HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Slang Words

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Slang Words   Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

We have people all over the world.

I know in Canada we are influenced by not only the British, but the French. Hence, it's honour not honor.

Then there are "slang" words.

I'm fascinated by our South African brethern who sometimes write "Jip". Ain't got a clue what they're talking about. Rolling Eyes

On a Gunsmoke episode, a women came into Marshall Dillon's Sheriff's office and said:

"I need to jaw with yeah marshall".

I think she was depicted as being from Tennessee.

Some of you folks dont speak English, eh?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:35 pm

I live in Missouri. We had someone from Brussels who (1) asked a secretary if she had a rubber and (2) named one of his sons Coon ( lam not sure of the spelling but I know how it was pronounced. He was in high school and I can only imagine how the other kids called out his name). We all learned latter that rubber is the British word for eraser, but I have no idea about the latter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Slang words   Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Yeah, I never noticed how much we Kansans use "you all, howdy and purdy" (pretty) until I went elsewhere. Howscome I wonder?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

After living in the USA for 15 years and growing up in Ontario right on Lake Erie where the only TV we could get was from either Cleveland or Detroit (should have had some influence on my speech), people still look at me and ask "you are from Canada, aren't you"?

Go figure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Oh, the treasure of the southern dialect. Y'all ain't got nary an idear what yer missin'!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:16 pm

All a Yinz talk funny.

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:38 am

What seemed like an eternity ago I drove for a company out of Little Rock,Ar... They were fond of bringing folk from all over the place to drive for them...
We had this fellow from Whales, can't remember his name but he always called me Brad... Any hoot I would get so tickled when people would tell him to speak English.. "I'm speaking the bloody queens English" he would say in frustration....

Ironically I was one of the few that could understand him...
We talked alot,i don't know if its because he liked me or I was the only one he could hold a conversation without having to repeat himself...

After quite a bit of discussion we decided that I could understand him because of where I was raised.. Alot of Welsh settled in Eastern Ky.. Due to the pre interstate isolation of the area and the poverty the language was ' protected' from modernization, so we figured that I actually spoke closer to ' real' common man english than the others....

Its a long shot, but it may very well be the case
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:42 am

After a moments thought....
It also could have been the influence of that mighty book of old, The King James Bible...
In retrospect its quite phenomenal the influence it has on not only the areas life in general but the language in particular...

I still shudder a bit when familiar passages are read from a ' modern' translation... It kinda feels like your moms calling you by the neighbor kids name..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:46 am

My wife likes to watch the HGTV show Househunters. They do a lot of overseas shows. It always makes me laugh that the countries where they have to do subtitles for the English speakers always includes Ireland, Scotland and some parts of England. The brogue is so thick you can't make out a word they say sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:57 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
We have people all over the world.

I know in Canada we are influenced by not only the British, but the French. Hence, it's honour not honor.

Then there are "slang" words.

I'm fascinated by our South African brethern who sometimes write "Jip". Ain't got a clue what they're talking about. Rolling Eyes

On a Gunsmoke episode, a women came into Marshall Dillon's Sheriff's office and said:

"I need to jaw with yeah marshall".

I think she was depicted as being from Tennessee.

Some of you folks dont speak English, eh?

Jip we do sp. Jip meaning a strong confirmed yes!
Here we spell it honour and colour....

Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm

My favorite souther word (and one which I often use) is Mommerinems. As in, "After church let's go up air to Mommerinems house and see if they're to home. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:46 pm

I was with some English colleagues of mine in Los Angeles many summers ago. We went to a convenience store where one on the English girls asked the cashier if he had any "fags" (in England that is slang for cigarettes). The obviously gay cashier took great offense and told her so! "I am a gay man and I don't appreciate being talked to like that!" he said, or something to that effect. The poor English girl was shocked that she had so offended him and apologized- trying to explain what she meant but he was in no forgiving mood. I think we ended up elsewhere for her fags, where she was sure to ask for them as cigarettes... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Ha! You should try understanding the ghetto slang young kids in the cities use these days.

Yo dawg I been workin this lil shortie like mad, but she ain't down wit it, know what I'm sayin? Fo shizzle home, bitch be dissin my ass.

Suspect Uh, right! Whatever you say Neutral

Try holding a conversation with a 20 year old laborer with a strong latin accent who insists on talking like this scratch I have to work along side a bunch of them on jobsites. I usually just say "Dude, I don't have a clue what the f*!@ you just said" and walk away Laughing

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

Yo dawg I been workin this lil shortie like mad, but she ain't down wit it, know what I'm sayin? Fo shizzle home, bitch be dissin my ass.

Excuse me, stewardess, but I speak jive:

"I've been attempting to impress [a particular] young lady for some time, but she doesn't appear to be interested in establishing a relationship."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 pm

LL wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:

Excuse me, stewardess, but I speak jive:

"I've been attempting to impress [a particular] young lady for some time, but she doesn't appear to be interested in establishing a relationship."

AHAHAHHAHAHA!

what be teh prob, mang? Youmadbro? Its iight, teh way i'm looking at it
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm

With my roots coming straight outta Brooklyn, need I say how much that has influenced my speech?

For example:
window = wind-a
pillow = pill-a
them = dem (Dem Bum's - Bklyn. Dodgers)
those = dose
any word with letters "ir" sounds like oi: third = thoid
coffee = cawfee

Of course everyone is familiar with the expression: Fuhgeddaboudit!

It was as if Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton taught phonetics back then...

I really have to catch myself sometimes - although a college education helped curtail most of it!!! But hey, it's my roots, I'm not complainin'!

LOL!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Hunter5117 wrote:
After living in the USA for 15 years and growing up in Ontario right on Lake Erie where the only TV we could get was from either Cleveland or Detroit (should have had some influence on my speech), people still look at me and ask "you are from Canada, aren't you"?
Go figure.

I live just down the road from the crossroads where Hunter grew up, and all these folks think they have no accent, "eh?" but I constantly get comments on mine, to which I respond that i used to have an accent, but I lost it. LOL

I grew up in a "border" state, which to most Canadians they would think of NY, Ohio, Michigan, etc. along the Canada US border, or if pressed might think of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, or California. But we all know (don't we?) that Kentucky is a border state, the border between the USA and the CSA. In Ohio the unfortunate conflict of the 1860's is commemorated as "The War of the Great Rebellion", and in the South it is "The War of Secession".

Kentucky with a star in both flags, and a state government under both jurisdictions. Where Lincoln was born and where his wife was from, and where Jeff Davis went to college. Where in the Bluegrass region at least "you-all" had two syllables and was the plural form of the second person pronoun. (Further South the word is "y'all" and has only one syllable.) But up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky you could still get thee'd and thou'd when I grew up, that being the personal form of the second person, and even occasionally a "ye", although that is a corruption. [before spelling was regularized y was used to show the "th" sound, as in "Ye Olde Shoppe", which would be "The Old Shop".]

but beware if come to the South the accent is contagious for most people, the exceptions being people with queer (as in odd) accents like those from Massachusetts and NYC, or Jersey. spend a couple of weeks and when you go home everyone will comment upon how Southern (i.e. cultured and educated) you sound. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 pm

It dawned on me that the stewardess line from a few posts back might not register with anyone under 40 or so.

Man, I feel old. Laughing

Back in the early 70's the movie Airplane was quoted every time you turned around, much like The Big Labowski is today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUhMM2zhwI

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:44 am

Al in Canada wrote:
. In Ohio the unfortunate conflict of the 1860's is commemorated as "The War of the Great Rebellion", and in the South it is "The War of Secession".

Many people in the South refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression". Laughing

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
beaupipe

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

Rad Davis wrote:
Al in Canada wrote:
. In Ohio the unfortunate conflict of the 1860's is commemorated as "The War of the Great Rebellion", and in the South it is "The War of Secession".

Many people in the South refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression". Laughing

Rad
Yes. I was teaching a class in Atlanta once (commuting from Toronto) and I started talking about the Civil War. One of the students interrupted, turned to the rest of the class and said, "He means the War of Northern Aggression." Then she looked at me, shrugged, and said, "I'm originally from Ohio. So I'm bilingual."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 am

Rad Davis wrote:
Al in Canada wrote:

Rad

Yes, but I was referring to the "public" description, like you see on the plaque at the base of the statue the was inevitably in every town square.

Being more neutral in Kentucky it was usually described as "The Civil War", and they commemorated both Union and Rebel heroes,

It was a shock to read that "Great Rebellion" description up North the first time, almost as strange as the first time some one in Canada referred to me as a "Yankee". Usually when I heard that sobriquet it was preceded with the adjective "damned" and it had never been applied to me, more generally applied to some one from the northeast who was going to tell us how life should be lived. Used a lot when IBM opened a plant in Lexington and sent a lot of people from New York down to Kentucky to get it up and running. With all their whining about moving to the wilds of Kentucky, it was surprising how few of them used their guaranteed option to move back to Schenecaty, New York when their three years was up. By then most of them had learned to talk civilized of course. bounce

Al (in Canada)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al in Canada

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:03 am

beaupipe wrote:
Rad Davis wrote:
Al in Canada wrote:

Rad
Yes. I was teaching a class in Atlanta once (commuting from Toronto) and I started talking about the Civil War. One of the students interrupted, turned to the rest of the class and said, "He means the War of Northern Aggression." Then she looked at me, shrugged, and said, "I'm originally from Ohio. So I'm bilingual."

AMEN brother. How true that rings. I can see it in my minds eye. lol! lol!

At a UK football game at the time the band would play the National Anthem and My Old Kentucky Home, with the latter bringing tears to the eyes, and then play "Dixie" . And regardless of your opinion of the rights and wrong about the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression/ War of the Great Rebellion Dixie was by far the most rousing and easiest to sing of the songs.

Al (in Canada)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am

This one always clutches me.

Back to top Go down
Maduro Man WCP

Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 am

1st 6 months my ex-wife and i lived in texas, (hand over heart) i had to translate for her, she was from michigain.

my curent wife and i live in kalifornia,(head held in shame) i have to translate for her every time we leave the state because she is a cali girl...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://madmanwcp.wordpress.com/
TallSmoke

PostSubject: Re: Slang Words   Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:31 am

I lived in California for 2.5 years back in my college/post-college days. I went back a few years ago and things seem to be even worse. (No elaboration, just sayin')

Yep, I have discovered that California is not a "state" more than it is a "state of mind." I have no inclination to ever go back.

When my company asks me where I am promotable to, geographically speaking, I tell 'em the 13 Confederate states. That always throws them for a loop.
Back to top Go down

Slang Words
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next