HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bluegrass Pickers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Bluegrass Pickers   Sat May 08, 2010 8:54 am

Didn't want to hijack the Favorite Groups thread but noticed several bluegrass musicians chimed in.
If you play bluegrass what instrument do you play and how often?
Maybe we could start a cyber bluegrass band on the BoB.
I play mandolin and a little (very little) fiddle. Use to play a couple of times per week but a lot of my picking buddies died and I hardly ever play now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Sat May 08, 2010 12:13 pm

LoL. My family reunions always just turn into a HUGE bluegrass festival, as most of my family plays/ sings it. My biological father has 9 brothers and sisters, most of whom make music. So you could say it runs deep in my blood.

I play guitar, bass, piano, mandolin, autoharp, ukelele (however that's spelled), some fiddle (though not well), harmonica, and I sing. I think I play the actual harp and the clarinet too, but I'm not sure. :-P Occasionally I've been known to also rock the kazoo.

Laughing

We should make a BoB band. It should be called BoBoB (Band of Brothers of Briar).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Sat May 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Well I've never been in a Bluegrass band but I do play the guitar, acoustic and electric.
I've have listened to a lot bluegrass over the years, I love Del McCoury and Steve Earl also Tony Rice sure could burn it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Guitar and very little fiddle. Traded an Alvarez guitar for a Romanian made fiddle a few years ago at the Galax, VA Old Time Fiddler's Convention. Pick it up every now and then. My grandmother played claw hammer style banjo. I have mostly played with friends and in a couple of worship bands. I don't have a natural ear for it so I have to work hard at it. Mostly enjoy just sitting around the house and jamming, though I have had the privilage of jamming with some incredible musicians at the Fiddler's Convention in Galax, VA. Galax is considered the Bluegrass Capital of the world and my dad grew up there. I lived there as a very young lad. Bluegrass is in the blood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 pm

LoL. I imagine our BoB band would look a little like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Sat May 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes, just like that but with pipes! Great video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Mon May 10, 2010 9:05 am

I wish I could play Bluegrass! My fingers aren't fast enough!

There's a program that my local PBS station runs on Saturday night called "Song of the Mountain". It's a really good show, that features groups playing the Lincoln Theatre in Marion Virginia.

I'll occasionally pick up my guitar or mandolin and try to follow along...to no avail.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 am

Whether it is lack of perseverance or skill, the only instrument I have played with a band is the kazoo. I do however play bluegrass on my turntable and my cd player. LOL

My hearing is not what it once was so I wouldn't trust my ability to sing on key. When younger I used to line out bluegrass, folk, and gospel lyrics when we had after-hour kitchen parties. The musicians played different styles of music, but all "knew" how to play the "tunes" involved, but generally didn't remember the words. Besides my songbook was kind of eclectic, it was fun teaching young guys "The Frozen Logger" by the Weavers.

But I will be glad to make up part of the audience, or even function as a not very strong "roadie". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric

Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Bluegrass Pickers   Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 pm

I play Bluegrass rhythm guitar, some simple solos, and sing.

I put on a Bleugrass show once a month in a local small/obscure venue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bluegrass Pickers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: