HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

One Of A Kind Pipe To Be

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
velveteagle

Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: One Of A Kind Pipe To Be   Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:40 pm

For years I watched this weird growth on this Tulip Tree. ( Tulip Tree )

It came up missing off the tree a year ago.. Found it yesterday.. I am going to make a pipe out of it. It has not rotted but formed a nice dry shape.. Now to figure out how to treat the outside and fit a stem and mouth piece to it.. Fist sized head.. I will show it but the pictures do not do it justice.. Now to do some study on how to make a pipe.. This is going to take time but be fun also..
Chuck

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: One Of A Kind Pipe To Be   Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Might be a problem - my quick peek into tulipwood toxicity dug this up:

"tulipwood contains dalbergiones (severe skin irritants)"

many exotic woods have toxic properties - can be skin and breathing hazards with sawdust mostly, but smoking out of them may release substances from the wood...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: One Of A Kind Pipe To Be   Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 pm

gandalfpc wrote:
Might be a problem - my quick peek into tulipwood toxicity dug this up:

"tulipwood contains dalbergiones (severe skin irritants)"

many exotic woods have toxic properties - can be skin and breathing hazards with sawdust mostly, but smoking out of them may release substances from the wood...

This baby is pure dry now.. Did a super clean away of loose bark and dirt. Been carving the bowl out by hand tool. They made water buckets etc.. I was thinking of putting a layer of terracotta clay inside and letting it cure and seal it then give it a try.. The stem and mouth piece I have not figured out as yet.. I ordered or won two pipes on ebay last night that have long stems I may use one of them.. I think sealing all the outside of the pipe is what I have to read up on.. I will use a light stain I think.. I may also make the stem and find a long small drill bit to do some touchy drilling.. I once made a pipe out of a piece of oak when I was young.. It worked for a smoker after a good break in.. The oils are basically gone from this piece.. I shall use caution.. But clay may work or a slow break in.. Not inhaling but run a slow air blower on it for the first few burns.. Its a fantastic looking head..
Thanks by the way gandalfpc..
Chuck.. Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle

One Of A Kind Pipe To Be
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1