HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smokingpipes.com

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Smokingpipes.com   Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Is it just me or has sp.com's updates lost a lot of the appeal since Bear got gone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Thu May 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Where'd Bear go?

puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Thu May 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Well in a round about way I guess that answers my question......

I don't know where he went or what he's doing... Probably out terrorizing lil ole ladys and cops... Very Happy

When I got the facebook redo I never re added Bear, and for whatever reason the pipeworld is being kinda hush hush about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxbill

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Thu May 13, 2010 10:31 pm

PB

I asked about Bear at the TAPs show in Raleigh. None of the folks at the Smokinpipes table seemed to know where he went. At least they weren't saying if they did know. They did say that he would be making occasional appearances at Smokinpipes in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Fri May 14, 2010 10:14 am

I always check out the update but I find their prices are just un necessarily high. Unless it's something I can't live without I don't buy much from them. IMO Marty Pulvers site just offers more bang for the buck. As an example, I recently purchased that Tony Rodriguez pipe from Pulvers for $220.00. If the same pipe were on Smokingpipes.com it would have been priced at $375 to $400.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Fri May 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Just got thru with the latest SP updates. I noticed Bear's name on at least one of the pipe descriptions. Personally, I think their whole presentation is a bit overdone. Kinda like the wine descriptions....blackberry notes with a hint of vanilla followed by a taste of chocolate with overtones of mint and undertones of tobacco-encrusted tomato vines!! Laughing And I do agree Marty's prices are better. But look at the overhead difference. Compare SP with the Pipe Rack, for example. I do like SP's 'baccy prices sometimes. FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Sat May 15, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buddy Springman

Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Sat May 15, 2010 2:36 pm

I think their GLP tin prices are pretty hard to beat. And since building-up that part of my cellar is the current focus, it's important.

Whatever Bear is doing, I hope he's enjoying the experience. Maybe he's refocusing on his training - degree in oriental medicine. He and Da' Mouse (the little lady) are a fun couple to party with.

Buddy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Sat May 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Bear is a fun guy,always love to read his B.S. about the pipes.Maybe you burn out making
a job out of a hobby?
The great thing we have is with the internet and being able to shop around for our pipes and
tobaccos.Who knows how long this will all last?
I can remember .79 cent pouches of Sail,Balkan Sobrain sold at some Walgreens,I go just that
far back.These may be the golden years right now!

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soundwave13

Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 am

I completely agree - but SP has always treated me right as far as tins, but I'm begining to see the pipe prices are better elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Sun May 16, 2010 11:40 am

Bear said he and SP came to a mutually acceptable and friendly end to his employment and minority ownership.

I really enjoy his writing, the other guys are just not the same.

That said, smokingpipes is good for a lot of things...they have some of the best prices on many brands of tins, and are usually very competitive on mid-grade pipe prices. They have a great selection of Peterson pipes. I don't like the way they doctor up the photos of the pipes (they almost look fake), but I really appreciate that you are seeing the actual pipe you are purchasing. They don't really seem to have the best selection of higher grade stuff, but I'm not a "high grade guy" so that doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Sun May 16, 2010 5:58 pm

SP is also great if you want to trade in pipes you don't use for ones you really want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Smokingpipes.com   Sun May 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Bear Says :
Quote :
I hope everyone is doing well. My long term employment/minority ownership within a company recently came to a mutually acceptable/amiable end, and I have (for the first time that I can recall in a decade) had over a week to relax. Prior to my exit, I was slated to be in the office, not part of the 'away team' headed to the Chicago show. Being the dullard that I am, it took a bit for me to remember that I can go (!!). With apologies if this has been asked/answered recently (couldn't find it); are there rooms still available at Pheasant Run? I'm hoping to arrive on Thursday am, and will pitch a pup-tent if I have to. Still, nothing speaks of convenience quite like staying where the event is held.
http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/268650-rumors-my-death-have-been-greatly-exaggerated.html

What a Face
Back to top Go down
mycroft

Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: smokingpipes   Sun May 23, 2010 10:18 am

I ran across Bear at the Chicago show. Apparently he and Smokingpipes had a parting of the ways. The site has definitely lost a good deal of panache since he left. Hopefully they can mend there differences whatever they were.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Smokingpipes.com
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: