HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Building a deck...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm

While my wife is in Nova Scotia, my oldest son who stays with us, wants to surprise her by building a deck extension. He and a friend accomplished this with a 12 X 16 on Saturday. They used treated wood.

Question Question
Do you need to paint treated wood?

Now we can go outside and one step on the right is this deck that he built.

Well, as you know, one job leads to another. We examined the wood on the existing deck and knew we needed to replace some boards, and the railing wood is pretty bad. I'm sure the existing deck is not much older than 10 years. But the previous owners did not use treated wood. Evil or Very Mad

I came home yesterday and my son and 12 year old grandson had the railing pretty well taken off Shocked

So I'm thinking Idea . Why not go all the way.

Replace the old deck with treated wood Cool

So another Idea . Forget the railing. You come out the back door where the existing deck is. Go to the right where there is one step to the new extension. The step goes along the whole side.

So the idea is to build steps at the front of the existing deck, the whole length, to the ground level.

Using treated wood... why would I need to paint it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 pm

Do you "need/have" to? Nope.

"Can" you? Yep.

I have built three decks and have always just sealed/finished them. I prefer the natural wood look to an acrylic/latex paint job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, Saturday... it was "I have to but can I?" (to match the existing deck)

I googled "painting treated wood"... some suggest to wait a year to let the wood thoroughly dry, even before putting on the sealant. Some suggest don't even use a sealant.

Should I wait until early summer next year? What would you do? The humidity is low here so I suspect I could wait and give it a sealant in mid-September before the snow flies.

I like the natural look as well.... painting a deck is a pain in the azz... When my wife comes home and says "Paint It!" I would like to say, you can't paint that type of wood...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:25 pm

You can seal it about any time you want. It's a matter of preference on the wood drying out. If it properly dries it will lessen the risk of the boards warping from the trapped moisture. If you only top-seal it the boards will still dry from the bottom, though.

If you do wait be sure to give it a good power washing before you seal it. I have always done it in the spring before the bugs come out so they don't get stuck all over it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

I'd put Thompsons Water Seal on it ,,,it seals the wood, waterproofs it, protects against mildew and UV damage,,,they have clear and various tints if you want,,, I've used it on several decks and couldn't be happier,,I just put it on with a sponge mop,,,,,punch in a search for the details if interested,,,

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Internet article on pressure treated wood
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Bub wrote:
Internet article on pressure treated wood
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html

Yep that was the site I came across, among others. But I want some who have experience with it to offer their thoughts so we can dialogue.

arsenic... hmmm... we ban DDT but not treated wood Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 pm

I have two porches and a deck that I built. They are all just treated lumber. I resurface them with a good product every two or three years. Last time I used Cabot's Australian Timber Oil. The deck was built with used lumber. I built it about 8 years ago with lumber that was already about 8 years old---looks fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

They don't use arsenic anymore, so I have been lead to understand. Take it with a grain of salt.

If you want to tell you wide you can't paint treated wood, you can tell her I told you so. It's a lie, but you can tell her I said: "You can't paint treated wood. So sorry."

There - You're off the hook.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:35 am

Go big and enjoy SP! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 pm

She arrived home tonight from Nova Scotia and loves the deck cheers cheers

Thanks to all who offered thoughts. Muchly appreciated. BTW, no mention of painting it, at least yet.... there's always tomorrow Shocked

Will post pictures soon... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:17 am

Slow Puffs wrote:
She arrived home tonight from Nova Scotia and loves the deck cheers cheers

Thanks to all who offered thoughts. Muchly appreciated. BTW, no mention of painting it, at least yet.... there's always tomorrow Shocked

Will post pictures soon... Very Happy

Good to hear SP
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:11 pm

A happy wife is a blessing,,, cheers

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 pm

I used a garden sprayer to spray Thompson's Water seal on my fence. Did the same for the front porch only we used a version with a cedar stain.

If you lay a new treated lumber board on the grass for a couple days. Pick it up. The grass will still die from the chemicals used. Not from lack of sunlight for that short of a time. Shocked

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 pm

The torn down lumber from the old deck was sitting on the grass for over a week until we hauled it to the dump yesterday, and there are a few yellow patches in the grass but it will bounce back. Old painted wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old_salt

Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I've used this stuff for years, great for decks & fencing

I use the " Transparent Redwood". it soaks in, & won't obscure the grain like paint would.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

Treated lumber went through drastic changes several years ago, they took out the arsenic and put in more copper (where it gets the green tint). This however caused it to corrode the galvanized fasteners much more quickly, so now you have to use stainless steel or "double" dipped galvanized fasteners.
As far as the coating, I would recommend a good quality semi-transparent stain from Cabot, Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore that is specific for Decks. Horizontal surfaces need different protection then vertical, so this is important.
I don't recommend Thompsons products unless you enjoy re-coating every year. With the higher grade products you still might get 5 years.
You can usually borrow a moisture meter from your local paint supplier to determine where your wood is, I would get their recommendation for best time to apply as alot depends on local conditions.

(just my .02)
Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Well surprise to me... my wife doesn't want it coated with anything and doesn't even want it sanded.

Her thoughts are:
We have an arbour that we erected a few years ago that sorta hides the view of the small tool shed and other outdoor tools. We left this "as is" and never painted it or coated it. She feels it blends in with deck wood.

Our neighbour has a huge two level deck. They spent all last summer re-sanding it and recoating it. I believe it's made of cedar and over time it darkened too much for them. They dis-assembled the railings and everything to re-sand. (she duly noted that the wife did a lot of the sanding Laughing )

Further, she thinks hauling the patio furniture, barbeque, etc. over the deck will scratch whatever coating is put on.

Hmmmmmmm.... lot less work. Very Happy

Then she says, "Of course, the new patio furniture we'll be getting in the spring will be fun shopping for." Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:42 pm

I'll try to post a few pic's:

This is a few days ago. The "toe-kicks" aren't completed on the steps but now are. The supervisor is the Cocker, Shadow... everything had to meet his specs Very Happy

Looking toward the backyard... your see the fence... my wife painted a "house" on the fence complete with door knob (not painted). This is a small backyard and getting rid of the railing "opened in up". We can sit in the kitchen or deck and enjoy the back yard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

PostSubject: Re: Building a deck...   Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:52 pm

This is looking from the deck:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster