HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I may be done with pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Ever try loading the tobacco with a pipe cleaner inserted in to the shank?
This too will create an air pocket. Just pull the pipe cleaner, reassemble the stem and light.
Gently tamp, lightly drawing while you tamp. Then re-light. Tamp ever so slightly if absolutely necessary.
Re-lights are part of the experience. When I started, I was averaging six or seven re-lights a bowl.
Now, most times I only do about two or three per bowl. (PS: I smoke larger pipes. I had more problems when I smoked the group 3-4 sized pipes. Now I smoke nothing less than a 5-6++. No gurgle, and much more enjoyable experience)

DON"T GIVE UP THAT EASILY!!!!!!!!

PS: If you REALLY want out, PM me and I'll make a deal on what ever pipes / tobacco have laying around. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strongirish

Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Giving up   Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Pipes are not for everybody. I love the ritual of piping, I have smoked for 40 years and i still have to relight, no big deal. You must learn to love pipe smoking. If you don't, you may not ever get it. But try Prince albert first, it almost smokes itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim in Ohio

Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Dmntd_1 wrote:
Started smoking a pipe in 1979, there were no Use Groups, Forums or BBS’s and I didn’t know a single pipe smoker. I smoke drugstore tobacco in wet, gurgling, stinky drugstore pipes that wouldn’t stay lit and scorched the hell out my tongue. Didn’t know any better so I didn’t worry about it, when the pipe got hot I put it down, when the pipe went out I relit it, when the pipe got wet I swabbed it out.

After learning the proper way to fill, light and smoke a pipe, I spent about three more years smoking damp mid range pipes that gurgled from time to time, and wouldn’t always stay lit and bit my tongue a little now and then, and I didn’t worry about it. When the pipe got hot I put it down, when the pipe went out I relit it, when the pipe got wet I swabbed it out.

D.

I only WISH I had the luxury of wet, gurgly, stinky drugstore pipes when I first started pipe smoking. Back then we had to fashion a pipe out of our own feces each time we wanted to smoke. Didn't have lighters or matches either. We had to light the tobacco by holding a magnifying glass a few inches above the bowl in the midday sun. This wasn't ideal, because you would often catch a glimpse of the turd under magnification... which looked pretty gross. So I don't wanna hear any more pansy-assed bellyaching about your tough times with smoking a pipe. Dmntd_1 and I have smoked our way thru alot tougher sh#t than what you're going thru (in my case I mean that literally)... Now get that pipe back in your face and start puffing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dmntd_1

Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 4:33 pm

gonefishing wrote:
That is just plain nasty! Why did you continue? Your pipe years seem to have been horrible…

Three years of fumbling along on my own, three more really getting the hang of it, and twenty five years of enjoyment.

Had I worried about smoking a pipe right, I’d have given up before getting it, same goes for crawling, walking, running, riding a bike, driving a car…
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Tim, if this was a pissin contest you'd win hands down,,,,,even mountain men wouldn't suck turd pipes,,,,

gonefishing,,,,my guess is packing the tobacco too tight is causing all the grief,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Dmntd_1 wrote:
gonefishing wrote:
That is just plain nasty! Why did you continue? Your pipe years seem to have been horrible…

Three years of fumbling along on my own, three more really getting the hang of it, and twenty five years of enjoyment.

Had I worried about smoking a pipe right, I’d have given up before getting it, same goes for crawling, walking, running, riding a bike, driving a car…

You forgot making mixed drinks!!! drunken
Are you going to post any on B.O.B.????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 10:10 pm

I had the same frustrations years ago until I tried the three bears method of packing. Works like a charm ever since. Most of my pipes are 1-2 lights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
gonefishing

Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Thu May 20, 2010 11:32 pm

"three bears" method? Like Smokey the bear Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 1:06 am

The three step method is often explained as

1st layer - sprinkle into bowl till 1/8 inch over full then tamp to 1/2 full - gently, like a child
2nd layer - sprinkle into bowl till 1/8 inch over full then tamp to 3/4 full - firmer, like a mother
3rd layer - sprinkle until 1/4 inch over full then tamp to 1/8 below rim - firm, like a father

hence the three bears Smile

the top layer should be just a bit less firm than a cigar - restricting the draw a bit, to a gentle resistance - it will be a bit springy to the touch...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 1:44 am

Stay with it brother........ it will pay huge dividend in the end, rest assured you are in the good hands of the brotherhood as you can see by all the responses. Help is but a click away! these are really a fine bunch of fellows..... just ask!!
Back to top Go down
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 am

Piet Binsbergen wrote:
Stay with it brother........ it will pay huge dividend in the end, rest assured you are in the good hands of the brotherhood as you can see by all the responses. Help is but a click away! these are really a fine bunch of fellows..... just ask!!

Yes we are a fine bunch of fellows. Well at least I am. I am not so sure about all the others.

Al (in Canada)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 2:14 am

Hey AL....... lol!
Back to top Go down
mw306

Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Stick with it. Just quit cigars myself. Some days one or two lights other days
half a box of matches. Prince Albert seems to stay lit after the second light.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gonefishing

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 2:28 pm

I thought the OTC's were just junk tobacco, am I wrong? I guess I could try that but with all that good baccy sitting in my closet............ Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 3:10 pm

otc baccy is claimed to be real bad but I found Walnut, Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh to be really nice stuff. Most of it being good old American Burley! All the brothers would disagree but one..... go ask Justpipes! Shocked
Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm not the authority the rest of these guys are but have travelled a path similar to yours. I smoked imported, hand rolled cigars for most of the last 10 years until I picked up the pipe 15 months ago. I seldom smoked fewer than 4 churchills in a day and quite a few more on golf or fishing days. I still have two humidors full of good cigars that I don't know if I'll ever smoke. I last tried a cigar over 6 months ago. It was a good dominican that had previously been among my favorites. It was work to finish it. They just can't compare to pipes in the flavor, pleasure of the smoke, or variety. And price, WOW what an unexpected difference. I buy a little bit of tobacco and an occassional pipe and spend less in 6 months than I was spending in one. Stick with it!

I'll echo the previous post on OTC's. I regularly smoke Prince Albert and have some Walnut. I smoke a lot of English, too, but I always keep Prince Albert around. The Prince Albert is a clean burley smoke that is a fine daily smoke for me. It is also easy to get, easy to light, easy to keep lit.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gonefishing

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

I agree with amount of cigars and cost Shocked I usually smoke 2-3 Padron 26's or 64's and an Opus or 2 per day*7days=Expensive habit Shocked I tried an Illusione 888 last night and could only get through half of it...Damn pipe Laughing I think pipe tobacco does sneak up on you and then you smoke a cigar and wonder WTF?? Well, off to Lake Kampeska for a smoke and some fishing while the wife and kids play at the jungle gym....and then the EVIL beast that is Walmart lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sat May 22, 2010 1:43 am

GoneFishng.........

I bet this is what happens!

You light the pipe and suck hard at it......... desperate search for full flavor and the like.
you smoke more butane or sulphur from the fire you use.....
you continue to draw in order to keep the pipe lit...... a frantic attempt to avoid another darn relight.
the pipe bowl gets hot...... the smoke gets hot..........
..........the the inevitable disaster........ your mouth burns......... everything goes dull and bitter!
you wonder what the hell you are doing this for............. and you are suddenly reminded of the fact that there are millions of other brothers out there who love the pipe!

I come from a pack and a half of chesterfield filter a day......... I expected the pipe to be the same, and found out it was quite the opposite.
Stick with it........ you will learn to love it. 80% of all people who pick up the pipe stop smoking it around the stage you are at right now!
Next time you light your pipe, spend more time preparing the pack. In this lies the secret to a fantastic smoke. I often foul up a good smoke by rushing through the packing process. 8 years later I still have the above crap mentioned smoke if I am not careful with my pre smoke prep.
Sit quiet and relax where no one will bug you and focus on the job at hand. Smoke slowly and gently and if the pipe goes out just relight it. There are no medals for guys who smoke a bowl with one light. Focus on the flavors and taste. Remember, if the bowl gets hot you are on your way to slicing your tongue with razor blades. The bowl should be moderately warm but never hot. Va's tend to smoke a little hotter than say burley.

In a nutshell ...... smoke at a relaxed pace and remember, that is why some refer to it as the "art of pipe smoking"
Stick with it brother, you will love it in time.
P.s. I often enjoy a beverage with my pipe. Coffee goes well for me. Avoid fizzy drinks tho'

When all else fails ...... ask the brothers here for help!
cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
abbacab

Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 am

Read somewhere that:" A cigarette is to be smoked, a cigar is to be enjoyed, but a pipe is to be savored." Slow and easy is the only way to win this race.

Another way to look at it is that if smoking a cigar is like driving an automatic, then smoking a pipe is like driving a stick. It takes a bit longer to learn but can be so much more fun once you do. (I remember years ago admitting to some old sod that I couldn't drive a standard. He squinted at me and said: " What ARE you, a GIRL?".) pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 am

My wife taught me to drive stick. No lie. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sun May 23, 2010 1:49 am

Frost..really?? lol!
Back to top Go down
Strongirish

Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Stick   Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 am

I smoke a pipe and both my cars are a stick! i guess it matches up. I can't imagine my sports car with an automatic, I mean whats the point? Any way it's a good analogy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sun May 23, 2010 7:05 am

Frost wrote:

You must ah growed up in tha city! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
abbacab

Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sun May 23, 2010 9:28 am

Point Killer. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PegLegEd

Registration date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: I may be done with pipes   Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 am

Justpipes wrote:
Frost wrote:

You must ah growed up in tha city! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm not much of a Gambler but I bet his Wife has taught him a lot of things. HA HA HE HE. HE HAW
Ed
Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I may be done with pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: