HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Going to China, need advice:)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ultraman

Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Going to China, need advice:)   Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 am

Hey guys,

I'm going to China in two weeks and was wondering if anyone had ever taken pipes or tobacco there. As I'm new to pipe smoking, I've never travelled with pipes or tobacco. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm in China right now. I brought 4 tins and 4 pipes, a tamper, cleaners...the whole kit and kaboodle. I'm not sure what the limits are (I could only find info on cigarette limits) but nobody said a word to me.

I suggest you bring whatever you think you'll need. Both pipes and pipe tobacco are luxury items here and are priced accordingly. That is, much higher than in the USA. A 50g tin of Frog Morton in my local Beijing pipe shop was 150 RMB (about 22 bucks and rising as of yesterday's currency unpegging). Cigarettes, by contrast, are about a buck a pack for basic level brands.

And if you aren't in a city with a western orientation (Beijing, Shanghai), your tobacco choices will probably consist of nothing more than Captain Black and MacBaren Original, if that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Spent five weeks in Shanghai last summer, and took my pipes and tobacco with me. There are very few places to buy pipe tobacco or pipes for that matter, and the few shops I found (at least in Shanghai, which is the largest and most cosmopolitan city in China) were very upscale, with overly high prices on tobacco and $5,000 hand painted Dunhills!

My advice is take what you need, no one seems to care what you bring in.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ultraman

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Great! Thanks for the info guys.

I was worried about getting over there with pipes I really like and then having trouble getting back.

BTW Beaupipe, how's the weather there right now. The last time I was there was last October and it was very pleasant. I've heard it's REALLY humid in the summer, but I grew up in the Ohio Valley and am used to it.

Also, have you visited the Savinelli store in Beijing? It looks really nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thecrowdog

Registration date : 2010-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I can "ditto" what the other guys said. I traveled a bit in eastern China this year and brought 2 pipes and maybe 6 oz of tobacco. No one checked it coming in, or when flying within the country, or when I left. I kept my eyes open for some kind of "local" product but had no luck. I thought for sure that I would find small shops with locally made pipes and that there would be some "favorite" brand of Chinese tobacco but I came up empty. All the tobacco places I found were loaded with cigarettes instead. I asked my local friend and he asked his friends, but none of them smoke pipes and none of them knew of anything helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:30 pm

I think the big question here is, "How long are you going to be there?" A two week trip is one thing...get along fine with maybe a minimum of two pipes and you can calculate your own tobacco consumption. If you're going for two months...whole 'nuther story. A year? Yike!!!

Consider taking 'highly flavored tobaccos that you could blend with local cigarette tobaccos for new and amazing blends. Make sure it's a flake or broken flake of something substantial re: construction as the cigarette weeds will be shag, etc.and tend to burn really fast in a bowl. Also, maybe something with lots of Latakia to mask the indiginous flavors...and at the same time slow the burn! Be sure it's somthing you would want to smoke on it's own as well, cause the whole 'project' could be a bust! lol

Whatever the answer is - good luck with it...God bless and keep you safe in your travels...and let us know how it all turned out!

View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:08 pm

don't eat horseflesh. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Don't ask what it is. If it's good, eat it. Very Happy

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:08 am

Carlos wrote:
Don't ask what it is. If it's good, eat it. Very Happy

that's good advice. except unless it's horse. and as valky has pointed out, it will be the mane course. ha! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:24 am

don't go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ultraman

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:06 am

Wow! Talk about blast from the past:)

I was in China waaay back in July. Without even trying, I ran across three different pipe shops in Beijing. Not much in the way of tobacco, but they all carried Savinellis and Petersons.

I was also able to smoke my pipe at every restaurant and hotel.

Never had horse (my Swiss friends are quite fond of that). However, I did have a strange treat at one particular restaurant. Several pieces of beef were placed in a boiling pot in the middle of the table. After they'd cooked a while, the waitress gave us plastic gloves and straws. When I asked what to do, I was told to take a beef bone, insert the straw, and suck the marrow. It was REALLY good!

Anyway, I had a great time and was overwhelmed by the hospitality of my Chinese friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Going to China, need advice:)   Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:28 pm

I've made four short trips to Beijing, and run into a few pipe shops there. The prices were very high, and I am not certain that all the pipes I saw were authentic. I know a lot of stuff there is fake, though very convincing of authenticity if you aren't aware of it. The thing I noticed was that there were two nearly identical pipes of different brands--I believe it was the same factory spittin' out the same pipes and slapping different logos on them. They were too expensive, anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1

Going to China, need advice:)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1