to this kinda thing. But my fave is actually the smokey martini. A swish of scotch, gin, and a twist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

PostSubject: Citadelle gin and Dion vermouth   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Over the weekend, I bought the "new" Noilly Prat vermouth, and while it's very, very good, it didn't work for me. It's not as sumptuous as Lillet Blanc, which, though it's not really a vermouth, makes a nice martini, more intensely flavoured than the old US version of NP, but not as musky or bitter. It's really good, mind you, and is great for exploring the classic dry martini, the way it used to be before the now discontinued US version became the vermouth those of us on this side of the puddle grew up on. (Not that it was in my sippy cup as a child, or anything like that...) But, it's intense. I found that my normal 5:1 martini was overwhelming with the vermouth's character, while a 7:1 or even 8:1 was much better, and much clearer. More experimentation is called for.

I also bought a bottle of Dion. It's more expensive than the NP, but to my tastes, it's worth every cent. It's got a wonderfully sophisticated flavour profile, and combines beautifully with a great gin for a refreshing, bracing martini that delivers. It's earned a permanent place on the shelf. Except, of course, when I'm taking it down to mix martinis...

The real surprise, though, was Citadelle gin. This stuff is remarkable. It's not as austere as Beefeater, and a not quite as hot. It's marvelously complex, comprising 19 botanicals and quadruple distillation. Clean, yes, but also loaded with nuance. The juniper is forward, but not aggressively so, and every sip seems to evolve from the previous. This is now my #1 gin, I think. Again, more research will be required.

It's not a bargain gin, but it's not expensive, either. A little more than Boodles, less than Beefeater.

As an aside, I find that Beefeater needs to stay on the ice a little longer than many gins, because of its higher proof, and this makes it easier to drink. To me, it's not a sipping gin, but a great martini gin.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Doc Manhattan

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 am

Far from a discount gin, but have any of you gin fans tried the gin that Rogue brewery is distilling now?

The trend in craft beer makers adding distilled liquor is one I welcome, but I wasn't feeling flush when I was in the package store.
Back to top Go down
brennivin

Registration date : 2010-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Far from a discount gin, but have any of you gin fans tried the gin that Rogue brewery is distilling now?

The trend in craft beer makers adding distilled liquor is one I welcome, but I wasn't feeling flush when I was in the package store.

I have, but just once, it was good, but ultimately forgettable. Actually how I feel about most Rogue stuff. I haven't had anything bad from them, but nothing I really ever go back to.

Another similar micro-distill I did find worth rebuying is by Bardenay in Boise, Idaho. All sugar cane based vs. grain. Makes for fairly unique flavor profiles. It's not sweet or anything, but there are notes of that sugar around the edges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarsarge

cigarsarge

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 pm

There is a headache in the bottom of every bottle of gin...Therefore I drink rum. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 7:28 pm

cigarsarge wrote:
There is a headache in the bottom of every bottle of gin...Therefore I drink rum. cheers

Rum? In which case, your head simply falls OFF after drinking a bottle, but you're too numb to notice it in time to pick it up and reattach it, so it rolls into the street to be run over by an oncoming lorry. No. Rum is far too dangerous for me. Very, very dangerous.

I was once enjoying cocktails at a tavern with a friend, who ordered us some sort of rum concoction. I enjoyed it. He ordered us a second round. I enjoyed it, as well. Then, I had to get up to go to the loo. As my legs gave way underneath me, I decided, just before hitting the floor, that rum probably wasn't by drink.

Damned tasty, though.
Back to top Go down
adauria

adauria

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Hmmm... gonna have to try that Citadell next time I need to replenish the gin stash (I've got 3 open bottles now, so perhaps not too soon).

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm

glpease wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
I can dig it...

I'm not really against Bluetinis, Rastinis, and all that stuff...
I've had a couple Bluetinis thaat were good. But they aren't Martinis.
As long as we all know what we are talking about,the terminology doesn't bother me. BUT assuming we all know what we are talking about creates alot of problems... I ordered a Martini last year, the kid said "What Kind?" ( I shoulda known.. I asked for it, it was MY FAULT), I said "A regular old Martini" I got 3oz of straight Vodka.. Evil or Very Mad

I was in Richmond, at a show one year, and tried to get a martini at the local steak house. It was actually really funny. The waitress was adorable, and the dangerously short skirt she sported did more than a little to enhance her charm. I didn't mind her coming back repeatedly in an attempt to get my drink right...

I ordered a Bombay martini. Off she went. A few minutes later...

"The bartender wants to know how to make a Bombay martini."

I explained it was just a martini made with Bombay gin.

"Okay!" Off she went. A few minutes later...

"We don't have Bombay gin. Just Tanqueray."

Okay. That's fine. Off she went. A few minutes later...

A rocks glass, with rocks, is presented, containing what I presumed was gin and vermouth, with an olive on top.

"Can I have this strained into a cocktail glass, please?"

"Okay!" Off she went. A few minutes later...

The same rocks glass, sans ice, now bearing a now innocuous, hopelessly watered down, but strained version of whatever had come the first time. "Thanks, love."

I decided to order a beer.

At a rather nice hotel at a conference in Oklahoma City last year, my friend told the waitress that the dirty martini she ordered appeared (and tasted) to be a "straight" martini. She (the waitress) looked a bit confused as to what a dirty martini was, and she (my friend) explained the addition of a few extra drops of olive juice. She (the waitress) came back to our table with the olive jar, held her hand over the top and tipping the jar over her (my friend 's) martini, strained out a good ounce plus of juice through her fingers, and walked away.

After we gained what composure we had left, all we could think of is where that hand might have been in the last half hour. For some odd reason the waitress didn't see either the error of her concept of "sanitation" or the humor we all saw in it.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin
mark

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 am

There's just no pleasing some people,,,,given that she took the order literally, you could have ordered a "sex on the beach" with surprising results,,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim_Haggerty

Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Gin   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 8:19 pm

When gin hit London in the late 1700's, it was the equivalent of crack cocaine. Which is why the British spent so much time perfecting it. A Beefeater martini (with Martini & Rossi vermouth) is a gold standard, in my opinion, poured over ice, strained into a chilled glass, with an olive or lemon twist, if done correctly (alas, most bartenders have lost the ability to peel a lemon correctly, harvesting zest and avoiding pith) . In the summer, a Tanqueray and tonic in a tall glass with a slice of lime. The quinine in an anti-malarial, which I have successfully avoided due to diligent prophylaxis. A good accompanying bowl is a straight Virginia; I prefer to drink Scotch with a tobacco containing latakia. Life is good, in general, if these are our worst dilemmas.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm

"Beware of the white liquor," my whiskey drinking uncle told me his whiskey drinking father used to warn. Hell, I used to just slam back McCormick gin when I was broke, tasted like hair spray and felt even worse after a while. My uncle and I are both bourbon lovers who've learned.

Maybe off topic, but even the better white liquors have at times done me wrong, gotta agree with the old-timers and stick to the taste I love, the poison I trust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com
nauticalwheeler

nauticalwheeler

Registration date : 2011-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 11:30 am

drunken Buck for the bang? hic. Gordon's Gin hic. drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestrade

Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Gin, the best bang for the buck?   Gin, the best bang for the buck? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 2:20 pm

nauticalwheeler wrote:
drunken Buck for the bang? hic. Gordon's Gin hic. drunken

Indeed. cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Gin, the best bang for the buck?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2