HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tambolaka

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Number of posts: 2665
Tobacco: Dark Flake, 1792, Cumberland, Nightcap
Pipe: cobs, wire-brush rusticated Jobey, Milville Dublin (my best smoker), tortoise-stained GBD billiard with white acrylic stem, AeroBilliard, taharris stubby smooth Dublin, lots of cobs, blasted Savinelli Autograph
Registration date: 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 am

Jack Straw very graciously sent me a sample, and I greedily smoked it up over a weekend. I was hooked and had to get more.

This is an Indonesian tobacco and has all the strength of other HO tobaccos grown in a tropical climate. It is the king of HOs, some 30-50% stronger than the GH brown ropes. But for all its strength, it didn't overwhelm me. Usually when others talk about tobaccos with a noticeable nicotine presence such as Coniston Cut Plug or University Flake, they talk about putting the pipe down when they feel the onset of green gills syndrome, and that would certainly be true of this tobacco; but for the frequent HO smoker, I don't feel the nicotine will be overwhelming.

Its taste is earthy, but its dominant characteristic is a profound tobacco taste, quite rich, with an exotic overtone that is hard to pin down, certainly originating in the Indonesian soil. I've never tasted this profound taste in any other tobacco whether it be grown in the US, Europe, Africa or India; it doesn't taste like rope. It produces the most extremely deep taste I've ever encountered.

The tobacco comes in two forms, one that is ready to be smoked, 100 g for $10.00; but it also comes in what the merchant calls "sticks," ~130 g for $12.00. I thought that this meant a canister containing rolled tobacco sticks, but what this really means is a single, very, very dry and very, very dense round piece of tobacco wrapped first by a length of the strongest twine I've ever encountered, in tight circles; then a piece of cellophane with electrician's tape top and bottom, then aluminum foil at the top and bottom, and finally a paper wrapper describing the tobacco, on which it states that the tobacco has been aged 5 years.

I ordered the sticks as I thought it would be fun to prepare them for the bowl myself and will do so again when I reorder; you get an extra 30 or 40 g for $2.00. But the first preparation taught me that preparing the tobacco oneself comes at cost. It took me four hours to slice this stick into strips, then into small squares, then pull apart the squares, separating the layers of leaf, then hydrate it sufficiently, spritzing twice. Subsequently I found out that if I cut the stick into quarters and then the quarters into quarters, the tobacco fractured such that when I prepare the next batch, it won't be nearly so hard to get strips that I can cut into the small squares to pull apart the layers of leaf.

You will need a very strong, sharp instrument to cut sticks, such as a box cutter with a new, razor sharp blade.

The seller says that you can steam the sticks to pull them apart. I didn't want to subject the tobacco to heat but in the future might try this.

I must have for any HO smoker.

You can find this tobacco at:

http://www.thetntshoppe.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

This concern also makes cigars which can be viewed through the "cigar" link at the upper left of the Tambolaka address.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Number of posts: 5483
Tobacco: C&D Oak Alley
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake
Samuel Gawith Cob Plug
Pipe: Peter Heeschen "P" pipes
Registration date: 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 am

That's kind of scary. Shocked

Current pen & ink.
1930's Replica Pelikan M101N Tortoise Shell - Med Nib
Ink = Noodler's Manhattan Blue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Number of posts: 2016
Tobacco: FVF
Pipe: Pete's, GBD's & Jan Pietenpauw
Registration date: 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 am

Got to be the funkiest online tobacconist I've come across. Prices are sharp though. Thanks for the review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Number of posts: 993
Tobacco: Dark Birdseye, Proper English, Stratford and anything tasty that comes within arms reach.
Pipe: Many pipes, all different, all favorites
Registration date: 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 am

Attempted to purchase this morning, but was rebuffed by their payment system - waiting to hear from them to see how to sort it out...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Number of posts: 1041
Registration date: 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:55 am

Interesting... Except for the $20 flat shipping they charge. I'll try it when 4noggins or smokingpipes start stocking it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am

Interesting, thanks for the review!
Back to top Go down
gandalfpc

Number of posts: 993
Tobacco: Dark Birdseye, Proper English, Stratford and anything tasty that comes within arms reach.
Pipe: Many pipes, all different, all favorites
Registration date: 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Heard back from the folks at Tambolaka - payment worked out and several bundles of balinese tobacco on the way Smile

Did some checking up on the stuff - many rave reviews
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dakki

Number of posts: 58
Tobacco: Currently Peterson Irish Whiskey, but still looking...
Pipe: Peterson System De Luxe with Sterling Silver (999) (P-Lip) (1999)
Registration date: 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:58 pm

This sounds like a must-try to me. Thanks for the review!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Number of posts: 1136
Registration date: 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 pm

What is an 'HO' tobacco?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Number of posts: 3755
Tobacco: Exhausted Rooster
Pipe: Rad Davis Golden Blast Apple
Registration date: 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Kapnismologist wrote:
What is an 'HO' tobacco?

I'm guessin' High Octane. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarsarge

Number of posts: 186
Tobacco: OJK, All the C&D Burley Flakes, SG SamsFlake, Night Train, SG FVF, Semois, scented Lakelands
Pipe: Stanwell, Mastro de Paja, Boswell
Registration date: 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 pm

I've got about an ounce of this stuff...Guess I need to try it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Number of posts: 1136
Registration date: 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
Kapnismologist wrote:
What is an 'HO' tobacco?

I'm guessin' High Octane. :?:

Makes sense; thought it was an industry term I had yet to come across. Whew!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Kapnismologist wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Kapnismologist wrote:
What is an 'HO' tobacco?

I'm guessin' High Octane. Question

Makes sense; thought it was an industry term I had yet to come across. Whew!

Good thing you asked Kap, I didn't know either...... cheers
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

Number of posts: 2665
Tobacco: Dark Flake, 1792, Cumberland, Nightcap
Pipe: cobs, wire-brush rusticated Jobey, Milville Dublin (my best smoker), tortoise-stained GBD billiard with white acrylic stem, AeroBilliard, taharris stubby smooth Dublin, lots of cobs, blasted Savinelli Autograph
Registration date: 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 am

I've referred to high nicotine blends as HO or High Octane for so long that I've forgotten that it's not a widely known term.

I've seen the photo of the stick form and the "white powder" to its right several times. The stick photo faithfully renders the tobacco in that state except part of the wrapping is gone (see review). The white "tobacco" to its right is simply, I guess, the inside of the label affixed to the 100 g prepped tobacco. I thought it was white powder and had a very difficult time maintaining this belief as I couldn't image what stage the tobacco would have been in in this white state.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tambolaka   Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:28 am

Either way AB, I really like that term HO........ have a couple of blends that will shortly be baptized that!!!!
...... starting with Old Joe Krantz........ cool!
Back to top Go down

Tambolaka

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next