HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A sunny South African hello

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A sunny South African hello   Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Hahaha, yes. I thought it would be nice to welcome folks in their own language. The South African Brothers are coming out of the woodwork these days after all. I have to admit that my Dutch is quite weak so I got a little help with the translations... By the way, Piet, what exactly is Afrikaans?? Is English the most used language there? I grew up speaking Norwegian, the English, now Spahish, so I love languages in general...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A sunny South African hello   Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:34 pm

MisterE wrote:
Hahaha, yes. I thought it would be nice to welcome folks in their own language. The South African Brothers are coming out of the woodwork these days after all. I have to admit that my Dutch is quite weak so I got a little help with the translations... By the way, Piet, what exactly is Afrikaans?? Is English the most used language there? I grew up speaking Norwegian, the English, now Spahish, so I love languages in general...

ahaaaa E good question, Afrikaans is a variation of Dutch, The Cape was colonized in 1652 by the Dutch, as the pioneers moved inland the dialect started to change and Afrikaans was born. If you speak or write afrikaans to the Dutch they will understand you and vice Versa.
They are very similar in character and pronunciation. Real Dutch have an accent true to their country and that sometimes creates a barrier between the two in terms of unerstanding.

Back to top Go down

A sunny South African hello
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: